Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Newbie looking for the perfect 31 footer

Hello, I'm new. My name is Bryson and I live in Chicago. I'm in the initial stages of searching for my silvery starship, but after looking at a few different Airstreams I think I favor the vintage 31 foot center bath Sovereign. I'd love to tour more airstreams and hear about folks wanting to sell theirs in my area. I plan to stop by the Lowden Family/Buddy Rally - August 19-22 - Oregon, IL to tour some air and make some friends.

I'm starting with nothing - no tow vehicle, no experience with an RV, I've never even bought a car before, so I'll need a lot of advice, help with inspections, etc. I'd love to remodel the interior and eventually full-time it. I also have a house in Austin, TX, so if anyone around there has a potential rig for me to buy, that works too.
engelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've found the right place for all things Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Whats the deal on the house in Austin? Looking to barter (?) You will LOVE Airstreaming with the rest of us. Don't bite off too much at once! With Airstreams, you got to kind of 'Sneak up on them'. Or it will sneak up on you. Stay with us here and keep asking questions. Tell us more about yourself and your 'what you do'. What are you going to do when you finally get rigged up? Fulltime? Week
end get away? Welcome to these forums man you will be utterly surprised at these people that come from all walks of life. Does anyone have any idea just how many members are on this site to date?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Hey Bryson...welcome. Sorry, I already bought the PERFECT 31'er and it's not for sale. Kidding of course. I was like you a mere 8 or so months ago. I used Craigs List to find mine...lots of streams there for sale. Try a site called Search Tempest...it searches all the CL's in a radius that you determine. I found it to be invaluable when I was looking for a trailer. I bought a '77 and am VERY happy. I like the 70's era because they are technically vintage and have the vista view windows. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me I'll try to answer.
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
read a lot about the 70s trailers before you jump in. There are many common and of course fixable problem areas.
I have had two, enjoyed both.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Whats the deal on the house in Austin? Looking to barter (?) You will LOVE Airstreaming with the rest of us. Don't bite off too much at once! With Airstreams, you got to kind of 'Sneak up on them'. Or it will sneak up on you. Stay with us here and keep asking questions. Tell us more about yourself and your 'what you do'. What are you going to do when you finally get rigged up? Fulltime? Week
end get away? Welcome to these forums man you will be utterly surprised at these people that come from all walks of life. Does anyone have any idea just how many members are on this site to date?
I work from home and just need a laptop and cell phone for my job, so I bought a house in Austin so I could spend winters there if I wanted. But I also am an actor and getting away for several months can interfere with show schedules. So for now a friend is living in the house, but that situation may change in future. At present, not really room to barter with her and her friend in it. Maybe in a year or two.

I hope once I get the vintage trailer fixed up to buy some land in a couple of places and float between Chicago, Austin, the west coast and maybe southwest. In Austin I can park at my house, but in the other areas I just want to have some water and electric hookups and maybe a barn to store her in. Eventually, rent out the house in Austin and Chicago and full time it in the AS on the road and on my outposts.

But that is years from now. I can afford to buy and perhaps do a little work now, so only weekending for a few years. Later, maybe insulating and redoing the interior.
engelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
Hi Bryson, we live in Austin and are new to the forum as of this week. We also do not have an airstream or a TV....so it looks like we are both in the same boat....We are looking for a small one , preferably a late 60's caravel or a Bambi but as we read more and more of the forum , we keep asking ourselves why we are not looking for a newer model in the 2000"s.....each time I think I know what a trailer should sell for or at least what a good buy looks like , I look at ebay and am amazed at the prices that the trailers seem to be selling for ....hey, all of you seasoned airstreamers.....is this just something that we as a newbie will need to learn of what ?
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
sorry but we almost forgot to welcome you to Austin...You will love it here.
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote