Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #21
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
TAC is The Airstreamer's Club, a group of like-minded people who like to have fun in their Airstreams (rallies, caravans, etc). If you'd like to find out more about it, please visit our website: The Airstreamer's Club. PTC, I assume, is the city (Peachtree City).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Welcome to the forums Rutlege. I'm a huge UK TopGear fan and hoping the US version takes off. Better get started on the refurb, the Nascar Season starts soon.

Damon

P.S. Still confused why it's on History Channel and not Speed, silly networks.
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #23

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Greetings Rutroe,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Amby. Feel free to bounce ideas and questions that arise during your rebuild/resto project.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
before dumpster

Welcome! Before you dump the gut. please post some pics, belive it or not because of age/availability someone might need some interior bits you might throw away. I for one have several small needs from a 73 interior. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's nice to see an essentially original-appearing early '70's A/S with those wheel covers, window arrangement, etc. Hard to improve, IMO.

Ton's of great reading here (as you may already know). A survey of possible/potential problems is a good idea so as to forecast time/cost. Every problem appears to already have several alternative fixes.

My preference is to make suspension, brakes, exterior lights, safety chains, HD TV wiring and rest of towing-related items new (and state-of-the-art) first. Mundane compared to a polish job, but still the best place to spend investigatory time & effort. Each has either a sub-forum or any number of threads/posts. The trailer can then be used with great confidence as interior renovation proceeds.

I'd begin with insurance. Agreed value or stated, etc. Appraisal?

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
PTC = Peachtree City, GA
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
Welcome the the Airstream world! Much kudos on the show...great entertainment!!
MO Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
I looked up Top Gear on the History Channel site. My son said he was having a US Top Gear discussion with his friend(2008 STi) a few weeks ago and they unanimously chose you as their favorite. They said you are the funniest.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Peachtree City , Georgia
Hi everybody !

Sorry I wasn't here to respond...we had some snow and then I took off for NASCAR testing in Daytona.

Hmm...where to begin. SO, We started to remove the crap from the inside...and by crap...I mean nasty nasty damp crap.

We found all sorts of funny stuff. It seems they were actively using it right before they parked it and walked away. I also found the belly pan after I pulled the carpet up and put my hand through the floor.

I can't lie...I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm currently in the debate of do I try to put 15 grand into this one trying to get it where I want it, or should I sell it, buy one for 15grand, and then try to make it nicer.

I called a guy about doing the axels, so I may let him do them, but one of my best friends is a finish carpenter and one of his assistants rebuilt an airstream with a friend before, so they're coming to check it out tomorrow and try to get an idea of the scope and some prices for it.

I'll try to post some pictures once I load them to my computer.

I was going to tow it with my 2008 Tundra Crew Max, but I sold it to free up some cash for the project and now am debating about a new Suburban 1500 or 2500, or Yukon XL, or a new F-250.

Whatever my tow rig is, I'd drive that to the airport and around town too...

Keep in mind, I'm probably going to have to find people to work on it and pay them since I'm just not home enough to do the project much myself....which may factor in to my previous question.

Thanks also to everyone who has watched Top Gear. I've really loved being a part of it and I hope we get to do it for years to come.

I'm open to any advice people have, especially those who are in GA and know people who can work on/restore.whatever
Rutroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Rutroe,
I spent about 8K( plus the cost of the trailer) to completely rebuild our trailer, took about 18 months. It's now done and all ours. You can do it!
Thanks for finally settling the Ford Chevy Dodge truck question.
We enjoy the show.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #31
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Time to watch last nights episode that I dvr'd

Good luck with the project.. remember it only takes time and money

Great to see you here.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Rutroe,

Also a fan.

As to your consideration of keep and work on it or upgrade, you can get a nice trailer, especially the larger ones, for $15,000.

It sounds counter intuitive that you can buy more for less used, but many people want one of the cute teeny tiny trailers more than the larger ones-driving the price of cute teeny tiny up.

If you want to do family stuff or spend much time in one, bigger is better.

Check out the classifieds here and you can get an idea of what is available and what prices are like.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Rutledge,

Just like auto restoration, often it costs more to restore than it will bring on resale. However, there is great satisfation in doing it exactly like you want, and knowing it was done right.

There are restored Airstreams out there selling for bargain prices. Beware of hidden problems lurking. I have seen many nice appearing restorations that are very cute (and show well) but are basically cobbled up messes.

I personally think you will be happier picking a vintage Airstream with a floorplan you like, and restoring it yourself.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
Rutledge,

Just like auto restoration, often it costs more to restore than it will bring on resale. However, there is great satisfation in doing it exactly like you want, and knowing it was done right.

There are restored Airstreams out there selling for bargain prices. Beware of hidden problems lurking. I have seen many nice appearing restorations that are very cute (and show well) but are basically cobbled up messes.

I personally think you will be happier picking a vintage Airstream with a floorplan you like, and restoring it yourself.
Wise advice! Paula
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Alpharetta , Georgia
G'day Rutledge,

This the second forum I have seen you post on today. I am a wagon guy too!

I have a 1982 Classic motorhome and live in Alpharetta. My efforts have been mainly around the mechanicals of the Chevy P30 chassis but have replaced A/C's, water heater and the furnace. Oh, and Bilsteins, upgraded anti-roll bar and stiffer springs.

PM me if you need some local support.

Paul
Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
I cannot locate his name in my address book, but there is a guy in Fayetteville, GA who does a lot of Airstream work. I spoke with him a couple of years ago. Maybe someone else on the forum can remember who he is. If you need anything specific, pm me and I can try to help with a local source.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
One option you touched on is replacing the Airstream you have with one in better shape in order to start using it right away. The classified section of this forum is a good source to start with if you decide to go in that direction.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #38
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
A factor in the decision to sell/keep this one would depend on how soon you wish to use it....

However the chance to customize it to your liking...is appealing.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Welcome Rutroe

I have bought and fixed 2 Airstreams and a Argosy. now have 29' Excella. Great fun renovating even more fun using. Don't wait till its completly done to use it. Even a gutted one is better than sleeping on the ground. People you meet make the experience. Best of luck with your project. If you need advice this is THE PLACE. There is never a shortage of opinions.
I have lots of bits and pieces from my projects.
Love the show by the way.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
A factor in the decision to sell/keep this one would depend on how soon you wish to use it....

However the chance to customize it to your liking...is appealing.
Yeah- that's the big debate going on at our house. I'd love to have my girls all with me as soon as possible...it seems like a quality resto takes months (assuming you're doing it full time) so I have no idea how that's going to work.

I've restored a lot of old cars so I certainly don't want to throw in the towel yet, but I want to be smart about it.

It seems like with where the economy is, this might be the "deal of a lifetime" sort of time to buy...but who knows.
Rutroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 ambassador