Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

knoxville , Tennessee
Looking to join Airstream club

hey everybody,
I've been dreaming to buy an Airstream for the past few years and it looks like I have the perfect opportunity to finally pick one up. I'm looking for a pull behind that is 25-35 feet in length. I'd like to keep the purchase price around 10K or lower and I'll have about another 5K to invest in upgrades and repairs over the next year. It seems like up to late 80s Soveriegn fits the bill pretty well. I'll be shopping in the east coast and southeast USA. I am very handy as I was a mechanic by trade and hobby and I have lots of experience with home repair, so I'll be doing the work myself. I hope to find one that is livable while I'm working on it. I've been looking though the forums and I was wondering what input you guys have while inspecting candidate trailers. What are major areas and items I should be checking to reduce the chance of running into serious issues? Thanks!
Bustedknuckl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Good luck... I think you will find lots of opportunity to apply your lifelong skills in this project....

To tell you that you are making the right decision.. well, we can't.. because we don't know the whole story...

But, good luck..!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Buy one in good mechanical condition, that matches the ability of your tow vehicle and your proposed usage. Airstream parts come a little expensive, Spend your time enjoying your trailer rather than fixing it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Welcome to the forum!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have your with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
The forums are a great wealth of information, as you look at the hundreds of sections and thousands of threads. To find nearby people, who can answer your questions in person, see www.wbcci.org. The Airstream Owners Club, who can help with inspections, things to look for, what is easier to fix, what is expensive to fix, etc., and, once on the road, are great friends, great cooks, great companions, all having great times together!

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings bustedknuckl. Welcome to Air Forums. Airstreams are one travel trailer where age isn't a major factor due to the all aluminum body. We have an 86 Limited at 34 feet long and it works very well for us. Appliances have worn out and have been replaced through the years, but the running gear, frame, subfloor, systems, cabinetry and the like are original and have held up well. And I have a 66 Trade Wind 24 footer that I have "fixed up" as a hobby. It is in good shape now.

I think the main thing is to buy a good body, or shell. Body panels and aluminum sheeting is probably the hardest to repair. There are many Airstream enthusiasts on these forums who have removed the shell and replaced the subfloor and frame on their trailers. They keep these old babies on the road and out of the aluminum recycle bin.

Then inspect the plywood or particle board subfloor. Airstreams are prone to rain water leaks between the outer skin and the inner skin, and this can rot out the floor. A soft, crumbly subfloor along the perimeter of the interior weakens the semi monocoque construction (where body, subfloor, and frame all depend on each other for strength.) A moisture meter can be of assistance here.

Appliances like water heaters, furnaces, air conditioners, refrigerators, toilets and the like are fairly easy to replace (although rather expensive.) Plumbing is kinda easy, and wiring gets harder.

There are good trailers for sale here in the classifieds. Take a look if you haven't already.

Airstream trailers are great fun, much different than a "box" trailer. They tow great, last a long time but are smaller inside and on the expensive side.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote