Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #1

2006 25' Safari FB SE
2019 25' International
Bozeman , Montana
2006 Safari 25' SE FB Hitch

We just picked up our first Airstream (2006 Safari 25' SE FB) this past weekend and are in the process of figuring it out. This site has been a great resource to find out what others are suggesting for various trailer issues. But, I could not find anything about installing a receiver hitch on the back of the trailer. I would like to use it for my bike rack. Could someone point me in the right direction... Thanks, Scott
bigskymtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Congrats on the new AS. Try doing a search for "bike racks" and there might be some threats that discuss the impact of additional weight on the rear of the RV that affect towing and in some cases structural problems with the additional weight on the frame. I think most discussions would not recommend adding the rack to the back of the AS. Others will comment I'm sure.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Try the other end...

There is a bike rack that will attach to the front of your TV...you'd have to probably do a search on Google or something to find a "brand"...but I know I've seen them before.

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:56 AM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Please don't put ANY sort of rack or storage on the back of your Airstream. Airstreams just are not designed to handle that sort of stress from the additional weight. Use a rack on the front of your tow vehicle instead.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:02 AM   #5
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
2006 Safari fb

Please be advised that anything attached with a screw is not sealed and will leak.
The only fix is too remove double sidded tape and seal with sikaflex and reattach. Check the roof for lack of screws, things held on by doublesidded tape only.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:10 AM   #6
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
2006 Safari fb

Also found out from Zip Dee that new awning seams will leak until they have been deployed in sunlight for several days.
Heading too Jackson Center Sat for warrenty work on AC, Table leg.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
Don,

I also had problems with the original table leg on my 25' FB. It didn't lock very well in the upright position. This was a precarious situation with collapse a real possibility. When the dealer replaced it he installed one made of square tubing rather than the flimsy round tubing model. The replacement is a much better design with a more positive locking mechanism. It was supplied by Airstream so if a replacement is in order, you might suggest to them that they replace with one similar to mine.

Ed
Buzzy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Curious~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
Please be advised that anything attached with a screw is not sealed and will leak.
The only fix is too remove double sidded tape and seal with sikaflex and reattach. Check the roof for lack of screws, things held on by doublesidded tape only.

Don
Don,
Could you be more specific about that? Under normal process, the screws are supposed to have been dipped into the sikaflex and, then screwed into the unit..Almost everything on the roof gets covered over with a liberal coating..
I'm really curious about "what" did you find that's held on by a double-sided tape...
I can't even imagine..Unless,....Are you talking about the seal under the A/C unit?
ciao
53FC
moderator...You might wanta move some of these to a more appropriate thread..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Check w/ AIrstream?

Scott-

The bias against receiver hitch bike racks here is linked in some part to the large number of trailers from the 1970's and 1980's where the rear of the frame sagged away from the trailer, leading to expensive repairs, water leaks etc... Any extra weight cantilevered off the end of a frame designed for just the trailer is a potential risk factor in frame sag.. That also explains why members here don't usually endorse spare tires or other stored mass on the rear.

That said, the newest trailers might be able to handle a bike rack and lightweight bicycle.. I'd suggest a message to Airstream Tech Support in Jackson Center to see what they say about your particular trailer...

If that doesn't work, there are a number of options to mount a receiver under the front bumper of most SUV's and use that means to install a front rack for a bike...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Scott-

The bias against receiver hitch bike racks here is linked in some part to the large number of trailers from the 1970's and 1980's where the rear of the frame sagged away from the trailer, leading to expensive repairs, water leaks etc... Any extra weight cantilevered off the end of a frame designed for just the trailer is a potential risk factor in frame sag.. That also explains why members here don't usually endorse spare tires or other stored mass on the rear.

That said, the newest trailers might be able to handle a bike rack and lightweight bicycle..
I was discussing this recently with a friend...sounds like a good question for the guys on "the VAP".
The frames on the newer airstreams are very different from the vintage days...heavier steel, and boxed beams, instead of c-channel.
However, it has also been said that the problem is not solely one of "frame strength", but also the connection between the shell and the frame. On the really older trailers, the frames actually sag when the shell is removed; the shell is holding up the frame, rather than the other way around. Is this the case with later models, too?
My question, which hasn't been answered yet is: what needs to be done so that the trailer in question *can* adequately handle the added load, be it from an enlarged tank, a spare tire, a bike rack...or all of the above?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Having a pre-Beatrice Foods (a.k.a. - Rear End Separation period) shorter Argosy with rear seal problems 30 years down the road, I would not sell this issue too short. The distance from the rear axle to the rear bumper represents a "moment arm" (read: crow bar) that amplifies every bounce in the road.

"He who dies with the most toys wins" it has been said. When it comes to Airstreams you can't carry them all with you. A dozen years ago I was figuring I could carry the canoe on top of the Airstream. Hah! I am working out a system to carry my canoe on top and bicycles inside my pickup topper. It is surprising -- the shell is fairly rigid but the frame always will flex. I recognize trailers are built different now vs. then. But be afraid .... be very afraid.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote