Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ventura , California
Please help!!

I am currently replacing my sub floors and am soo stuck. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the elevator bolts out of my floor! I've tried the wiggle method but the head of the bolts underneath are flush with the plywood so there's no way to get a hold of them to hold them tight so I could unscrew the nuts on top. I have the belly pan off, all interior wall panels removed and am so ready to get the old rotted sub floor OUT! So please if anyone has any advice on different ways to go about it please help!
jaminalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
4" angle head grinder being careful!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #3

1960 28' Ambassador
Dayton , Ohio
I ground the heads of with a 5'' right angle grinder. I figured the bolts would be so rusty they would not break loose anyway. Good luck
danny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Or a dremel tool with a cut off head. I used both methods, depending on where the bolt was. Both will create a fair amount of smoke as they burn through the wood to cut off the bolt head, so ventilation is important.

Chris
Minno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
I very easily removed mine by clamping a pair of vice grips to the end of the bolt and by flexing them back and forth I fatigued the metal and the bolt just snapped off above the nut. Then with a hammer and punch pushed the rest of the bolt up through the hole. No fuss no mess and no smoke or flames.
others have used a hole saw to create a hole in the sub floor around the bolt so as to gain space to clamp the head of the bolt.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
First, the belly pan, then the multi-tool

Like the others have said, you'll have to take the belly pan off, get access to the frame. The bolts most likely have been bent to prevent the nuts from vibrating and coming loose or off.

I used a cut-off wheel on a Dremel rotary tool, with an extension attachment for hard to reach areas. I got the extension at Harbor Freight. I wonder if the new multi-tool would be even better, not so much slinging metal shavings all over the place.

I'm sure you are already doing so, but, be sure to wear good eye protection. I also wore a hat, sleeves, and buttoned my shirt all the way to my chin. Metal shavings can be very irritating, even painful, in my noobie experience.

Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminalee View Post
I am currently replacing my sub floors and am soo stuck. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the elevator bolts out of my floor! I've tried the wiggle method but the head of the bolts underneath are flush with the plywood so there's no way to get a hold of them to hold them tight so I could unscrew the nuts on top. I have the belly pan off, all interior wall panels removed and am so ready to get the old rotted sub floor OUT! So please if anyone has any advice on different ways to go about it please help!
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ventura , California
Thank You !!!!

Thank you everyone for your advice, I will try all these methods and let you know which worked best for me
jaminalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good luck! I did this a couple years ago. It's a puzzler, and the part you're doing is the toughest part. After this, stuff will start going back together pretty quickly.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1957 16' Bubble
Fort Collins , Colorado
+ 1 on the 4" angle grinder. It has gotten me through a couple other spots on the renovation. It was great for cutting through the rusted u bolt hangers holding the axle to the leaf springs. The threads were too rusted and damaged to muscle the nuts off.
baby_beluga is offline   Reply With Quote