Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #15

Omaha , Nebraska
Looking for an Airstream

Badkat,

I often read the Forum and noticed you are looking for an Airsteam. I am not sure of protocol on responding but I have a 2007, 25 ft. FB that I wish to sell. I have not advertised it anywhere but have been thinking about selling for some time. If you are interested, call me. 402-341-9425.

jae

Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelou2 View Post
I often read the Forum and noticed you are looking for an Airsteam. I am not sure of protocol on responding
Protocol is that all selling happens on the Classifieds section.

What people do in email is their own business though...

Old 09-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
2002 25' Classic
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Tow Vehicle

Every body has their favorite, I pull my 28 with a Dodge 2500 it has a cummins engine and will tow anything out there and it gets pretty good gas milage.It is a Mega Cab and the rear seats fold down flat and has an enormous amount of storage. i also have a camper shell on the bed to keep all of my stuff in.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
2002 25' Classic
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Airstream 28

There is a 2001 Airstream 28 in the classified section for sale in Michigan. You might want to take a look
Old 10-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have found my 28' AS. Will be getting it in the spring. Saw an AS today on an overpass and was in awe. Know it is the right decision. Just knew when we toured it this was perfect. Will be replacing the carpet with the cork floating floor, how hard to install solar shades instead of curtains? Curved windows? thanks BadKat
Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
I have found my 28' AS. Will be getting it in the spring. Saw an AS today on an overpass and was in awe. Know it is the right decision. Just knew when we toured it this was perfect. Will be replacing the carpet with the cork floating floor, how hard to install solar shades instead of curtains? Curved windows? thanks BadKat
Flooring is easy, but time consuming as depending on what you do you might be removing a lot of the interior fixtures. Window blinds can be interesting as the curves and slopes of the interior require extra attention.

I'm not sure what you mean about 'curved windows', but if it doesn't come with the panoramic windows, installing them would be some kind of nightmare. The shell of the Airstream it integral to the structure, and I'd be surprised if the Airstream factory would even want to try it... it would just be too much work for what you would end up with.

You can do a certain amount of screwing around in an older Airstream with floor-plans if you gut them... but pick your trailer carefully as it really isn't something you can change like a home-reno.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
The floors are doable. The trailer is not here for me to look but shades or curtains will be freshened. If shades do not work..ok new curtains. It wil be fun. Mostly cosmetic at this point but none less important.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
plain city , Ohio
badkat,
We are new to the airstream and we got a beautiful 1970 31' sovereign. We lucked out and it is in great shape and up dated from the previous owners who went to every state including Alaska. All the updated repairs are logged since 1970. They found us at a auction where we were bidding on a 28 footer that needed major repairs and when we walked away they approached us to sell their (our) Airstream. They were 75 years old and had done it all. You will find yours keep looking! Don't settle for one that needs repair.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk5274 View Post
badkat,
We are new to the airstream and we got a beautiful 1970 31' sovereign. We lucked out and it is in great shape and up dated from the previous owners who went to every state including Alaska. All the updated repairs are logged since 1970. They found us at a auction where we were bidding on a 28 footer that needed major repairs and when we walked away they approached us to sell their (our) Airstream. They were 75 years old and had done it all. You will find yours keep looking! Don't settle for one that needs repair.
We have found a 28' AS and seems to only need cosmetic to make our own. Hope to meet on the road sometime.

Kat
Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
What should I be looking for in a tow vehicle for pulling a 28' successfully?We want to go everywhere. Thanks BadKat
On this you will get a different oppinion from everyone who answers.

Almost any vehicle can pull the trailer, but you want to do it safely. The question to ask yourself is how much weight will you put on/in your tow vehicle. Make sure the TV you choose will support the loads you put on it.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plaquemine , Louisiana
Welcome badkat,
I recommend any 3/4 ton truck, with the turbo diesel. Especially if you intend on traveling in mountainous areas. Turbo charged engines, whether gas or diesel do a good job of compensating for the loss of power in high elevations. My personal preference is, I prefer my tow vehicle out weigh my trailer. My 28 Classic weighs in at 6700 lbs net, and my truck barely wins at 6800 lbs. If I were to go with a lighter trailer, I would take a serious look at the F-150 with ecoboost (twin turbos!)
Old 10-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is absolutely no advantage to a tow vehicle outweighing the trailer.

doug k
Old 10-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Badkat, it would be good to have a used trailer inspected for condition by a competent Airstream serviceman, before purchase. You most probably will have to give some attention to mechanicals such as brakes and tires, properly working systems such as plumbing, electrical and waste, and any leakage and corrosion treatment needed. Then it is fit to travel and decorate to suit.

doug k
Old 10-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plaquemine , Louisiana
Let me rephrase. If you choose to tow without level and sway control, tow vehicle weight/mass matters.