Old 01-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
2002 19' Bambi
Dorchester , Massachusetts
Please disregard my last question.
I answered it myself by just switching it on.

galfoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member
1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Gary, while you're traveling around, most Wal-Mart stores will let you park overnight in the outer parking lot, as will a lot of malls. Just check with the management out of curtesy. The Army corp of engineers has a lot of camping sites all over the place and most are free yet not really advertised. There's books out that list them. There's alot of good camping fro free or at least for cheap.

shadowwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

Meet the New England unit - they are a young at heart, fun group - and will be delighted to show you a lot of practical things about safe and fun use of your Airstream.

JohnHD did a great thread on winterizing, complete with pictures. Saved me a bundle and a 150 mile trip to the Airstream dealership.

It took me a really long time to learn to back up, then finally I got it. The biggest thing is "LESS is more". I kept trying to muscle the trailer around, and it turns out you need little teensy girlie turns on your steering wheel. Find a vacant parking lot and practice, practice, practice. Key is put your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel and move them in the direction that you want your trailer's rear end to go. 1/4 turn or less. As your trailer starts to turn let the wheel go and straighten out so that your tow vehicle starts to follow your Airstream.

With a Bambi you should be able to fit across a row of two parking spaces. Get your hitch over the dividing line between the two spaces and nothing should be hanging out on either end. I always buy something from Walmart or any other place I boondock: bottled water, paper towels, food, etc. Good parking lot boondocking manners:
  • don't put out your awning, chairs, barbecue grill, etc.
  • Check for signs that forbid overnight parking and move on if you see them.
  • Keep your step up if it will overhang a walkway or another parking space.
  • If you pick a big parking lot, and stay as far away from the store as possible very little likelihood that anyone will mind you boondocking.
  • Leave early in the morning so you don't impede customers or deliveries to the store.
Cracker Barrels often have spaces for RV's - I'm not wild about their food, but it works.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
2002 19' Bambi
Dorchester , Massachusetts
Hey Paula,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I hope to be touring soon.
I'm in the process of having my cushions reuphosltered, changing out the bath sink and faucet with stainless one, and ripping out the carpet and swapping for VCT.
When I'm done I'll send some pics.

galfoman is offline   Reply With Quote