Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #1

1961 16' Bambi
Shoreline , Washington
Frame cross members

I'm the proud owner of a 1961 Bambi and plan on doing some upgrades that involves installing flush mount, recessed well pedestal leg bases in the floor and want to avoid hitting the cross members when I drill. I'm looking for information / plans on where the cross members in the frame are. I have a general idea by looking underneath at the belly pan and seeing where the pan is riveted. Would that be a reliable guide and does anyone know how wide the cross members are?

Thanks, Kelly.
Kelly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Best thing is to just remove the belly pan. Then you'll know exactly where everything is.

Besides, on a trailer that old, it would be a good idea to inspect the frame and cross members anyway. It's very easy to pull the belly pan. Just drill out the rivets and replace them later with sheet metal screws.

Best of luck,
Old 02-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly11 View Post
I'm the proud owner of a 1961 Bambi and plan on doing some upgrades that involves installing flush mount, recessed well pedestal leg bases in the floor and want to avoid hitting the cross members when I drill. I'm looking for information / plans on where the cross members in the frame are. I have a general idea by looking underneath at the belly pan and seeing where the pan is riveted. Would that be a reliable guide and does anyone know how wide the cross members are?

Thanks, Kelly.
Kelly.

Your best and only chance, is to look at the underbelly rivet locations.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

You ought to be able to find them quite easily with a conventional stud finder. Even better would be one of those older, and simple stud finders that were just based on a magnet on a bit of a pendulum that reacted to the magnetic nails in the studs. Just be wary that you may have tanks under your floor, depending on what previous owners may have installed, as well as plumbing (drainage pipes).

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think the crossmembers are 1 1/2" wide. The magnet idea should work great as the elevator bolt heads are about 1 inch wide.
I'd start with a small finger sized hole, then probe around with a coat hanger to be sure. There shouldn't be any tanks under the floor in a '61 model.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #6

1961 16' Bambi
Shoreline , Washington
Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my questions with sound advice. Even though I've owned and worked on this trailer for a number of years, this was my first time to use this forum as a resource and I'll definitely do it again.
Kelly
Kelly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Gatineau , Quebec
insulating cross members

Need your advice with this silly idea... I am doing a full off shell renovation. While the frame is being repaired, I am wondering what I will do with the holes in the frame. As I am also thinking about floor insulation, it occurred to me that perhaps if I insulated with spray foam (closed cell) the cross members through the whole, they might be less conducive to cold and heat. Any views on this. Is there any counter indications to filling the cross members with closed cell foam?
Juliec is offline   Reply With Quote