Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
LeisureTime's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Southern , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 11
What's a good percent off MSRP?

Hi folks, I'm looking at buying a 2009 FC 27FB, my first AS (and first trailer period). So far I have two quotes from dealers, one was 10% off list, the other 20%.

What should one expect to get percentage wise off MSRP?

What dealers have the reputation for providing the best deals?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
That beer was good. Let me see what the next one tastes like.
LeisureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureTime View Post
What dealers have the reputation for providing the best deals?
Don't overlook convenience for warranty work. I chose the 2nd closest dealer available but it was still 260 miles away. That was okay for me. But understand that not all warranty issues show up until you run it through it's paces for a year+.

Look at reputation for customer service. There are some good ones in your area -- but a hellish one two states east...

The factory probably is producing 2010 models right now. You'll find more discount if the unit is sitting on a dealer's lot unsold. A distant dealer has nothing to lose by moving a unit / taking a little profit for a bit of work over email/phone on a coach he'll never see again.
__________________

__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
At one time when business was decent, 25% or more would have been considered a good deal. With today's economy I'm not sure where you can go. Obviously if the trailer has been sitting on the lot a long time, you might be able to extract a better deal. You also have to take into account what the value of that trailer will be once you walk off the lot. We are real close to model year change over and that might have some bearing on the price you pay. It somewhat depends on the price of the new model year offerings. Dealer are sometimes paying finance charges for those vehicles in their lot. Obviously slow sales might mean that the dealer has less to play with since he's not turning the inventory as fast.

The other issue is consider the service side of the business. My dealer is not the lowest price but he makes up for that in service and the compentancy of his service staff. He also knows his customers and he will go to lengths to get you in for last minute service if you need a tight turn. Buy it somewhere else and you might not get that last minute consideration.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
I know it's not the same thing, but I heard on the radio today there is a Dodge dealer here discounting all 2009 trucks 40%. If I needed a truck, I'd buy a Dodge on a deal like that.
__________________
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Mexray's Avatar
 
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,583
I believe it's still a 'buyers market' out there...I'd be inclined to take the dealer's quote and give them a counter-offer, maybe low-ball...the worst they can say is no, and you can continue on from there...

Most every dealer I've ever dealt with, had a certain amount of 'wiggle room' to play with, and in these days of slow RV sales, most will be willing to deal to get their inventory moving again...
__________________
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureTime View Post
Hi folks, I'm looking at buying a 2009 FC 27FB, my first AS (and first trailer period). So far I have two quotes from dealers, one was 10% off list, the other 20%.

What should one expect to get percentage wise off MSRP?

What dealers have the reputation for providing the best deals?

Thanks!
Ask and ye shall be given.

I'd concur on all of the posts preceding mine. Maintenance reputation is king! Any dealer will reward his loyal customers by putting them in the front of the line. So find out where the best dealer is within a reasonable trip from you (one day) then ASK. I know you got quotes, but don't count on them being "best possible deals". Oh, and now is the time to remember that there is a small technical difference between "lying" and "negotiating" so try something like this, "I've checked your reputation with other Airstream owners and I'd really like to do business with you but frankly another dealer (unnamed) has offered me one equipped with (fill in the blanks) for (an amount equal to 27% off).

Make sure you get exactly what you want, it's a lot cheaper than adding a second fantastic fan or switching out a conventional oven for a convection microwave after the fact. Of course if you don't care which oven you have because you think it's only the place where you store aluminum foil, glad bags and paper towels... be flexible.

Paula

Oh, and most of all refrain from doing this while negotiating! In a sales course a fellow attendee and former Navy Seal said - of a prospect like that - "When you have them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow!"
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I know it's not the same thing, but I heard on the radio today there is a Dodge dealer here discounting all 2009 trucks 40%. If I needed a truck, I'd buy a Dodge on a deal like that.
They may be one of the Dodge dealers getting the axe, and they want to get rid of their inventory ASAP.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 19
% off MSRP

LeisureTime,

You mention, in your post, that you are in So. Oregon, so I'm assuming that one of your quotes was from Sutton's RV in Eugene. Last July, I purchased a 2008 Safari SE 20 from Suttons at 19% discount. Oregon does not have a sales tax so, to me, my savings were in the 24% range.
__________________
smeltersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Dollars vs Percentage

In theory the smaller ones have a smaller DOLLAR amount of profit. So again, in theory, the dealer MAY give a higher percentage off on a bigger unit.

Every sophisticated retailer will have "need to make" figures expressed both as dollars and percentages. In this economy if the dealer's bottom acceptable amount is $3000 profit and you offer him $2999 profit... will he hold out for the next interested party?

Well it ain't relativity, but it's a theory.
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
monkeypants's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 162
Images: 1
Msrp

Don't know what it's worth, but we got a 2009 cl fb for about 18 % off MSRP. So far, the dealer has been very helpful. Sometimes, I gotta wonder if the future help you get from the dealer is impacted by the negotiating at the beginning. I don't have alot of experience in negotiating RV's, but in the rest of my life I have found that if you really grind down the people you're buying from, you can't expect them to go out of their way for you when you need them down the line. Just a thought.
They told me their best offer and we wrote a check. Sometimes you just have to jump in and accept that getting what you want is more important than holding out for another $500.
__________________
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,842
I'm gathering from various posts around the Forum that 15-19% off MSRP is fairly common. I haven't seen all that many numbers, so I may be way off.

My impression is auto and truck dealers usually make their money from service, not sales. Whether the same is true of RV dealers, I don't know, but they certainly want you to come back regardless of the sales negotiations. Their best customer is probably Airstream because of all the warranty claims. Most any dealer will welcome you and your money (or Airstream's) for service regardless of where you bought it. It's likely the sales people and service people don't talk to each other that much either even if you were obnoxious in the purchase process (I am not recommending obnoxiousness, but firmness is important).

Since some dealers use service writers to get the information on what you need, you have no chance to develop a relationship with the people in the service dep't who do the work. You are anonymous at those dealers. In my experience at any kind of dealership, those that used service writers often provide the worst service. Service writers are not mechanics or they would be doing that—it pays better. I have explained things to these people who completely botched it and gave the wrong information to the service dep't. I would avoid that type dealer if you can. If you buy an Airstream, be prepared to do a lot of driving for service.

To purchase Airstreams people go all over the country looking for deals. There aren't a lot of dealers and some have terrible reputations, some very good ones. I notice some good marks for Sutton, Airstream of Arkansas and Colonial in NJ, but there are others people like. I'm sure every dealer has someone who doesn't like them too.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15
Any terrible reputations publishable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I'm gathering from various posts around the Forum that 15-19% off MSRP is fairly common. I haven't seen all that many numbers, so I may be way off.

My impression is auto and truck dealers usually make their money from service, not sales. Whether the same is true of RV dealers, I don't know, but they certainly want you to come back regardless of the sales negotiations. Their best customer is probably Airstream because of all the warranty claims. Most any dealer will welcome you and your money (or Airstream's) for service regardless of where you bought it. It's likely the sales people and service people don't talk to each other that much either even if you were obnoxious in the purchase process (I am not recommending obnoxiousness, but firmness is important).

Since some dealers use service writers to get the information on what you need, you have no chance to develop a relationship with the people in the service dep't who do the work. You are anonymous at those dealers. In my experience at any kind of dealership, those that used service writers often provide the worst service. Service writers are not mechanics or they would be doing that—it pays better. I have explained things to these people who completely botched it and gave the wrong information to the service dep't. I would avoid that type dealer if you can. If you buy an Airstream, be prepared to do a lot of driving for service.

To purchase Airstreams people go all over the country looking for deals. There aren't a lot of dealers and some have terrible reputations, some very good ones. I notice some good marks for Sutton, Airstream of Arkansas and Colonial in NJ, but there are others people like. I'm sure every dealer has someone who doesn't like them too.

Gene
Thanks, Gene. I'm going to get an Airstream for full time retirement (first year, anyway) and am just starting to learn about them. (There's much to learn, but these forums are invaluable). I live in SC but my searches seem to lead me to Florida (Bates) or Out-of_Doors Mart in NC most often. Maybe they're just the largest.
__________________

__________________
poems&songs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New F-150 - How much off MSRP? cbgenrich Tow Vehicles 28 03-03-2009 08:39 AM
Msrp $838,460 ???? SilverToy Off Topic Forum 82 04-03-2007 06:46 PM
MSRP Jump? donreitz Our Community 16 03-31-2004 05:14 PM
CB Radios - What percent of WBCCI members use them Richard Vroom Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 13 05-17-2003 10:58 AM
Airstream MSRP? rickdesign Our Community 5 02-18-2003 04:06 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.