Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Lakeland , Florida
Hole in subfloor under frig.

In the process of gutting my 1970 overlander. When I removed the original refriduator there is a 1x1 hole on the floor with a screen over it. When I put the new subfloor in do I need to do the same thing? Not sure if the newer frigs require this? Attached is a pic. Sorry the pic is upside down. Always does that with I-pad on here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	285533  
CraigCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:05 AM   #2
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
I'd keep it. It's there for the refrigerator venting/cooling.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:16 AM   #3
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
also...

The 1970 Overlander has a hatch door right there, doesn’t it? If you decide that you don’t need the vent, you could always cover it up through the hatch or from underneath.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Screen

It is for Refrigerator venting / air flow. And to the above comment, there was also originally a vented hatch or opening on the side above the unit.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the air flow is needed but also if there is an opening in the front of the fridge, underneath the will be venting upward of air through it. Some are sealed there. Mine has a removable panel that stays mostly open.
I had to seal the vent like yours because of a repair that involved a leak thru the fridge vent above when the thing sat in a field for 18 years. So you can imagine the floor or lack of it underneath. When I fixed it I chose to leave the vent out of the plan. Have not had a problem with the 50 year old Dometic at all.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
My trailer has a vented hatch in the wall, low near the floor, much like newer RVs have.

I have seen that older Airstreams had a plain hatch there, no lovers, and the subfloor had a vent like yours. Maybe it was for a cleaner look?

Note that even though I have that vented hatch in the side, I do have a 1" diameter screened hole in the floor. Since propane is heavier than air, if there were a gas leak some might 'pool up' below the threshold of that vented side hatch. The screened hole is a place for propane to 'fall out'.

That said, even if you converted to a vented side panel, you would want some small hole for safety.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks a bunch for the info.
CraigCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #8

1970 27' Overlander
mexico , Missouri
subfloor hole under fridge

I also am redoing a 1970 overlander and had the exact same hole. As others have mentioned it was necessary to vent the heat produced by the absorption propane fridges. I patched my hole and plan to use an ac/dc marine type fridge powered by a danfoss compressor. The fridge vents its warmed air to the front, and quite a bit less than the absorption propane fired fridge. Of course it uses more electricity.
buchab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
That hole provides combustion air for the propane burner and make up air for the hot air exhaust from the refer which vents thru the roof. That relieves the A/C of some heat gain and prevents the buildup of carbon monoxide in winter when on gas. It also serves, as someone else mentioned, an escape for any leaking LP gas when the refer is on electricity or turned off. In my '67 Overlander it is covered with hardware cloth underneath supporting some kind of tough fibrous material inside to keep pests from entering.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
While on this subject, in my cabinet over the refrig. There is a hole cut out with a cap in it. This seems to vent the fridge also. But it's weird to me to vent warm air into the cabinet.
I guess it's factory as myntrailer is prett much original. Any of you have this too?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
So, with regards to the 1x1hole under the fridge in the floor. I understand the propane leak "safety valve" , make up air and all.
I am putting new floors in my trailer now and do not want to put that hole in my floor. I plan on putting the bulkhead between the door and fridge as original, but with a vent at the bottom of the bulkhead and I plan on using floor heat/ac registers. I have the original Dometic fridge and it works like a champ. It has the removable kickplate on the front at the floor that i can remove. Will this idea work?
Thanks!
69Silvrbelle is offline   Reply With Quote