Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #1

Atlanta , Georgia
Smile New Member-ISO ~30? to Fulltime as Family

Greetings,
We plan to RV, been learning/reading for months, and just now seriously thinking AS would be a good fit for us. currently, watching the used market for what may fit our budget and limited skills/time for reno. Not much RV experience, lots of travel experience, and plenty of love for simplicity.

I think we will enjoy state and national parks most, and lean toward a 30'. But some 34' are interesting but we debate the 3 axel and few more inches that affect getting into smaller parks roads and lots. But with 2 kids (9 and toddler), longer bunk we need to build would fit well in 34'.

The creativity in the ASers is incredible, so excited this is the path we are headed down.

happy travels,
Jen
canoemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Welcome and good luck Jen. Your tow vehicle might dictate which model, 30 or 34 feet. I've had both and would hesitate to tow the 34 with a 1/2 ton pickup or SUV.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Well, you sure have a challenging dream!

Practical and personal input from someone "doing it" is key to your decision.

My bride of nearly 40 years, our 15# Bichon and I have made some moderately long "test" trips of 2-4 weeks and up to 2000 miles on one trip
over our past 3.5 years of owning our 1999 34' Excella.

We sold our home of 27 years in August and have lived in our 34' since... over 8 months while renovating our "new" home.

It has been a huge "adjustment". Mostly for Phyllis. Let me just say, if you are bothered by "clutter", are OCD, become overwhelmed by behavior of family, you will be challenged. Add to this basically "building" a home together can be stressful... along with the downsizing it is what it is. You will need, you must all contribute positively.

Now, imagine having problems surface with the AS systems, water, waste, DC & AC supplies, etc... if you can't handle yourself, how will you get stuff fixed ? If unlivable for a time, where will you are for family?

To get mail forwarding and medicines sent to you, check out "Escapees"... I hear they work well.

Those are immediate situations to prepare for.

Now, look up Lolo (Long Long Honeymoon) online and YouTube. Some funny stories and tips. There are other videos of "full timing" worth a laugh.. some good... some.. well, of so good.

It can be done!!! Just be real to yourselves about the dream.

God Bless!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #4

Atlanta , Georgia
...it will be an experiment

We know it will be a different way of life, but feeling good as we already sell off/donate/give away so much stuff. We want to travel with our kids and take advantage of my husbands office-free job.

thanks for the welcomes!
canoemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
Met a young couple and their four (yes four) children at the JC, they were having the subfloor replaced in their 2016 28'?? (The one with a queen in front and bunk in the rear.) The kids were little still, maybe 3, 5, 6 and 8. Dad home-schooled and mom was a work from home employee. Lucky for them, the floor was a warranty fix.

Kids were very well behaved while on the tour. I'm not sure I could take all four of my kids full time in a trailer, I might be down to zero by now. Their TV was configured interesting as well. Had a sort of sleeper cab behind the crew cab that didn't cover the entire bed of the truck, just enough to put in two seats.

These folks proved it can be done, you just got to want to.

By the way, I also recall seeing a youtube video of a couple that converted a rear twin to hold four kids and the married couple stayed in the forward sleeper sofa.
rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Smyrna , Tennessee
Jen, are you still looking for a newer model bunkhouse for your family? We are selling our 2015 FC 30' Bunk. you can contact me at rhonda1210@gmail.com.
Rhonda1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Oregon
This family of five full times in a 27. Currently wandering.com
Dave18134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and welcome to Air Forums: There are many folks who full time in their Airstreams and enjoy the challenges. Frankly, Airstreams are built as travel trailers, they are not rated for full timing and four seasons. Some trailers, fifth wheels and motorhomes are rated for full time living. The rating comes from better appliances, better construction, better insulation and the like.

Further, living full time in an Airstream is likely more expensive than a small town apartment. Make sure you figure your budget carefully. I read here on the Forums that $3300 a month or more would not surprise.

So read up on those like cwf who are living full time in an Airstream and go into this thing fully informed, no surprises.

We have a 1986 Limited 34' and find it very comfortable. They are less expensive than some of the smaller trailers. I think they have good value. Yep, we pull ours with a Super Duty diesel.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote