Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
a "floating floor" is one that is not fastened to the subfloor, which allows independant movement of the finish floor and subfloor. Typically "planks" of some sort, either natural or engineered wood products, or laminate like "pergo". the pieces are attached to each other with glue, or in most cases now, with a locking tounge and groove system.

This is perfect for something like an RV that goes bouncing and twisting down the road, and is exposed to extreme temps, both hot and cold, which will cause expansion and contraction of most material.

I'm not sure what you bought, but your description "oak planks" sounds like standard 3/4" x 2 or 3" flooring that is meant for houses. Houses don't bounce around much, and the temperatures inside them are much more stable than in an RV left parked outside for most of the year with no heat/no a/c running. These t&g planks are meant to be nailed to the subfloor, and also to the underlying wood floor joists...airstreams don't have those. Nails are not a good way to fasten something that goes bouncing down the highway. they will work their way loose. Solid wood planks are also very heavy, compared to laminate or cork tiles.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Bambam you have traditional hardwood flooring material. In the homes it was nailed through the tongue at a 45 degree angle with a special floor nailer. I have seen this flooring installed in other Airstreams and it makes a nice looking floor. There is a special adheavise for flooring and it is troweled on. Take your time and it will make a very nice job. I am getting ready to start the same project. I will be using a 3/8" oak flooring material, really a form or plywood but the method of installation is the same. Go to Bruce flooring and there is a blurb in there on installation. Best of luck.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
The cork that I ordered comes only in case lots of 11 1' x 2' tiles. In order to determine whether 2 cases would cover the area, I measured the trailer and made a CAD image of the floor plan.

I laid out a tile at a reasonable starting point and then used the stamp function of the program to place additional tiles as needed to cover the whole area. Where the tiles extended out of the area, I could see what portion of the tile could be used elsewhere. I required that all joints must be factory edges.

I then went back and started numbering the tiles. The odd shape of the floor requires a lot of tile cutting. Part tiles are numbered 1a, 1b, etc.

I made 3 layouts using different starting alignments. In all 3 layouts, the 2 cases of cork will cover the area. What I did find out that one of the layouts involves much less tile cutting and fitting than the other two.
What did you seal the cork with.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Pergo Flooring

Seems like most of the issues have been covered. This is what I am doing.
1. Removed carpets,padding and 1000's of staples.
2. Applied MinWax water base Polyurethane to the plywood
3. Dopped a plumb bob from the overhead rail and marked a line all the way
4. Left 1/4 inch on all sides
5. Latex caulked the 1/4 inch gap, no molding needed

The Pergo rep told me they will not warranty flooring in a travel trailer. Do not use plastic under the flooring.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Cool New floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsymes
Seems like most of the issues have been covered. This is what I am doing.
1. Removed carpets,padding and 1000's of staples.
2. Applied MinWax water base Polyurethane to the plywood
3. Dopped a plumb bob from the overhead rail and marked a line all the way
4. Left 1/4 inch on all sides
5. Latex caulked the 1/4 inch gap, no molding needed

The Pergo rep told me they will not warranty flooring in a travel trailer. Do not use plastic under the flooring.
We completed installing a floating floor (Pergo) in our '75 Tradewind yesterday. Went is relatively easy. One hint, when cutting you want to use a carbide tipped saw.

I left a ¼ gap but I need to wait for warmer weather to caulk.

In the bathroom we chose linoleum. I was not comfortable with using laminate with weet feet from taking a shower. It also breaks things up nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02385.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	10090   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02388.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	10091  

balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Fake Slate

Brian,
Could you tell me more about the fake slate you used. I'm trying to find something for the entryway of my Classic TT. I did see, at the RV show today, that some of the higher end MHs had what appeared to be a granite/marble tile floor. Does anyone know of a product that would give this appearance but without the weight?
Thanks
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

balrgn, looks good

Just as a note, I had to apply the caulking twice due to shrinkage. I am stopped at the bathroom for now trying to make up my mind what I want to do. I have had friends put the Pergo down in the bathrooms in their homes with good success, but not a travel trailer. Like you I don’t want to be on water patrol after every use.
I see you took the gaucho/sofa out are you planning to change the front end??
I am, so I went all the way to the forward end, and working up plans for a dinette set/full size bed. Also I am making the provisions for a convertible front interior, in case I ever sell (right). The new owner can have it both ways.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #28
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
M & M - Composite materials

M & M,

Since your in the Cape, source out a high level Marine Repair Yard or preferably a yacht builder. Ask the joiners for a look at their composite material vendor catalogs. You will find everything from slate, marble, aluminum, wood, etc. panels that are cored with aluminum or plastics, etc ... we use them in all facets of yacht construction for countertops, bulkhead panels and FLOORS.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

pix?

I would love to see more pictures of these beautiful floors. And I think everyone would like to know more about this "cork board" flooring
BrianWSNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Cool Flooring

At long last, seems like it has been a long time since I found the rotted floor behind the shower that started this all. We looked at so many options. Fortunately the PO had removed the old carpet and installed new under layment over the old floor. The PO had also removed the gaucho, and installed a NICE leather sofa. It is so comfortable to sit and read or watch TV we decided not to replace the gaucho. It seems nicer sleeping over the wheels. We made a bridge out of 3/4 Plywood and pull the 2 mattresses together at night. Over that we put a foam cushion to eliminate the gap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02396.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	10114   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02393.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	10115  

balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:57 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Have gotten around to replacing carpet with probably a Pergo type floor. Boy this search forum feature is a big help!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #32

1975 31' Sovereign
Ft Rucker , Alabama
Flooring

Just a quick question on what kind of threshold one would use with going from carpet in the living room to a pergo type flooring in the kitchen, then back to carpet for the hall between beds, then linoleum in the bath....oh yeah I have a '75 31' rear bath Sovereign.Thanks
lucasjenni is offline   Reply With Quote