Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

Braintree , Massachusetts
Hi everyone

I'm the one that asks the stupid questions...is it hard to learn how to tow the AS? Also, I am wondering if a Jeep Grande Cherokee 2012 with the 5.7l v8 can tow a 25?

Mitch
Mitch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A Grand Cherokee with the Hemi 5.7 is rated to tow up to 7200#. I use my 2012 on a 20' Argosy and it tows very well. However, the larger the trailer, the more you might know it is there, but I doubt you will have any issues with a 25'. If you have the air suspension on your Jeep, it is a little tricky to set up a WD hitch, but once done will work just like any other vehicle.

I would have no hesitation at all towing a 25' AS with my current Jeep. It is a big, heavy vehicle at 5200# and the wheelbase is long enough to be stable. The rear overhang is also quite small, again contributing to tow comfort.

You learn how to tow by doing it mainly. I am sure that someone teaches towing skills, but about 95% of people who tow, just do it I am pretty sure.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Mitch,

We ass-u-me you have the Jeep and are shopping the AS. The fact that your asking is a good sign!!

Most of us have been there.
The bug has bitten and if the malady follows the typical course the Stream will last longer than the tow vehicle. Our TV in no way influenced our purchase of the first Stream, (this was long before joining the Forum), that was in 1987, we survived the experience.

Doing your research here will make YOUR adventure much easier.

IMHO...your Jeep is as capable as most and more than some. With a good hitch set-up, the proper WD/loading, quality brake controller and adequately rated TV tires you'll be good to go.

Good Luck, enjoy the SEARCH.

Bob

POI...don't be surprised if the Mod's move your thread, I had a few moved as a noob too. You did nothing rong, it'll just be easier to find is all.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Simple rules

I agree, just go do it. Someone here suggested practice with a rental trailer before you hitch up the Airstream, and that's a good idea if you have minimal trailer towing experience.

Meanwhile, the rules are simple:

Make turns a little wider--the trailer wheels follow a path inside where the TV goes

Allow extra room to stop because of the additional weight.

Don't go into anywhere you can't get out of. Plan the way out before turning in.

NEVER forget it's back there! Airstreams are the sweetest towing trailers on the road, in my limited experience.

Put your ego into a padded box and leave it on the dresser at home, then find an open area and practice backing the trailer until you can do it.

I thought I was good at backing trailers until we got the 'Stream. Suddenly had to realize that most of my cues were based on looking over the trailer or looking past it on the sides. Suddenly I could do neither, and the learning curve started all over again. I backed her into a campsite all by myself last week, so maybe I'm finally mastering the skill.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
POI...don't be surprised if the Mod's move your thread, I had a few moved as a noob too. You did nothing rong, it'll just be easier to find is all.
Moved from announcements to introductions. Just housekeeping. Glad to have you with us Mitch. .

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You might try taking your trailer (or a rental of similar size) to the closest shopping mall early in the morning before any of the stores are open, and just driving around the mall's parking lot to your heart's content. Plenty of painted stripes to work on backing into a parking space, lots of little green islands with curbs so you can practice turns to figure out just how wide you have to turn to avoid smacking the curb (start by swinging really wide and get closer with each repetition until you reach your trailer's limit), and not many people around to laugh at you when you mess up. And if mall security makes an issue of it, explain to him what you're doing and ask him to spot for you and give you directions while backing for one or two attempts. It will make a welcome break in his otherwise dull routine.

And if driving to the mall in the first place makes you nervous, get someone else to drive you there, then you take over for the practice. You need someone else with you to give you directions for backing your trailer anyway. Horefully by the time you drive back you'll be comfortable enough to handle it on your own for getting back home.