Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
One of the main floorplan differences between the 30' and the 31' was that the 30' has a pass through bathroom, whereas the 31' has the head and shower on the street side.

The 30' makes a bit more room because of this so that the dinette is not parked up very close to the front sofa like the 31 but I still maintain that the 31' dinette, even with the dinette as close to the sofa as it is, I prefer better because I'm not a huge fan of the pass through bathroom. One reason is because you go camping with buddies and such, there is no bashfulness. In the summer the A/C unit is front of the bathroom. One of your buddies or even your significant other takes care of business, your bedroom in in the airflow path from the A/C unit through the pass through bath, into your bedroom area....and if you leave the sliding doors closed, you get no real A/C in the back.

I still maintain and should clarify that I believe there should be a base model Safari (aka Flying Cloud) and base line Classic in which customers can select or de-select options rather than have so many different production models. Since the CCD is based of the Safari/Flying Cloud designs, it should have options based off the base Safari/Flying Clould line, not be a full production line item in and of itself.

I was thinking about my prior comments on my way into work today and thought about the 16' Safari (no longer avail), the 16' CCD the 16' DWR 19' regular 19' Safari, the 19 foot CCD, the 19 foot SE. Now there is the 17 sport, the 17' panoramic sport and it goes on and on and on. There are dozens of different production models, some the exact same size.

It would seem that Airstream though they haven't adopted this method, clearly realizes that the they can't be everything to everyone. I think nixing the 34' is a mistake, I would keep it a special order item because of the number of full timers that prefer it. The other Classics, particularly the barrage of FB units, I think the handwriting was on the wall once they flooded the FB market and of course the very low volume units.

I also think that bringing back the Argosy line as the lightweight, entry level unit should be reconsidered and make the Argosy the "Airstream Sport" of it's time, putting the 16, 17 foot units exclusively Argosy with perhaps a 19 or 20' unit, making the Airstream line 19' and above. I think the days of Argosy and Airstream were good back then, it wasn't necc and was nixed, and may be a good move to resurrect now in this new marketplace.

At the very least, a painted Argosy would not show corrosion.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Oh and BTW, a 20% reduction in workforce in a town and area like Jackson Center is not a pretty thing either. Out of all my issues I've laid out here, the loss of 20% of the company's workforce is the most unfortunate. Even if the things were put together near perfect, in this economy, even if the price of the trailers was far less, I don't think it would help. My thoughts are with those 20%, some of which I may have met or seen in my travels to the factory a few times over the past few years....

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
It only makes sense to discontinue a particular line if it makes up such a small percentage of total production.

Personally, we don't particularly care for the traditional styling of the Classic and we lean more towards contemporary - that's why we ended up with a Safari SE.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
While I think it is a smart move to economize during these times of economic downturn (euphamism for: Ain't nobody go no money), I think it would be a mistake to discontinue the longer coaches all together. I think everybody has made very valid points, especially being able to order a coach that suits your wants and needs.

I would be the counterpoint to Jimandrod. Where they like the modern interiors and stylings, I like the traditional interiors of the Classic line. The Classic interior was a major factor in our original purchase. All the loud interiors on the SOBs almost made us physically ill. I like the modern Airstream interiors in passing, but would not want it for myself.

I just hope the marquee weathers the financial storm. We may want to purchase another new Airstream sometime down the line when we pass ours onto our daughter.

PS - I was really saddened when they dropped the motorhome design that they had been working on with BMW. I don't care for motorhomes, but I think I would have broke down for the one thay had on the drawing board.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Setting aside contemporary vs traditional styling (which is nothing more than personal preference) Carl makes a good point that I never even considered - there will be no more longer more longer length models. I wonder if that's a good business decision or not???

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 01-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
It only makes sense to discontinue a particular line if it makes up such a small percentage of total production.

Personally, we don't particularly care for the traditional styling of the Classic and we lean more towards contemporary - that's why we ended up with a Safari SE.
Hmmm - when I read this again I had a thought that I may have sounded a bit harsh on my comments on the interior of Classics. The Classics are beautiful, but tend to be more traditional in styling. There was a day that our tastes were leaning in that direction - particularly when we lived in DC & VA.

Compared to the interiors found in many SOBs the Classic's interior is really stylish and in much better taste than the average RV. We just lean a little more towards contemporary.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 01-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Discontinuing them now doesn't preclude them from bringing them back when, and if, a market resurfaces for 34 footers.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker View Post
DH and I could not even begin to imagine FTing in any thing other than a 34'.

Will they still be available on special order or will they be completely discontinued?

Also, what about the new toyhauler? Is that going to be a great idea done too late?

'shaker
I gotta go with fr8tshakr on this. (Hers is really nice)
Old 01-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I am sure that I have never seen an Airstream TV commercial. I would think a well placed TV commercial would/could drum up interest in the product.

The wife and I did stop in at the local A/S dealer this past weekend. You can get a nice big 5th wheel for the price of a 19' Bambi. I think the high prices scare a lot of folks away in these tough economic times.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Setting aside contemporary vs traditional styling (which is nothing more than personal preference) Carl makes a good point that I never even considered - there will be no more longer more longer length models. I wonder if that's a good business decision or not???
A big difference is the cost of the cabinet work in the Classics. All the face frames and doors are solid wood (Hickory). More labor intensive to build and a higher material cost. Airstream has used an outside vendor for the Cabinets in the Classics for the past couple of years and the quality is top rate.All other Airstream models have veneered plywood cabinets. May be a cleaner more modern look but I've looked closely at the quality of construction ,and if Airstream only offered veneered cabinets I wouldn't have bought. Also, although I love the 34's and almost bought one, if I were going full timeI would be looking at other manufacturers that may offer a lot more room and comfort for $100,000.00+, and Airstream by no means is the qualty King if they ever were. I think that the few sales they may lose by dropping the larger models won't make a bit of difference to their bottom line. I bought an 07 25' Classic with the last of the traditional floor plan before they went with the FB, got some custom features added on the line and I'm a happy camper.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hmmm - when I read this again I had a thought that I may have sounded a bit harsh on my comments on the interior of Classics. The Classics are beautiful, but tend to be more traditional in styling. There was a day that our tastes were leaning in that direction - particularly when we lived in DC & VA.

Compared to the interiors found in many SOBs the Classic's interior is really stylish and in much better taste than the average RV. We just lean a little more towards contemporary.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Jimandrod,
No offense taken here. Where you lean towards contemporary we lean towards traditional, just simple differences in taste.

I just think it is nice that Airstream makes interiors that are a departture from the loud fabrics and patterns found in other trailers. They remind me more of what you would find in a non-mobile home.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Expensive

"How many times do you hear, wow, this is sharp, then they see the price tag and I have heard all too many times "are they crazy"?"

Yep, that was us. I was so put off by the MSRPs I wouldn't even talk with the dealers, even though they're sold for less than MSRP. I'm so glad we found exactly what we wanted gently used.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think A/S has a lot of problems and seem too stubborn to address some of them:

1. Too many models increases costs, even when they are all handmade.

2. No advertising to speak of.

3. QC issues.

4. Design issues.

5. Price issues.

6. Emphasis on heavy trailers when the trend in tow vehicles may be toward lighter trucks because of fear of high gas prices again.

7. Weak dealer network. Why do so many people travel a 1,000 miles to buy or repair a trailer?

Gene
Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
7. Weak dealer network. Why do so many people travel a 1,000 miles to buy or repair a trailer?
Because the dealer 45 miles from my house is a crook!

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 classic