Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Hello from AZ

Hi all,

My husband (aka MaxThrust, if he ever posts) and I have been interested in Airstreams for several years. We have read many posts on this sight in the past. We may actually be close to making this particular dream a reality. We are seriously considering ordering a new FC 26' with the u-dinette and twin beds.

We have two kids, 14 and 10. Our thought is that while they are still vacationing with us they would use the twin beds and we would use the larger bed/dinette. Once that is no longer the case, "Max" and I would be able to use the beds. This floor plan seems like it could be a good fit for now and then. I don't see us ever going full time, but never say never. We are tossing around the idea of a 4-6 week trip next summer, heading to the East coast and mid-West. And many shorter trips over the years to come, including the entire West coast as well as Mexico.

We like to take our time, research and plan. This seems like a great place to get some help with the research and planning.

Nice to meet you all.
Bstymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!

Find a dealer that has a reasonable inventory. Spend a day sitting in this one and that one. Do it without a sales guy hovering all the time. Ideally bring the kids and some electronic "toys" along. See how each model works doing this and that. It's not just sleeping. If it's pouring down rain and you are "trapped" for the day, can everybody find a place to poke on their phone / tablet / computer? Does the "conversion" process make sense on a twice a day basis? Is there a reasonable amount of storage (inside and out) for 4 people for a couple weeks? Lots of details only make sense if you can "try it on".

Have fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Bestymes

Welcome, from Mesa. Lots of other Airstreamers in the valley.

Look at the WBCCI schedule and you will see rally's for the AZ Unit and the 4CU unit. They both have friendly gatherings where you can visit with fellow streamers.

Although we have not used them the Desert Autoplex Airstream Dealer in Mesa gets good reviews from members here.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Welcome from down the road. I have been drooling over a 2016 International Serenity 25' that has been on PHX Craigslist for about a week. I noticed today they dropped the price from 80K to 75K
Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Thank you for the warm welcome and good advice!

Bob, you had several good points. I definitely have some concerns about having to convert the table to a bed and back again all the time. I'm not sure there is a better option, though. Not unless we went to a 30' bunkhouse. We considered that plan for a while. But never really loved it. Still open to other ideas...

Hittenstiehl, it's great to hear from a neighbor! We have been to Desert Autoplex a few times. Our last visit there was just last week. We would love to order from them if they can give us the deal we need, if for no other reason than the convenience. They will actually be moving to Scottsdale soon. There they will operate as Airstream of Scottsdale. So far we have not explored any groups or gatherings, so the suggestion on that is helpful.

Brian, we just traveled down your way Sunday to look at a 26' with the u-dinette. It had the queen bed, not twin, but at least we got to see the rest of the layout in person. Now I'm curious to check the listing you mentioned... haha. I will probably look it up. But I wouldn't be able to snatch it out from under you if I wanted to. We are at least a few weeks from being able to actually make a deal.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow, interesting news, Airstream of Scottsdale. Thanks for passing that information along.

Sure will be considerably more expensive real estate than the piece of property on Main Street in Mesa.

Maybe you can get a special Moving Day sale price from them.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstymes View Post

Brian, we just traveled down your way Sunday to look at a 26' with the u-dinette. It had the queen bed, not twin, but at least we got to see the rest of the layout in person. Now I'm curious to check the listing you mentioned... haha. I will probably look it up. But I wouldn't be able to snatch it out from under you if I wanted to. We are at least a few weeks from being able to actually make a deal.
Oh feel free to look it up, we are not ready for at least a year. We have no where to store it right now and not a lot of free time to travel yet, have to wait till I retire and sell the work vans to free up space in the garage.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
Quote:
Thank you for the warm welcome and good advice!

Bob, you had several good points. I definitely have some concerns about having to convert the table to a bed and back again all the time. I'm not sure there is a better option, though. Not unless we went to a 30' bunkhouse. We considered that plan for a while. But never really loved it. Still open to other ideas...

Hittenstiehl, it's great to hear from a neighbor! We have been to Desert Autoplex a few times. Our last visit there was just last week. We would love to order from them if they can give us the deal we need, if for no other reason than the convenience. They will actually be moving to Scottsdale soon. There they will operate as Airstream of Scottsdale. So far we have not explored any groups or gatherings, so the suggestion on that is helpful.

We visited DAP about 3 years before our purchase from them last month. Suffice to say we checked a lot of models before deciding on the 28. Feel free to give us a shout if you have any questions. Wade
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5617.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	294749  
kb7our is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Maybe you can get a special Moving Day sale price from them.
That would be fantastic! We will definitely inquire. "Max" and I are pretty good at negotiating.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Oh feel free to look it up, we are not ready for at least a year. We have no where to store it right now and not a lot of free time to travel yet, have to wait till I retire and sell the work vans to free up space in the garage.
I took a peek at the listing last night. It is really nice! But since we won't be ready for the financial commitment for at least a month, I doubt that one will be an option for us. Not sure the layout will work as well for us with the kids along, either.

Sadly, we will have to store ours at a nearby facility. We don't really have room at home. And the HOA has strict rules about such things. They don't even like our basketball hoop.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7our View Post
We visited DAP about 3 years before our purchase from them last month. Suffice to say we checked a lot of models before deciding on the 28. Feel free to give us a shout if you have any questions. Wade
Congrats on your purchase! Looks like you have a project going on? We have talked about getting an older model and renovating it. But we are kidding ourselves. I love to see what is possible, though.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
Quote:
Congrats on your purchase! Looks like you have a project going on? We have talked about getting an older model and renovating it. But we are kidding ourselves. I love to see what is possible, though.
That's a factory pic of our '18 in production. Wade
kb7our is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7our View Post
That's a factory pic of our '18 in production. Wade
Ah. Yes. That makes more sense. I actually did notice that the cabinets looked like the new ones.