Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
1964 Overlander in WA

Hi, all.

I was given a 1964 26ft Overlander about 3 years ago. I am a chandler and my friend thougt that I could use the Airstream to make candles in, moving it from show to show.

That was almost three years ago, and there it sits. I have no keys, I have no idea where any of the important bits are, and not much works. It has a cracked skylight and the aft/starboard floor is rotted. The oven/stove works and one of the two twin beds is in decent condition. Other than that....

I don't have the money or skills to restore it properly, but I would like to get it to the point where it is usable. Right now it is a very large paper weight.

I have so many questions.

Is there a basic guide to owning an Airstream? Something that tells where things are, how to tell if they work, and how to replace them if they don't? Is there any way to tell if this can be made road worthy or if it will always be a paper weight? Is there any way to find out what kind of vehicle I need to pull it?

I hope that I will be able to find help and camaraderie in this forum.

So... the journey begins.

Deb
dejahardy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
wow

the answers to your questions are in this forum; you need to figger out 1) what question(s) to ask, and 2) how to search for answers on this forum.

learning to use this forum is somewhat time consuming, but noodle around until you get the idea.

making a 50 year old trailer usable as an effective paperweight will take a LOT of time; making it usable as a trailer to go down the road will take even MORE time as well as wheel barrow's full of money.

again, answers to these question are here-noodle around.

But most importantly, welcome and good luck!
'ol bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Welcome to the forum. A 64 airstream would make a cool studio and even cooler mobile shop! Imagine the reflective intrigue of all your candles on a shiny aluminum

That said there is likely to be a lot of work needed to get it in shape. The good news is that you can pick away at them as time and funds permit. Almost all parts are still available and we have lots of advice here on the forum.

Systems will need to be checked out, running gear and safety items, and then finally the cosmetic stuff. If it's not water tight, the first order of business will be finding and fixing leaks.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If you cannot do almost all of the work yourself, you now are the proud owner of a money pit!
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, 1964 overlander