Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
1984 Sovereign - Intro

Hello. My name is Ryan. About 3 years ago, my grandparents gave me their 1984 31 foot Sovereign. It is practically in mint condition. I take it out about 4 to 6 a year and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute. I plan on keeping it as original as possible. However, I would like to install new wood floors and also polish the Airstream. The trailer sat unused for 5 years before I got it. Nothing was broken in it (A/C, lights, microwave, etc.). I usually take the Airstream to Broken Bow, Oklahoma every March, August, November, and December to go trout and bass fishing. Nothing beats camping.

Like my vehicles, I "baby" my Airstream. I will not polish it until I get an enclosed storage place for it. Most of my friends give me a hard time about owning an Airstream. How many 26 year olds own their own Airstreams?? Anyhow, I am very excited about this website. A man approached me at a gas station in Antlers, Oklahoma and told me about this website. I have gotten so many ideas from here already. I'll be posting pictures of my Airstream soon. I am very proud to be an owner of such a cool looking trailer. -Ryan
gmcryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
You need to get some new friends if they don't think it is cool to have an Airstream!! They might be just jealous.
Very neat that you have your grandparents' trailer. Welcome to the forums--we look forward to your pictures.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcryan View Post
Hello. My name is Ryan. About 3 years ago, my grandparents gave me their 1984 31 foot Sovereign. It is practically in mint condition. I take it out about 4 to 6 a year and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute. I plan on keeping it as original as possible. However, I would like to install new wood floors and also polish the Airstream. The trailer sat unused for 5 years before I got it. Nothing was broken in it (A/C, lights, microwave, etc.). I usually take the Airstream to Broken Bow, Oklahoma every March, August, November, and December to go trout and bass fishing. Nothing beats camping.

Like my vehicles, I "baby" my Airstream. I will not polish it until I get an enclosed storage place for it. Most of my friends give me a hard time about owning an Airstream. How many 26 year olds own their own Airstreams?? Anyhow, I am very excited about this website. A man approached me at a gas station in Antlers, Oklahoma and told me about this website. I have gotten so many ideas from here already. I'll be posting pictures of my Airstream soon. I am very proud to be an owner of such a cool looking trailer. -Ryan
Hi,

I am a newish owner of an original 1985 Sovereign.

I did some minor repairs to the floor at the entrance door and rplace the original with a floating oak composite floor Lowe's brand. They lock at the seams and very easy install. See pics in my gallery.

I stripped just the upper roof of clearcoat and will just wax it for now. The clearcoat was peeling and I stripped it just to neaten it up a bit. Used just an off the shelf paint remover, worked fine, if all of it didn't come off the first application, do again and it will be great. Good luck with your project, slow as you go you will also, as we do "Airsrteaming, we're Lovin it"!!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcryan View Post
Most of my friends give me a hard time about owning an Airstream. How many 26 year olds own their own Airstreams??
Your friends have no idea how cool Airstreams are! Welcome to the forums!
read about our adventures in renovation
janiemerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Ryan,

Glad someone steered you to the site. Congratulations on the Airstream that's a generous gift. Keep us posted on your reno/remod progress.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote