Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Angry I'm too trusting i guess now look.. what a mess!!

I have nothing but problem over this past weekend i was pulling up &out the twin beds in my 75 31 ft Sov to get to the water pipes put back down and to put the hardwood floor down.And i notice in the back along the wall in two different places under each bed that i have one bad spot on the wall side in the middle of each bed, the size of my fest .I thought no big deal easy fix......wrong answer.That was until i moved the night stand in the middle of the floor.The hole floor was gone.The people who had it tryed coving it up with new flooring.Still leaving the problem of it get wet i guess for me.The back frame is also bad just the one that run at the back end of the campr and the two side ons are back..How am i going to fixing this not sure yet.I myself cant remove the body off the frame like you guy are doing.But i do want to repair and repair it right .The last owner should of told us and they had problems instead of covering it up by throwing a piece of plywood over it and left it...Its a wonder the back didn't fall off going down the road since its be like this for many years now..I will be post pic of this crap soon.And let you know how we going about trying to fix it.We know what caused the problem which was the thin piece of sheet metal that runs under the floor from the toolbox.Water looked like it has been running under it keeping the floor wet and caused it to crumb under my feet while removing everything.
We been thing of either taking the toolbox and sheet of metal completely off and leaving it off to stop this problem from recurring.Or redoing it where it wont be connect to the frames floor so water wont run under it again..Thank goodness my husband was a certified welder he use to build barges and sawmill equipment in his day.Time to get the welder and the plasma cutter out..wish us luck
Old 05-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Was this tool box mounted on the back or front of the coach? If your husband has a welder and plasma cutter, your in good hands!!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Was this tool box mounted on the back or front of the coach? If your husband has a welder and plasma cutter, your in good hands!!

Yes it was,there are pic on the profile of the damge..We just have to figure out how to go about it....I guess i do have a question why did they put those toolboxes on in the first place are they really good for anything beide collecting water?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Looking at your photo album I didn't see any added on toolbox, just the typical hose storage bumper. Though people have had problems with that directing water in to rot the floor if it's not sealed properly. If that's the 'tool box' you're talking about, I don't think you want to remove it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Angel,
You beat me to it! I am sure my rearend (the trailer's not mine ) looks as bad or worse than yours (again the trailer's ). I knew mine was in poor shape when I bought it. Don't have a plasma cutter...yet but we do have one at work that I can probably borrow for the weekend when the time comes. Just think when you are done you will have a trailer that will be good to go for another 30+ years I would leave the storage bin (toolbox) there, just make to seal it up properly.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Angel,
You beat me to it! I am sure my rearend (the trailer's not mine ) looks as bad or worse than yours (again the trailer's ). I knew mine was in poor shape when I bought it. Don't have a plasma cutter...yet but we do have one at work that I can probably borrow for the weekend when the time comes. Just think when you are done you will have a trailer that will be good to go for another 30+ years I would leave the storage bin (toolbox) there, just make to seal it up properly.

Aaron
Ok but how do you all, purpose to seal the finges.theres little holes all down it that you cant seal or it wont open.which is letting water in to stand in the toolbox which is the reason the first floor brace is gone now.I can seal the sheet metal that runs under the floor to keep it from getting wet again but not the holes in the toolbox lid or hose care lid...lol am not sure what its call....
But really why should it be there all you need is the bumper.It would solve future problems would it?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My bumper box has holes in it to allow the water to drain....at least I think that is why the holes are there. I plan to POR-15 the frame sections before I put the Aluminum back on. That should keep them from rusting out. Most of my damage was caused by water getting in between the shell and the hinge part of the lid. I haven't gotten mine far enough apart yet to decide the best way to fix it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Seal,seal,seal

Angel,
We have the same trailer as you with the bumper storage. Like Aaron stated if you look there should be a small gap behind the hinged door. What I did is seal that area. Also the area inside closet to the back where you found that piece of sheet metal I sealed all the way down and around I didnt have much rust so I let the seal dry and then did por-15 on the inside. We to had the quick patch under the bunks and it is still there for right now we have put that on the to do later list. After I sealed no more moisture that I can detect.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
My bumper box has holes in it to allow the water to drain....at least I think that is why the holes are there. I plan to POR-15 the frame sections before I put the Aluminum back on. That should keep them from rusting out. Most of my damage was caused by water getting in between the shell and the hinge part of the lid. I haven't gotten mine far enough apart yet to decide the best way to fix it.

Aaron
No holes in ours to drain, yet that is...Yeap that's what caused our floor to go the water running under the shell due to the lip that runs under the floor. the hinge door has tiny holes that is also letting water in to the toolbox and leaking to the braces and rotting them too.

Rebel Beck....yeah our patch work is turned in to about 2 by 4 feet sheet now or atleast to the eye bots .where the floor is in two parts already.Hubby going to weld in a couple more brace to help support the new peice of flooring. Glad to see there more people that have the same camper as us. sorry your having the same problem as us tho.

Our debate is the second brace is fine.My hubby is thinking about cutting the main two brace out to the second brace and replacing them.am worried,.... dont think thats a good idea.I think he should just tackweld a new peice on both sides to build up the steel. I hope this make since....what do you all think