Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
New Member from Seattle, WA

Hello,

I'm a new member (Jim) from West Seattle, Washington and wanted to introduce myself and our new Airstream.

My wife and I just moved up to Seattle from Houston, Texas about a year ago. I spent the first 40 years of my life in Texas and the wife and I wanted a change in scenery. We are outdoors type people who wanted to live somewhere surrounded by natural beauty that we can get out and enjoy. 100+ degree temps and oppressive humidity in southest Texas does not make you want to get outside much. So far we are loving Seattle and the Pacific Northwest and we figured what better way to get out and experience it than in an Airstream?

So, a few weeks ago we bought a 2008 22 ft. Safari Sport for our first travel trailer. We wanted something small and easy to learn the ropes with and the 22ft seemed perfect. We found it locally at a non AS dealer and it's in like new condition. The previous/original owner who traded it in on a big diesel pusher barely used it and it shows. It looks like it just came out of the factory. I think we got a great deal and were lucky to find one it such great condition. The only thing that I have found is a tempermental heater. I think it's just the thermostat but I'll look into that more a little later.

We're pulling it with a Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 and the truck seems to be more than enough for the trailer. Very easy to pull and gas mileage does not seem to really suffer. Not that gas mileage was great to begin with.

We took our maiden voyage a couple weeks ago up to Orcas Island for a long weekend to figure everything out and see what we need and don't need for future trips. Everything went really well and we instantly became hooked on the idea of many more future trips. Really didn't have have any issues at all and the 22 ft is really liveable for the myself, the wife and a pretty big dog. My wife has already found someone to do some custom cushion covers for the interior to give it some color, as she says.

We've already got a couple trips lined up and can't wait to get out again. If we could just ditch the jobs, we would be set!

Anyway, thought I would pop in a say hello. Thanks to everyone that contributes here. It's an amazing resource for a newbie like me. I have been soaking up a lot of information and I'm sure I will have some future questions.

Oh, how about a photo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040277.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	158580  
JSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Welcome to the forum, we are Seattle natives who summer up here now. My wife is from West Seattle, down by the ferry dock. Not to be negative, but make sure that nice little trailer is dogged-down, big time, when you're not using her. Some forum members got theirs stolen in your area a couple of years ago and my feeling it was in a shipping container and on it's way before the people even woke up. Feel free to post or PM should you have any questions about this beautiful part of the country!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I won one of these from Hiwheel Joe at the Air Midwest rally and I think it would be pretty hard to get off. It moves around so it would be difficult to cut.
Attached Images

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
I won one of these from Hiwheel Joe at the Air Midwest rally and I think it would be pretty hard to get off. It moves around so it would be difficult to cut.
If I had a trailer, I'd go for the 220 volt "crispy critter" option if anyone touched it.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary

If I had a trailer, I'd go for the 220 volt "crispy critter" option if anyone touched it.
I've always thought about that. Ever see Robo Cop?

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Thanks Mike and Brad.

I got the trailer in a secure gated storage facility w/ a hitch lock as well. I think it's pretty safe and it's in a pretty part of West Seattle w/ lots of traffic . Nothing is every bulletproof but I guess that's what insurance is for. But, I will keep 220 volt option in mind as well!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Hi Jim,
Welcome to the forum. I know how exciting the new travel trailer adventures can be. I still am like a kid at Christmas every time I am ready to start on a new journey. And, I have been an Airstreamer for more than 20 years.
That temperamental heater could be the thermostat as you mentioned. My furnace would heat to several degrees above the set temperature. Then it would stay off till it was very cold before it would go through another heat cycle. I changed out the T-stat to a digital type. Now the interior is far more comfortable. I think the interior temp now swings less than one degree.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
I do think it's the thermostat. When it turns on for the first time it does fine. It kicks off but then it really doesn't want to come back on unless you increase the temp. It then kicks on, most of the time. The last night of our recent trip, it kicked on once or twice and then would not kick on at all. The next morning before we pulled out, it kicked right on when I tested it out of curiosity.

Could be the heater itself but I'm more inclined to believe it's the thermostat. I'll probably switch it out for a digital unit. Even if it ends up being the heater, it would be nice to have the digital thermo regardless.

Some camp neighbors with an Airstream said they prefer a small electric heater over the built in gas heater. Saves on propane. Not really sure that would be a good idea?

Thanks for the info on your personal prior heater issue.

Jim
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Short the thermostat wires together, that should prove something. I doubt that's the deal. Is it a Suburban, the masters of the chill?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
Welcome! It's cool to bring a rock star everywhere you camp... Be ready for the attention... I've toured Orcas and many nearby islands, but on motorcycles... I'm wondering what it costs to ferry your TV and your 'stream from Seattle to Orcas. It's a dream on a bike. First on and off...affordable too, but still more than I thought coming from out of the area. Thanks!
onemanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Great Move on Both Accounts

Congrats on acquiring the AS and the move from Texas to Washington. We moved from Dallas to Oregon seven years ago and just got around to buying our first AS this past month. We have already been out a couple of times and are planning to attend our first AS rally next week. We love the great northwest because of all the great outdoor activities here and the AS is a absolute fantastic way to better experience all that this beautiful region has to offer.
Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Mike, Suburban? Sorry still learning.

Onemanclan,

Yeah, the ferry trip cost was a bit of a shock. I should have looked up the price. For a TV and trailer between 30 and 40 feet plus my wife as a passenger, it was $215! We were over 40 feet but the lady working the booth felt sorry for me. It could/should have been 40 to 50 feet at about $250.

A guy in an RV we met at the campground on Orcas was a retired Washington State ferry captain. He rides for free as long as there's room.

Jim
Old 05-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
Welcome to the forum, I am new too. My wife and born and raised in west Seattle and are also new to streaming. We have a 21' sovereign. It's a 1994, and we love it.
Congrats on the AS, and shoot me a PM if you ever want to talk AS'ing!
Cheers,
Frank.
AirSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Welcome, I am a Gig Harbor native. Don't put up with the jokes about West Seattle. Ask someone what happened to the bridge about 30 years ago. West Seattle has some good views and once they get the viaduct settled (literally) your travels will be much easier.

Dan
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I think your furnace is an Atwood, not the Suburban suggested in one of the prior posts.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Wow, thanks for all the kind welcomes.

Harpo,

It sounds like we made a similar move. I love Texas and will always consider it home but it's just not that great of an outdoor state most of the year unless you enjoy the heat. We ended up in Seattle but also considered Portland.

Frank,

Glad to see a fellow West Seattle member here. We have been here about a year and really enjoy the area. We looked all over town and decided West Seattle was the best fit for us. Nice small town feel but still full of life. We couldn't be happier. My wife travels a lot for work and SeaTac is very convenient.

Also be careful about the "talking Airstreaming" offer. I might talk your ear off once I become more knowlegeable on the subject!

Dan,

Gig Harbor is really beautiful. Been there a few times. The Tides Tavern and & 7 Seas Brewery & Tap Room are a couple of favorites. Yep, I like beer! Everyone complains and about the Viaduct construction issues but so far it hasn't been that big of a deal.

A W Warn,

I think you might be right. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing "Atwood" among all the trailer's paperwork, manuals, guides, etc. I'm going to look into this weekend and try and figure out the problem.

Thanks again everyone for all the warm welcomes. It's also nice to see some local members on the forum. Looks like there is a strong Pacific Northwest following here.

Jim
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Welcome! And you're just 1 1/2 hours from the border. Beautiful British Columbia is a cool verdant paradise.

What do they say in Texas? Y'all come on over!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Welcome! And you're just 1 1/2 hours from the border. Beautiful British Columbia is a cool verdant paradise.

What do they say in Texas? Y'all come on over!
Yeah, I get looked at funny everytime I say Y'all up here. And I don't really have a heavy Texas accent despite living there for almost 41 years and growing up on a cattle ranch outside of Houston.

We really love the BC area and Alberta. We actually have some friends coming up in July from Texas that are going to rent a RV so we can do a mini caravan trip up Vancouver Island. We were up there a few years ago and loved it. Can't wait to see what that ferry ticket is going to cost! Probably come back through Vancouver.

Another trip we have in mind is heading east from Seattle out through Idaho to Glacier National Park/Waterton and then heading north through Banff and up to Jasper. We've been to Banff and few times and hiked for a week in Glacier. I still think Glacier and Waterton are probably the most beautiful parks I have seen. Plus, the crowds are nothing like some other more popular parks.

Jim
Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
You'all to you betcha

Jim, get rid of the you'all and substitute you betcha, get some wool socks to wear with your sandals, become a coffee snob, learn what sun breaks are and never, never carry an umbrella. You'll fit right in, you betcha.

Dan
Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Born and bred in the PNW, but traveled and worked all over the U.S., I became a fan of various regional and local accents. Never thought we in the NW had an accent until some old boy we met said, "You're from Washington/Oregon? I asked how he knew. He said, "You all talk through your noses up there."