Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Need advice: sport 16 or 22

Hello fellow AS enthusiasts

We are looking to dive into the AS lifestyle and could use some advice on what AS to purchase. We really like the look of the sport, especially the 16', but worry the 16' will be too small. The sport 22' is also a consideration and we are open to other models and sizes as well. It is just the two of us and a 30 lb dog. The AS will most likely be used for weekend getaways with an ocassional week at a campground w/hookups. Our TV is a Ram 1500 diesel. Any tips, advise, or words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.
Dbarnettjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We started out looking at 16-17' units and ended up with a 22'. 9 years later we can look back without regrets and are happy with our choice.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Selecting a model IMO is based on two factors, personal taste and budget. Between the two Sports there are two things that make a big difference to me 1) space and 2) the 22 has separate gray and black tanks. If you use water at all, you will be emptying the gray tank regularly. That is a hassle I do not like. Solo I get about 4-5 days on my 39 gal gray and I am not being too conservative but also not too wasteful. I cook, wash dishes take showers, etc. In the 22 I would be able to go about 2 days per se- solo. The hitch weights are about the same and the cargo capacities are within 200# of each other. I would get the 22 of those two models.

That said, I would look at budget and look as far up in length as a 23 with your tow vehicle. Look at the 20' too. The differences unseen are important too. Consider that the biggest competitor to a new Airstream is a used one.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Like Ahab, we started looking at the smaller models and we don't even have a dog. We ended up with a 23' and found it to be just right for up to about 2 months, after that it gets a little crowded and we start thinking about going home.

I think the rule is, after 2 years you either sell your trailer because you don't like the lifestyle or you go bigger. We'd like to go to a 25' or 27' but we'd have to get a bigger TV, so 23' it is. It's easy to tow and easy to back into spots, turn around, etc.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

How you might really end up using a trailer.

Nobody, including you knows.

When I bought my truck, the car salesman asked me if I wanted the tow package. I told him that there was no way that I was ever gonna be towing anything…..So I am am wrong every twice in a while, all of the time.

I think of campgrounds as not the best place to camp. Great if you need to charge, dump, get water, or if you want to be somewhere but don't want to pay for a motel.

You live in Road Trip Heaven, with free BLM campsites all over the place. A lot of them off of rough dirt roads . A smaller camper might be easier to get around.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thank you for the words of wisdom.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbarnettjr View Post
Thank you for the words of wisdom.
I would recommend that you see as many models in person as possible. There is no substitute for this IMO. We downsized from a 25' to the new FC20, and my impression is that you will not be happy in the smaller trailer you are considering.

The most important distinctions are:

-- wet vs. dry bath with stall shower;
-- windows -- important to get the Airstream awning-style windows hinged on top which permit ample ventilation without using the A/C -- the dinky little slide-open partial windows will drive you nuts when the dog is wet and breathing heavily on a hot and humid day;
-- galley layout and applicances -- our new FC20 has a great corner galley with two sinks and real propane oven -- the best AS kitchen until you get up into the 25' range IMO.

Checking out these three considerations in person is very important. Lacking an on-site viewing, it is very easy to get analysis paralysis here.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
- windows -- important to get the Airstream awning-style windows hinged on top which permit ample ventilation without using the A/C -- the dinky little slide-open partial windows will drive you nuts when the dog is wet and breathing heavily on a hot and humid day;
I don't have the "awning windows" but have ample ventilation. I like the awning windows but would not make that a purchase point. IMHO, the best ventilation for me is when I set the fantastic vent in the rear to "air in speed 2" and crack the front window slightly. There is a nice continual breeze and for me, this is only in the FL winter 70-80 degrees as any other time, the AC is on. At night the fan provides a sound deadener and in the day I am rarely in the bedroom. There are negatives to the newer AS windows- sticking gaskets create a maintenance issue, screen view through windows, shattering with age on frameless design. They are more expensive to replace AND the pano windows have been the #2 leak spot just after the rear bumper- my observations based on posts on this forum. The shattering thing was stated as being "common" and about $800 to replace a window.

It is true that you need to visit each design and spend some time playing "house" inside. Sit on the commode, do dishes (pretend) , get on the bed, etc. and if they allow you to, bring the dog! Look at the 16, 19, 20 and 23' Flying Clouds and see what you like. Check out the tank sizes and compare. Look at the Sports and do the same. As someone else already posted, no one can tell you but we can certainly point out features and considerations. On the windows, look at the FC and open a window, if you can, ask for help. Then try the sport windows. There is a definite difference in opening for sure. It may make the difference for you. The point that OTRA15 brought up about wet bath is a big point too. I wouldn't want one but; some do!
Old 06-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The 22 is no longer an option. We Looked at a slightly used beautifully maintained 22 sport yesterday and decided it is not the one for us. I knew right way that it was not the right one....just didn't feel right. Thanks for the advice, we are going to look at the 19 and 20 next. Yesterday was the first "used" trailer we viewed and perhaps used is the way to go.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great that you saw the 22' in person!

FYI there is a 20-footer thread although it is long. The early posts start out discussing the merits of that particular model.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...rs-127845.html

We are very happy with ours, as already mentioned, because of the complete corner galley with two sinks, propane oven (not micro/convection), and the dry bath and stall shower. The front bed is smaller than some people want, but the way it is tucked into its own cubby right under the large front window makes it work for us. Great ventilation at night.

Large windows hinged on top . . .

Did I mentioned this?

Good luck!

PS used is a great way to go. We were about to snap one up, but a dealer put a new one from the earlier model year on sale at 20% off with a full warranty. Too good an offer to pass up. You are coming up to the time of year when the 2017 models are arriving, so you might pick up a 2016 for a good price. Call Patrick Botticelli at Colonial Airstream, or check their site, for current pricing IMO. NJ is a long way from you, but their inventory is great and Patrick is very helpful.

Peter
Old 06-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
From the DARK SIDE

Quote:
The 22 is no longer an option. We Looked at a slightly used beautifully maintained 22 sport yesterday and decided it is not the one for us. I knew right way that it was not the right one....just didn't feel right. Thanks for the advice, we are going to look at the 19 and 20 next. Yesterday was the first "used" trailer we viewed and perhaps used is the way to go.
I got an Avion (Vintage 10 metre HUGE!) - almost on a whim. I loaned it to my business partner who had heart surgery and couldn't go back to his walk up apartment right away. Then I stayed in it.

And I'm kinda losing my Airstreamer attitude...

If you want something SMALL and plan to go off road - go to a Casita, a Scamp, an Oliver, or some nice fiberglass egg that won't get filoform and can be fixed by anyone who repairs boats or fiberglass tubs. You can always PAINT it silver. And wow, will you save on the maintenance chores.

Paula
Old 06-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:

Could it be the color scheme ? 22 sport looks nicer in 2016 colors.

16' is cuter

22' with kitchen space and bathroom is more practical for extended trips (tanks are still not BIG though)

or go right to 25+ and skip re-buying
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
A negative of the Sport models vs. FC is they come without section (rock) protectors and a rear bumper with storage. Adding these costs thousands. Without the section protectors the lower front of the trailer will look like craters in the Moon in short order (speaking from personal experience) and you will get tired of crawling under the trailer to store the sewer hose.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Wondering how your search is going?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 07-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hi Peter. Thanks for checking in! The search is going well. Last week we were able to see a 19 FC, great design but once again I knew right away it was not the right trailer. The dealership had a beautiful 25 international.....some day! We are new to AS and would like to have something more manageable to explore New Mexico and the surrounding areas, and learn more about camping. We have no plans of semi-retiring for at least 10 years and a bigger trailer will be a great present to ourselves at that point. A 2017 16' is what we decided to purchase, now we just need to locate one and configure it to suit our needs (bumper, rock guards, extra battery, solar, etc). How are you enjoying the AS lifestyle?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Hi Peter. Thanks for checking in! The search is going well. Last week we were able to see a 19 FC, great design but once again I knew right away it was not the right trailer. The dealership had a beautiful 25 international.....some day! We are new to AS and would like to have something more manageable to explore New Mexico and the surrounding areas, and learn more about camping. We have no plans of semi-retiring for at least 10 years and a bigger trailer will be a great present to ourselves at that point. A 2017 16' is what we decided to purchase, now we just need to locate one and configure it to suit our needs (bumper, rock guards, extra battery, solar, etc). How are you enjoying the AS lifestyle?
Great news! A perfect length to start with, and get on the road . . .

Our summer is off to a good start with three mid-week trips to a local campground to get our new FC20 set up for longer trips. We had a 25' AS in the 90's and are happy with the decision to downsize FYI. The shorter rigs are much easier to deal with in many respects, especially for folks new to the RV lifestyle. As you suggest, moving up later is no prob.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
"bigger is better" with a small, someone is going to sleep on the floor; it will probably be YOU.
with a small, someone is going to be climbing over the top of the other (might not be bad) whether a corner bed or across the end.
Think used in the same $ as you were to spend new on a smaller AS.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Get the biggest one you can afford and tow. You'll appreciate the extra space.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I had an '08 Sport 17, which was a GREAT one person trailer, but if you're 2, get the bigger. That 17 was just too close for 2. . . regards, Craig