Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Thousand Oaks , California
Another Newbee!!

Greetings to ya'll. My bride and I have long admired and coveted Airstream travel trailers. So, this afternoon my honey and I purchased our 2008 19' International from Southwest Coaches. We're really excited to get going, but we're so full of questions. I've visited this web site a few times and found it to be very informative. If you have the time and experience we'd love to hear of your wisdom and suggestions. Needless to say, our heads were swimming after our introductory walk through and trainning. ?#1 Does anyone have a predeparture and/or storage check list............Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm a tow-virgin! I'd love some assistance here on what to do & not to do before each time I put her in Drive! You know, like a preflight check list. ?#2 We no sooner got home (2hrs. drive in L.A. traffic!!!) that when we were showing it off to our neighbors we discovered the Samsung HDTV won't turn on?!*X? During our walk through we mentioned that the original TV was not HD thus in 3 months it would be inoperable............So they replaced it from another trailer..........BUT it doesn't work/turn on! Any thoughts?
Finally, we've been so impressed with EVERYONE to whom we spoke who own an Airstream. All were enthusiacally helpful and pleased with their Airstream! All were eager to share their experience and suggestions............What a community we've joined!
J & B
jflemion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
I don't have any wisdom to offer, but welcome to the forums and enjoy your new baby! 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the new trailer.

Do you need to be connected to shore power for the TV's to operate?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflemion View Post
Greetings to ya'll. My bride and I have long admired and coveted Airstream travel trailers. So, this afternoon my honey and I purchased our 2008 19' International from Southwest Coaches. We're really excited to get going, but we're so full of questions. I've visited this web site a few times and found it to be very informative. If you have the time and experience we'd love to hear of your wisdom and suggestions. Needless to say, our heads were swimming after our introductory walk through and trainning. ?#1 Does anyone have a predeparture and/or storage check list............Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm a tow-virgin! I'd love some assistance here on what to do & not to do before each time I put her in Drive! You know, like a preflight check list. ?#2 We no sooner got home (2hrs. drive in L.A. traffic!!!) that when we were showing it off to our neighbors we discovered the Samsung HDTV won't turn on?!*X? During our walk through we mentioned that the original TV was not HD thus in 3 months it would be inoperable............So they replaced it from another trailer..........BUT it doesn't work/turn on! Any thoughts?
Finally, we've been so impressed with EVERYONE to whom we spoke who own an Airstream. All were enthusiacally helpful and pleased with their Airstream! All were eager to share their experience and suggestions............What a community we've joined!
J & B
Welcome Aboard!!

Go out to wherever the Stream is parked, take your PJ's, grab the owners manual, stay until youv'e read it thru several times. Check everything out as you read. (the pre and post-flight check list is also there) Anything that isn't quite clear, come back to the Forums and ask away. As far as that new television goes, make that call to the dealer ASAP.

The folks here are the BEST.
Congrats on your purchase.

Stream Safe.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Welcome to the world of streamin'. As to advice, go through your unit and make sure everything works, all appliances, windows etc etc.. When hitting the road, make sure you're hitched properly, check all the lights, make sure the wheel chocks have been put away, and have fun.

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
J&B,
Camp out in the AS for a weekend in the yard or the driveway. That way as things come up you can take care of them or write down things that you will need to get. Plus driveway camping is just as fun as commercial campgrounds.

PS welcome to the wonderful world of Airstreaming!!!
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I agree with all the previous responses. The only way to experience all the Airstream has to offer is to use it. Just about anywhere, there is someone to ask or assist if you have any issues. Welcome to the Forum.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Welcome to the Airstream world

Congratulations and welcome to Airstreaming. Get yourselves to a rally....there is a Tri Counties WBCCI rally mid November in Buellton. There will be lots of fun folks there that will be very helpful. There are also forum rallys from time to time in Southern CA as well (there was a California Streamers Forum Rally this past weekend in Kernville). Also if you think you need help towing and want a school, we highly recommend Dick Reed's RV School. We store our trailer in Thousand Oaks so again, Welcome!!! Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Call your dealer and ask them about the TV. It's probably something easy to fix and something they forgot to do. Working with these new TV's can be a trial and error thing. Sometimes you just have the wrong remote or the circuit breakers are off for the install. Congratulations on your new adventure. Could be they didn't change out remotes and you've got the one for the old TV.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I am sure it was mention in the walk thru but, just in case it was overlooked..
1..Make sure you have full tank of water in the water heater before you try to turn it on or play with the controls..
2.The propane tanks were filled prior to picking it up?
3.Check your batteries as more often than not, they might need to be replaced with newer ones.(It happens.)
4.Always check your tire pressure before leaving on a trip.
5.Make sure your shore power line is disconnected before leaving a site.
6.Your step should be put away..
7.Your TV antenna should be stowed.
8.Make all "Windows are LOCKED"
9. Lock your door to the unit before driving away..
There's all those product warranty forms to fill out and, mail ASAP..
Remember, things like the water heater, stove, frig, A/C, TV..etc all have a separate warranty from A/S..
Camp out in your driveway..or, at the dealership, if they will let you for a day or two..(This way, if you find something broken or not working, they are right there to help fix it .)
BTW, did they give you an A/S owner's bag.?
Buy yourself another sewer (15 ft min..) hose to extend the one comes with your unit..You will need it..~
WELCOME TO THE Airstream World...
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
How sweet !! your first AS is a brand new 2008. These forums will be a big help to you. Not much should go wrong with it, you will just have to learn all you can about how everything works. Have fun and enjoy.
Welcome Chris
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Oh, the places you'll go and the things that you'll see! I can't help but smile everytime I hear the excitement conveyed by someone who just got their Airstream. You're going to have sooo much fun.

When we first got ours (just over a year ago -- it was our first travel trailer of any kind) we camped for a week at a local lake campground. We went over the AS from top to bottom and studied the manual extensively. We did not have full hookups so about midweek we got to experience the "dump site".

We later learned when we encountered our first campsite that did have sewer hookup was that you should not leave your drain open all the time. I guess that was in the book somewhere but I didn't get it. They probably told you that at the dealer but we purchased from a private party. Anyway . . . no major problems!

These forums are wonderful and we've learned lots of stuff here -- everyone is so generous with their knowledge.

Congratulations and enjoy!
Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Newbes

Wow, Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. Yesterday was my first experience backing up our 19' International baby...........Oh my, thank goodness for an experienced neighbor! We hope to attend the Nov. 15th Buelton, Ca. rally. Again thanks everyone...........The AS family has such a wonderful spirit!
J&B
2008 19' International
Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hi J&B and welcome to the Airforums and the sub-family of Bambi owners...they are wonderful little trailers and you are going to have an absolute blast...we have! The advice given above is all good...we'd just add that if you have any questions at all, no matter how "silly" you may think they are, please don't hesitate to ask...there are no silly questions and we've all had to learn this stuff... The depth of experience and knowledge on the forums is astounding and the willingness to share that knowledge is equally prevalent. You are in good company. Before long you'll be helping out the next batch of new owners asking the same set of questions...so just dig in, read all you can and ask about anything that you are not sure about and you'll be fine. And most of all, ENJOY!

We hope to see you down the road soon!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Congratulations!

I'm a relative newbie too - bought my A/S in September.

Here's a couple of things I've found I needed - I bought two 30' fresh water hoses - (Wal Mart sells a flat one that comes on a wind up frame which is easy to store and doesn't kink). It's a bummer to be a few feet short to reach the tap in a campground. Also get a heavy duty exterior extension cord and adapters in case you are too far from the electric hookup for your cord to reach it.

I also bought an inexpensive hose to use for putting water into the sewer flusher (if you have one) and washing up the sewer hose etc. after dumping. It's used exclusively for those jobs.

I got the dealer to supply me with a set of extra fuses for everything on delivery - if you need 'em you got 'em - it's cheap insurance against lots of frustration.

I second reading the owner's manual - it's got almost everything you need to know. You can download a copy from the airstream web site and print it out and cut it up and make notes - or take the section you want with you for on the spot reference when you are working on something, and you won't get your original all marked up or dirty.

And finally when you are ready to depart - don't hurry for any reason - and don't let anyone else hurry you either. Walk around the rig a couple of times inside and out and check that everything is secured, stowed and that the hitch and power and break away switch are all as they should be. Take your time and check it all out fully and then go have fun!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
You have received some good advice. Try and develop a good preflight checklist.....and use it. Some of us become complacent after awhile and try to rely on a mental checklist......and that's the time one tends to drive off with the TV antenna up!

I didn't see where anyone had answered your Samsung TV question. If you were trying to turn it on without being hooked up to shore power....it won't work on house batteries alone.

Good luck with the new coach and welcome to the forum. Spend lots of time getting familiar with it. Ours is parked next to our garage and always hooked up to power......it is a rare day that I don't find an excuse to go inside for something. My wife has caught me twice, napping in the new recliner that I just installed.....I told here that it had to be broken in!

Chief
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
I also bought an inexpensive hose to use for putting water into the sewer flusher (if you have one) and washing up the sewer hose etc. after dumping. It's used exclusively for those jobs
I suggest that you add several things to your compartment near this work area.
1. A box of latex gloves. (available for wearing a pair while handling the sewer hose.)
2.A plastic bottle with (hand sprayer) bleach/water for sanitize and cleaning up those areas assocatied with the sewer hoses..
3.The bleach/water contents of the bottle can also be used to spray clean the city water connection pipes each time you move to a new campground and/or site.
Also, just a quick add on your thoughts about doing a walk around before leaving..Always make sure that your windows are properly secured and, locked~ Nothing ruins a vacation trip quicker then having an Greyhound bus suck out your window as it passes you~
Good Luck..
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome to the Forus.

You are invited to join in on any California Streamers Rally. Over Thanksgiving weekend we will be in Quartzsite. Come on out or Caravan out with one of us.

The manuel won't answer all your questions so post any questions you have or feel free to PM me as I had an 07 19 footer.

The best way to learn your trailer is to use it. So camp in the driveway or head out to a local campground and make the usual mistakes. A sense of humor helps.

Backing up is an easily learned skill if you take your time and not get flustered.

A great hint for backing up is to put your hands at the bottom of the wheel and push in the direction you want the back bumper of the trailer to go. Want the back bumper on the trailer to go to the right? Move your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel to the right. Easy. Now go practice in a parking lot.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Greetings to you all,
Again thanks for the continued advice and recommendations! Pudentane, I'm moving on your suggestions ASAP! Finally, with a little "egg on my face"..............I discovered that, yes indeed, I do need to be hooked up to shore power before my TV to work...Duh! Oh well, little by little these kind of things will hopefully settle in! I'm sure more time in the old owners would help too!
J&B
08' 19' International
Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #20
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Glad I could be of help - I've certainly gotten more than my fair share from this forum. The water hose advice came from 2air, and I'm grateful to him - it saved a weekend for me - I didn't have to go shopping for another hose in an area that didn't have a WalMart nearby. It's the little things that can drive you crazy - also always take your basic tools with you - pliers, vice grips, hammer, adjustable crescent wrench, 4 way screwdriver, pry bar, etc. etc. and don't forget the duct tape and WD-40!

Cheers!