Old 05-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Thanks everyone for the input and comments...very helpful. The iffy wifey is going with me to our local dealer tomorrow to check out rigs (Classic 27FB, Classic 30, International Serenity 28 and International Serenity 30). I've been giving her my sales pitch all week, to some good effect, so we'll see what happens.

I took some earlier advice and sent Andy at CanAm an e-mail explaining the situation. He felt the Tundra would have no trouble pulling any of the trailers we are considering, with a proper equalizer and sway bar setup (which we have). I do understand needing to take care to not exceed either GVWR or towing capacity - there are just the two of us and a small pooch, so that shouldn't be an issue. I doubt we will have enough stuff to load a 30 to its GVWR. We may, however, rule out the Classic because we would not be able to load it to its GVWR and still be within the tow limit on the Tundra.

John

Old 05-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

John,

FWIW....You can toe anyting with anyting now a daze, the power is there in most of the newer SUV's.

I'm happier with "PAYLOAD". Our 25 Classic has a loaded tongue weight of 1200lbs, which would just about annihilate the payload of most of the intermediate's.

We got the trailer to go places, be comfortable and bring our "stuff".

If folks are good with toeing a 30'er with a whatever, so be it. I'll pull over and let'em Stream by.

Old school.....maybe but I FEEL better having a TV that more closely matches the size and weight of what's behind us.

What's safe and what's not?.....most vehicles are unsafe because their driven unsafely.

Point is, get your trailer, get a safe hitch system, hook it up go some place, if your not comfortable with it do the up-grades you feel will make it work, it ain't Rocket Science, 80% common sense, 20% doing the homework.

BTW...iffy wives ROCK.

Have fun shop'n

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
John, I was the iffy one. With my wife, the only thing she would look at were AS. And she only wanted new. I was skeptical and wanted to see the advantages of the huge price difference. Actually I wanted a boat and over the course of a year was turned around to this. My wife has lots of good negotiating skills and she used them all on me to her advantage. In the end I knew I wuz whupped so we got the AS. Can't say that it's so bad.

Bob, You're right this towing issue will never end and sometimes when I see a good thread I'll write someting that I know will inflame everybody. People will defend a bad or marginal decision just to not look dumb. THey teach you in Law School to take advantage of this human nature and it's a great tool for questioning. Some people refuse to even consider other alternatives.
Dan

Dan
Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I took a quick look at the new Seattle dealership inventory. At first blush, it would appear the 2012 models are a bit lighter (???).

I have not compared weights via the manual, but I believe one 2012 28' Serenity was lighter than my 2010 27' Flying Cloud.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Check out Airstream of Spokane. Really great folks, Nick and Karyn. Super knowledgable, no pressure and great service!!!

Airstream of Spokane: Travel Trailers, sales and service
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Thanks again everyone...!

Well, here's the update. We're no longer potential owners, at least as of Wednesday morning when I pick up our new 2012 Flying Cloud 30. Not the model I expected the spouse to like (you'd think after 40 years of marriage I'd have some predictive ability, but in this case not so...!). That works out well for the towing question, because that model's fully loaded GVWR is within the Tundra's towing capacity, and it is highly unlikely the two of us will be anywhere near loading the trailer with 2,500 lbs plus of cargo, even with a full fresh water tank. A significant majority of people we've talked to, including the towing guru at CanAm RV (Andy) and several folks who are towing larger units with the Tundra, believe our unit will do fine with the 8,800 lb. GVWR. If it turns out the rig is marginal, we'll trade it and upgrade the TV, but it makes sense to do some trials first. I'm going to try to get a spot at a local county park for this weekend as a dry run.

For the extra weight and price, she didn't like the Classic 30, and actually preferred the look and a few other things about the Flying Cloud we bought (two A/C units, full awnings package, and the inverter). She actually preferred the interior of the Flying Cloud to the Serenity, and that's her bailiwick, not mine, so I was fine with that.

We're excited...!

John
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Congratulations on your new Flying Cloud!!! Now you must post pics when you get her! Safe travels!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #22
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Check out Airstream of Spokane. Really great folks, Nick and Karyn. Super knowledgable, no pressure and great service!!!

Airstream of Spokane: Travel Trailers, sales and service
I second that. I will be taking my trailer to them to be repaired and then sold.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
JTMB

Congratulations on your new Flying Cloud and welcome to the forums. I have an 08 Tundra and love it as a TV and traveling with out the Trailer. My biggest complaint is that it is HUGE, just like the other good TV. I agree with Aftermath to try it and see how it works. The fact that Andy at CanAm likes it speaks volumes for me. Watch your loading though.

Dan
Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Well that didn't take long!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMB View Post
Thanks again everyone...!

Well, here's the update. We're no longer potential owners, at least as of Wednesday morning when I pick up our new 2012 Flying Cloud 30. Not the model I expected the spouse to like (you'd think after 40 years of marriage I'd have some predictive ability, but in this case not so...!). That works out well for the towing question, because that model's fully loaded GVWR is within the Tundra's towing capacity, and it is highly unlikely the two of us will be anywhere near loading the trailer with 2,500 lbs plus of cargo, even with a full fresh water tank. A significant majority of people we've talked to, including the towing guru at CanAm RV (Andy) and several folks who are towing larger units with the Tundra, believe our unit will do fine with the 8,800 lb. GVWR. If it turns out the rig is marginal, we'll trade it and upgrade the TV, but it makes sense to do some trials first. I'm going to try to get a spot at a local county park for this weekend as a dry run.

For the extra weight and price, she didn't like the Classic 30, and actually preferred the look and a few other things about the Flying Cloud we bought (two A/C units, full awnings package, and the inverter). She actually preferred the interior of the Flying Cloud to the Serenity, and that's her bailiwick, not mine, so I was fine with that.

We're excited...!

John

John,

I told you iffy wives ROCK. Most just can't stay iffy around Airstreams.

Same thing happened with our purchase, DW fell in love with the inside and that was fine with me.

Now get the Stream loaded up and get go' n.

If you have the opportunity try and get to the CAT scales to confirm your set-up,(weight distribution), very important to get the AS and TV level.

Are we have'n fun yet?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
John - YAY for you guys! We love our 30. Have a great time. She has wheels, so roll her.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
No problem with getting miles on the AS...! We have two 3-week trips planned for the summer, and I am taking a 6-week cross-country and back trip in the fall. On the long trip, I will be mostly solo, but the DW will be meeting me to ride along for a week or so on two parts of the trip. I'm picking up the trailer Wednesday morning and probably will go directly to a local campground for the weekend if I can get a space reserved to get familiar with and test everything. There is a big truck stop nearby which I'm going to check tomorrow to see what's involved in getting weighed. The dealership will be swapping the 1,000 pound equalizers and sway bar setup from our current trailer to the AS, and I don't expect any major issues getting things set up, but will make sure everything is fine before our longer trips.

2012 Flying Cloud 30
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
JTMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Congratulations on a great travel combo, and looks like you plan to use it. We just got back from a six month trip and we're looking for another summer destination. Love the Airstream.

doug k
Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Wonderful! I love my Flying Cloud. I agree with your wife; it's all about the interior!