Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Do or Not? Repair floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
I once had an Argosy that had leaked around the toilet and the particle board floor had turned to mush under the carpet. I too did not want to take the whole trailer apart to fix it, so I figured out another way.

I got some epoxy glue....lots of it...a big package of it...about 8 ounces from the hobby shop. Mixed up the glue, and thinned it with alcohol (a mixture of about 2 parts glue and one part alcohol), and then poured the entire mixture on the bad floor area. The thinned glue will soak into the wood, and make it as strong as steel when it hardens. We used that trailer for several years without any issues with the floor.

Given the same situation again, I would not hesitate to use the epoxy glue.

I have found an area of wood floor under a water pipe, in the rear of my 1981 Excella II, about 2"X8" of soft plywood. Should I apply the epoxy trick, or is this small of an area not worth doing anything to it? The floor is not supporting anything in this area, but is close to the dreaded rear end sag area. The water leak has been repaired.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I have found an area of wood floor under a water pipe, in the rear of my 1981 Excella II, about 2"X8" of soft plywood. Should I apply the epoxy trick, or is this small of an area not worth doing anything to it? The floor is not supporting anything in this area, but is close to the dreaded rear end sag area. The water leak has been repaired.
You can use Rot Doctor. Mix it and pour it on the area according to the label instructions. If it's still mushy, you can put some epoxy or fiberglass resin over that. We did that to a couple of soft spots in our trailer, right by the entry door, and it firmed the spots up nicely.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are not going to replace the floor I would cut out the soft area, treat the edges with Rot Dr. and put a piece of sheet aluminum over the area and screw it down. Make the piece of metal at least 4 in. bigger on each side that it covers wood and try and get it supported and screwed to the C channel if it is close to the edge of the floor.

Soft plywood or OSB will hold moisture for ever and stink in time.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Thank you for the reply. Rot Doctor looks like the solution. First, I need to find the source of water. This is our first rain since I owned this trailer, and thought the water leak was from fresh water pipe. It rained, and now I think it is from the tail light area. Will be caulking like crazy after installing new running lights, and new led tail lights.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Rot Doctor instructions state to remove the really rotten wood and patch. The penetrating epoxy resin is applied to the surrounding area which is beginning to show signs of rot to stabilize it and prevent it from rotting further.