Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
St Albert , Alberta
Newbie Minuet custodian

Good morning fellow Streamers

As a newbie I'd like to say thanks for the warm welcomes I've received from various members.

We're not only new to this site but also brand new and wet behind the ears to trailer life - sooo glad I found the Air Forums site with all its great advice.

I was at an antique car show in June admiring an incredible 1956 Pontiac with matching colours slab-front style trailer. In the course of our chat the owner mentioned he had a restored Airstream for sale, and that it was painted the same colours as his Pontiac. He was selling the Airstream because it was a 1977, so didn't match the year of his 1956 Pontiac t/v. In my mind I was thinking "who in their right mind would paint over a gorgeous shiny aluminum Airstream???" He must have sensed my confusion as he went on to explain that it was an Airstream Argosy, and that it came painted from the factory.

The PO is an auto body mechanic. He fully restored the exterior, including installing a new aluminum belly pan and belly insulation, and polished the aluminum propane tanks. The body was repainted bright white/clearcoat with metallic blue trim - looks gorgeous without appearing garish. In view of her colours we've christened her the Blue Plate Special (for you youngsters, look up the name on Wikipedia). Pictures to follow.

The PO also installed a new axle, brakes, tires, hot water heater and tank, current converter, and refurbished the other systems. On the front he cobbled up chrome, curved checkerplate stone guards, to protect the body underneath the curved windows. The curved windows have very small chips in the Herculean glass. Given their rarity I'm going to make up snap-on travel covers for the front windows.

Apart from new upholstery and curtains throughout, the rest of the interior looks tired and will require refreshing.

As new traileristas, we appreciate the fact that she is a single axle 20 ft long Minuet Six Metre, six inches narrower than the usual 7' 6" - should be easier to learn on in terms of trailer pulling.

Had I known about Air Forums I would have checked on pricing prior to purchasing. At $10K CDN I, and especially She Who Must Be Obeyed, were concerned we had paid too much. However, after seeing the money that can be spent on body work and painting a trailer, plus the new parts the PO installed recently, I'm content we're getting reasonable value for the price. Besides, we always spend more for our toys, don't we? It'll be worth the many miles of smiles.

Looking forward to meeting many of you on the open road.

Remember to keep the shiny side up,
Will
Last Open Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
welcome! At 10K you did OK. Minuets have become fairly desirable in recent years and are commanding higher prices. You'll be glad you spent the dough in the long run - it's a great little trailer (but I might be prejudiced....}

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats! With recent paint and that list of replaced parts, you did well. That's similar to what I got when I sold our Minuet 6.0.

Enjoy the trailer - they're solid, honest trailers.

Tom
Old 07-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
St Albert , Alberta
Thanks for the welcome, Tom.

No doubt some day we'll be following your lead, and moving up to something longer and larger .... like a Safari!
Last Open Road is offline   Reply With Quote