Old 06-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Gensets

I'm with you on that one rmpray... summer camping anywhere in Texas requires AC not only to cool but in central & east Texas, to help with the humidity. So far this summer, it's been in the mid to late 90's and with 80% humidity, heat index is in the 100's (doesn't matter how much shade you have with that humidity!). August & September are on their way, too... ohboy... need a lake close by...

Good discussion on gensets - we've been entertaining the notion so as to have more camping options. Sometimes, lined up side by side in a park leaves ALOT to be desired, esp. when playin' music with buds around a fire. The 2 Honda 2000's sounds like a good idea - (or perhaps 2 Yamaha 2400is), leaves you with options when you need some power for battery charging but not the AC like in fall or winter camping. The 2000 would be sufficient for firing up the furnace, right? Coffee maker & microwave...(emphasis on coffee)?

Speaking of playin' music around a fire... last summer at Pedernales State Park, we were doing some jamin' around the fire and drinking some, uh... adult beverages and soon enough, there were a host of people all around having fun. We'd earlier grilled up some beef and had some fixin's for fajitas. Emptied a jar of jalapenos during dinner, which was left sitting sitting on the park bench table. At the end of the evening, we were cleaning up and found the jar stuffed with money in it - guess folks thought it was a tip jar (gotta remember that one!). Anyway, the jar still had the jalapeno juice in it... (small price to pay for drying out those bills, I guess). Can't imagine though, what those bills must of smelled like sitting in someone's wallet after they got in circulation...

Old 06-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The main advantage to the Honda 2000I is that you can run two with an optional 6 gal tank sitting on the ground next to it or them. This would allow you to make it through the night if you are running the air to sleep with it. I bought mine from Wise Gen. sales. I received it 3 days after I placed the order and I think it was 865. with shipping and no tax! I think the 6 gal tank and the connectors where about 125. I also like the flexibility of being able to just take one small one like for cool whether where you just need it for coffee, blender microwave etc.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
I'm just about sold on the Yamaha EF3000iSEB. It's got the boost feature, wheels are included, it's quiet, reliable, and hey -- it's also blue.

If anyone sees a screamin' deal on the Yamaha, please let me know. I'm in the market to buy IMMEDIATELY (like before our summer migration to Yellowstone).
Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
2011 19' International
Pleasant Hill , California
Hello,
I just finished the install of the remote start on my Yamaha. I was shocked at the price but after I received the kit I began to understand why. The kit is very well done and the instructions are thorough. I was able to start my Generator in my garage from the top of my driveway! The kit includes a single key fob, the remote receiver, an auto choke mechanism, and a very cleanly built wiring harness.

There is no need to turn the key on or mess with the choke. It does have an on/off switch (which you mount on the switch panel of the generator) for disabling the receiver when not in use or for storage. This prevents the batt from draining.

The entire project took one hour. Not including the 30 minutes of trying to find someone to impress afterwards.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Boatboy,
Where did you get your remote system?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Where to get Remote system

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatBoy
$399 plus $25 shipping from: Wireless remote start System kit for electric start portable generators from Honda, Yamaha Robin Subaru and more.
My friend has it installed on the same gen and he loves it. The price seems a bit high but it comes included with the unadvertised bonus factor...
Boat boy gave us the detail in an earlier post.

John
Old 06-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Boat boy gave us the detail in an earlier post.

John
Thanks John, I guess I missed it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
I have been thinking about this dilemma also. One 3000 generator vs 2 2000 generators. What sold me was the weight aspect. I could probably lift the 3000 size (150lb) into the truck bed but I would not want to do it very often. My wife would be willing to help out but only for a few times.

I decided to go with 2 Honda EU2000i's and a 30amp kit. I got them last week. They are a much more manageable weight. I can carry both of them at one time since they are balancing out each arm. I hooked up the 30amp kit yesterday and connected it to the Airstream. It showed that I was hooked to shore power, like it should. Then I turned on the Air Conditioner.

It took about 2 minutes for the A/C to try the compressor. The 30amp kit has a meter on the front and I was watching it diligently. It was running around 200 (out of a max reading of 4000). The generators were on eco-trottle. Then the compressor kicked in. A huge spike to the top of the meter and a immediate increase in generator sound. After the compressor started the meter settled down to around 1800 and the A/C was working.

The 'hit' on the generators could probably be mitigated by turning of eco-throttle. I also know that there was some type of starting capacitor boost you could add to some A/C's.

I also went with 2 gens because we may not need a full 30amp all the time. I will probably run them out of the back of my truck. Overall, I am very satisfied with them. We will test them on a 'real' trip in about 3 weekends.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
We do appreciate all the input.

Thanks a lot
Bob and Gail