Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #1

Powder Springs , Georgia
Airstream Classic wannabe

Hello All...

I am a new visitor to this site. Am very seriously considering Buying a 2006 Classic 28 ft. trlr from a dealer in Tennessee. Currently have a 1997 Holiday Rambler 32 ft, Custom Aluma-Lite for trade.

Would really like to hear from owners in general as to their HONEST opinions of the following:

Heating/Airconditioning..... I'm acustomed to ducted a/c cooling my trlr nicely. How well will a 25-28 ft. Airstream doing in the cooling dept. in hot S.E. climates (or hot western trips),, and how well will it do in the dead of winter? Please respond with your honest answers.

Finally.....Durability? Do you REALLY love your Airstream? The only other travel trailer I'm still considering is a 25 ft. Bigfoot.
Looking forward to hearing from any of you as I learn this site.

Tom Driggers
Powder Springs, GA
Tom Driggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
From a 28 Classic owner

We love our Classic 28 and there have been very few problems of any kind. We did have a dead refrigerator early on, but I blame Dometic, not Airstream. Could have happened on any brand.

I have the 13.5k BTU AC and would have ordered the 15k had I not bought at the International. That said, we have been in 108-degree temps and the 13/5 has done very well. We carry a Fantastic "Endless Breeze" 12v fan to move cool air to where we want it. When we stop in hot weather, we turn on the AC and aim the 12v fan toward wherever we happen to be; usually the couch. In a few minutes, the trailer is liveable.

We selcom use the furnace, but it heats extremely fast and it has ducts to the bedroom and bathroom. We usually just use the heat pump which automatically switches to furnace below freezing. It has only switched once or twice here in Texas.

I think you can get by with the 13.5k AC in GA, but if ordering from the factory, specify the 15k.

The trailer is sturdy and, I am sure, will outlive by far all of the white boxes stored near me. I had my brakes upgraded and I love the disc brakes. Few other brands have discs.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
By the way

See my thread at http://www.airforums.com/forum...8-a-17610.html to see the modifications I have made on my 28.

Personally, I think the 28 is the best length Airstream makes. It is big enough to provide plenty of living and storage space and small enough to not be unwieldly on the road.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
If you want the greatest in insulation the BigFoot or Arctic Fox with special packages are probably the way to go for 4 season living. We have camped in the summer and winter and been comfortable but you will notice the extremes. I would not hesitate to be exposed to either in an Airstream but if that constituted the majority of my time I would consider the higher r values of arctic packages offered by those other manufacturers.

Heat pump works very well (not to be confused with a heat strip) The bathroom vent lacks heat, imo, the ac works well but would get the upgrade if possible. That fan John mentions is terrific. Picked up an Endless Breeze at the International and though I did not have electric for AC the direct breeze was refreshing.

I love our Airstream, currently a 27' Classic. In fact I have been accused of displaying serial airstreamist tendencies.

Airstreams are different, they feel different. I don't recall any middle of the roaders posting here. You either love them or they simply aren't here on these forums.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Tom---We have an 06 30'Classic. This is our 2nd Classic,the other being an 05 / 25' Classic. That said here is what we have found. On the down side like someone else said if you intend to spend lots of time in extreme temps hot or cold you might want to look into a trailer thats insulated better. As to the heating and cooling both work very well though not ducted like the Holiday R. Ours has the 13500 AC and is more than addiquit as is the furnace. We have spent as much as a month in both extremes and had no problems. This is about the only negative thing I could think of. On the positive side here are some things to concider.{1} Nothing tows as well as an Airstream. This translates into comfort as well as less fuel expence.{2} Lasting Value-Nothing holds it price as well as an Airstream. As they continue to increase in price new , the used prices increase as well. {3} Style -Airstream has been true to it's heritage. While the produce continues to evolve into a state of the art modern product they still retain their identy. The thing that makes an Airstream attractive never changes. Finally --there are lots of good trailers out there on the market. I some cases you can buy one of like size and equiped for a 3rd the price of an Airstream. However if you really want an Airstream NOTHING ELSE will satisfy that desire.--Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote