Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Msmoto becomes trailer trash

Hi Folks, I have done it! Today finalized the deal for a new 2007 25' International Ocean Breeze. So, I will no doubt be seeing some of you on the road. Now, if I could get some advice about finding good sites to park for the night... books, guides, etc., I would be most appreciative. I take delivery of my new Airstream on September 17, and my first pull will be to Texas, from North Carolina, in October this year. See you soon... Msmoto
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
"Trailer trash"?

Your humor escapes this Airstream owner.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Awww, Tom.

Msmoto I get it entirely. Welcome to the Airstream family! Yes, you are trailer trash but you are the highest form of trailer trash, and there's nothing wrong with that. You will find more advice on sites and places to visit, not to mention towing, repairs, maintenance and everything else, by spending a lot of time perusing the different strings in the forums. Congratulations!

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Hello to a fellow Ocean Breezer... We've got a 2007 27FB Ocean Breeze and just love it! I describe it as Tommy Bahama goes Ikea...

Happy trails!

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
First trip

Tow it around town, find a vacant shopping center parking lot and practice backing up until you have SOME idea of where the heck the back end of the trailer is going. Inevitably you'll have a back-in site at the first campground you go to - even if you've reserved a pull-through in advance. Ask me how I know.

Also find a local place (after THIS weekend- labor day) and camp there on the weekends or even for the whole week. Get used to your systems. Get comfortable by practicing hitching and unhitching. Get used to people who want a TOUR of your stream! Use this website like crazy - great advice on hitching, balancing your load, dealing with panic stops, etc.

On my very first towing experience with my former 22 CCD some nutjob insisted on driving right beside me on I-64 west. He wasn't paying attention to the road and if I slowed down, he slowed down. If I speeded up, ditto. I was less than 70 miles from home when I exited on a rest stop to lose the jerk - and yep, he followed me into the trailer/truck section. I was praying for a state trooper when he came running up to my door and started saying "Oh my GAWD an Airstream - I've always wanted one of these things. Where did you find one in such good condition?" He nearly had "the big O" when he found out they still made them. I unlocked the door and let him take a tour. I think the poor man's family got their weekend trip scuttled in favor of a trip to the dealer.

I laughingly call myself trailer trash too, because I fulltime. But the experience IS different. Airstreams love to go, SOB's love to sit.

I haven't had anyone have quite that level of response since then. And thanks to Gray's Anatomy and Dr. McDreamy - there are a lot more new Airstreams around in my neighborhood.

Paula
Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Well someone has to be trailer trash, So do it in style !!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
HI Msmoto, Welcome to the Forums. I am another NC Airstream owner. You'll find lots of friends here.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Thanks to ya'll

Thanks to all who have responded with good advice and encouragement. FYI "Trailer Trash" aka Msmoto has ridden her motorcycle 13,000 miles since June 1 of this year and decided to try a different way to go on "Going to the Sun Road" and still be terrified! And, I know "The CAT" going from Portland to Yarmouth will take an Airstream... saw one about 6 weeks ago. So, now ya'll know I will eventually be looking for a tow vehicle which will park two bikes in the bed, so I can do both ride and tow. See you on the road...
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 08-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Uh oh. Wait 'til you're ready to get about 1000 different opinions, then go ahead and ask the "what's the best tow vehicle" question! That's when things really get fun!

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy & welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Thanks to all who have responded with good advice and encouragement. FYI "Trailer Trash" aka Msmoto has ridden her motorcycle 13,000 miles since June 1 of this year and decided to try a different way to go on "Going to the Sun Road" and still be terrified! And, I know "The CAT" going from Portland to Yarmouth will take an Airstream... saw one about 6 weeks ago. So, now ya'll know I will eventually be looking for a tow vehicle which will park two bikes in the bed, so I can do both ride and tow. See you on the road...
Hey, welcome to Airforum, Msmoto!

I'm somewhat jealous because my AS plans won't happen until next year, but neat year is getting closer..

Nice combo too, the 'bikes and the TT! Now I'm real jealous! Used to ride, had an '82 Honda CB900F for years that I loved to tour on, but can't anymore. Tell us about your two-wheelers?

And of course, LOTS of pictures, puhleeze!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
From Scooter Trash to Trailer Trash???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Hi Folks, I have done it! Today finalized the deal for a new 2007 25' International Ocean Breeze. So, I will no doubt be seeing some of you on the road. Now, if I could get some advice about finding good sites to park for the night... books, guides, etc., I would be most appreciative. I take delivery of my new Airstream on September 17, and my first pull will be to Texas, from North Carolina, in October this year. See you soon... Msmoto
Given your moniker I cannot help but wonder if you too have moved up in the world as my wife an I have; we are both "scooter trash" and "trailer trash".

We haul our motorcycle/sidecar on the back of our truck which pulls the 30' Classic.

Welcome aboard....

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
OK, so I ride a motorcycle. Actually, since June 1 of this year, 13,000 miles. One trip to Wisconsin/Minnesota/South Dakota, then to Nova Scotia with my youngest son (34), and recently I returned from Portland, Oregon, via Glacier National Park and "Going to the Sun Road". (5886 miles that trip). It was on the 600 mile/day ride back I said to myself, "Are you #&%%$&^ crazy?" And "at that particular time", to quote Alanis, I decide I needed an Airstream and to carry the bikes in the back of the pickup truck. Unfortunately, I have this Porsche Cayenne which will pull the Airstream nicely, but has no room for bikes. So, the next move is, I think, a Toyota Tundra Extra Cab, long bed which should do the job well (this should elicit a few responses). In any case, my first tow will be in October to San Antonio, Texas, and I can hardly wait to stop in Walmarts parking lots on the way! Have a safe journey....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 08-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
msmoto

welcome to the forum. just got back from the fall annual amca bike show/swap/races in davenport iowa. took my '55 HD along for the ride.

as far as your future tow vehicle, three words: long box silverado.

john
Old 08-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Bear in mind that a touring motorcycle, depending on size, can weigh up to 1,000 LBS, IIRC. I think you might want to consider a 3/4 ton truck if you want to carry two of them. I don't remember the weights of the International series, but my guess is that you would be on the cuff for a Tundra with just one bike, maybe without the bike. If you plan on much mountain travel, I would recommend either an F-250 V-10 or diesel or the equivalent in the GM or Dodge line-up. All three are pretty much equal. With the 3/4 ton sized trucks you get bigger brakes, heavier transmissions, heavier suspensions, and other drive train items.

Just my $.02.

And, welcome to the forums and world of 'streaming.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Drive safe Msmoto
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What John HD & Minnie's Mate Said...

BIG honkin Silverado or F-250 - possibly diesel! Remember you don't just have to TOW a trailer, you have to STOP it too. The 25' can be handled with a 1/2 ton, but add a motorcycle or two to the bed of the truck and you'll be way over the safety factor. The Tundra is NOT a 3/4 ton truck. Some have described it here as a 5/8 ton.

I have the 25 FB SE Safari - and look what I'm using to pull it - 3/4 ton long bed quad cab silverado Diesel.

Going UP big hills tests your engines power going back down with brakes that start to smoke will make you wish you had on Depends! In the case of tow vehicles MORE is more! Safe is Better.

Happy Trails, Paula
Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Hi Mxmoto, We are riders here also that have been the Tundra D-Cab route. It was great when we were loading up a little 85 but on the bigger 125's it puts much more stress on the rear suspension.

Just two days ago we were planning for a short trip w/ 2 125's and we thought lets just use the Toyota (cap was on the GMC) so we loaded up the bikes and hooked up the trailer and let me tell you there was no way I was pulling loaded up like that. We took the cap off the deisel, loaded up the bikes and off we went . It hauls the two bikes and stream like they are not even back there. Good luck!
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Going UP big hills tests your engines power going back down with brakes that start to smoke will make you wish you had on Depends! In the case of tow vehicles MORE is more! Safe is Better.

Happy Trails, Paula
Paula, you always crack me up!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
trailer behavior

Welcome Msmoto, since you're new at this trailer thing here's where i learned most of my trailer etiquette. it's helped me fit in real good.

My Hompayge

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote