Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2002, 01:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JrnymnJay
Question where belly meets floor meets shell

I'll be doing a chassis repair and total floor shell-off replacement and I'm trying to think of a nicer system for the new belly attachment.

My late '56 Overlander is going to spend some time as a 'park model' but I want to design the new belly pan so it is easy to get to for future remodeling or repair.

The current way to attach the belly skin is by wrapping it over the C channel that is attached to the floor, and then the shell overlap is attached to the channel. So basically you can't get to one part without affecting the other.

I'm considering some kind of separate channel or angle that comes down from the floor so that the belly and shell are independent of each other.

Does my problem make sense? Am I making this more difficult by trying to come up with a different attachment system from what Wally did almost 50 years ago?

Jay
JrnymnJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jay. Instead of folding the underbelly over the floor channel, you can simply attach it to the floor channel with pop rivets. To insure that you don't have water leaks, the side sheets must overlap the underbelly wrap.
Your thought of a different way sounds like you will inviting trouble.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 02:38 AM   #3

Jay,

Did you ever put the pieces together again? or did another gust of wind blow the shell to Airstream heaven

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 06:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JrnymnJay
I've still got all the pieces...I have lots more photos to post in the future. I only had one section of C channel that was too badly corroded to re-use---I took some pics which were good examples of the kind of corrosion that occurs between dissimilar metals-I forget the word for it right now.

The incident only broke 3 windows, all of which were going to be replaced anyway. It also ripped a seam apart near the roof in the back curb side by the window, but it looks repairable without an extreme amount of fuss.

Having taken all the belly pan off and seeing how the shell is attached to the floor perimeter, I've decided I'm going to reinstall the shell with an "interim" connector stripsheet in the place of where the belly pan was. This will allow me to isolate each construction element to make future repairs or modifications easier.

I'll be able to drop the belly easier because it will be all flat portion instead of flat and rounded portion where it connects to the shell. I'll also be able to improve water deflection.

Just taking everything in stride...

Jay
JrnymnJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 12:01 AM   #5

Jay,

Glad to hear about the minimal damage, keep us updated on your interesting solutions.

You are in no hurry, as you have another cute one for emergency camping

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by JrnymnJay
I've still got all the pieces...I have lots more photos to post in the future. I only had one section of C channel that was too badly corroded to re-use---I took some pics which were good examples of the kind of corrosion that occurs between dissimilar metals-I forget the word for it right now.

The incident only broke 3 windows, all of which were going to be replaced anyway. It also ripped a seam apart near the roof in the back curb side by the window, but it looks repairable without an extreme amount of fuss.

Having taken all the belly pan off and seeing how the shell is attached to the floor perimeter, I've decided I'm going to reinstall the shell with an "interim" connector stripsheet in the place of where the belly pan was. This will allow me to isolate each construction element to make future repairs or modifications easier.

I'll be able to drop the belly easier because it will be all flat portion instead of flat and rounded portion where it connects to the shell. I'll also be able to improve water deflection.

Just taking everything in stride...

Jay
Well I'm about to get into the floor on mine and I think one of the reasons the floor got so bad on mine is no way to inspect from time to time. I also like ot have access when I want to change something so I'm taking interest in your ideas here.

Let me see if I understand what your planning. Basicly your belly pan will have the perimiter area where it meets the side walls and this will be fixed like original. Then your going to have a section of removable belly pan that meets up with it. That sounds like a great idea to me. There is a lot of stuff that My Father-ijn-law add to the 59 that if it were up to me I would have wanted to just go under the floor and come back up where I wanted it. Stuff like Coax for the TV antenna. He routed around the side walls to get to the back where he placed the TV. While he did a good job I could have drilled a 3/8 hole behind the sofa and came back up under the sink and put a wall plate and made it all but invisable and a much cleaner install.
Are you planning to rivit the removable pan or use some sort of quick connect like a Dzus fastener?
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Jay. Instead of folding the underbelly over the floor channel, you can simply attach it to the floor channel with pop rivets. To insure that you don't have water leaks, the side sheets must overlap the underbelly wrap.
Your thought of a different way sounds like you will inviting trouble.
That's actually a really interesting idea! Very simple and practical, I like it...
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote