Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I will repeat this again. I have been working at new car dealerships since 1968 and will be for the next 44 days. I'm retireing. Whether you like it or not Andy was dead on with the attitudes of some dealers. RV dealers, car dealers, motorcycle dealers Etc. need to make money [profit] and many of them will add a charge for PDI. It is just a way of makeing more money. Some customers may say "I would not like to pay full list for this unit." And the sales person says" Hey, I'll knock that $800.00 PDI charge off of the total price." And this makes some people feel that they got a good deal, but in actuallity, they really got nothing. I don't and won't pay for PDI. Some people who actually got a good price on their purchases gave most, if not, all of it back to the seller when they entered the famous Finace Office. It's reality, some people get a really good deal and some people pay full list +++. Don't blame the dealer if you don't know how to negotiate.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #44
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down Pdi

I have never worked at a new car dealership that has charged for a PDI,

44 yrs in the business, GM pays the store 1.2hrs and .3hr admin. GM Policy

Procedure manual forbids the dealership from passing this charge on to the

customer.

Why should it be any different for an rv dealership?

fwiw...I did my own pdi on the AS...live and learn!!

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Robert. I have done PDI's on Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, GMC, and Toyota's and none of the dealers I worked for charged extra for PDI's. And like you said, Ford allowed for PDI in the invoice; In other words Ford paid for it. But I have seen other dealers that did charge extra for PDI on an dealer addition window sticker.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:50 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
You are right on Mr. Cross.......
Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
I bought from Bill Thomas, just ouside of St. Louis. They treated me just like Jack describes and its ongoing. Have a problem call service and they can usually walk you right through. When you do your walk through ask for Leroy--self described as "Mr. Airstream". He gives you a card with his personal cell phone if its after hours. He said your now "one of my boys" so call me if you ever have a question. Whatever Dealer prep is, it was worth every penny.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Went to the Spokane dealer yesterday. Got an entirely different impression that from the "OTHER" AS dealer in Washington. It is the first visit with them and a very good one. They are a small dealer that ONLY handle AS products. From first impressions may I suggest that you folks in the Northwest part of the US visit them on give them a call if you are AS shopping or need parts. We will be headed that way again when the time is right.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen chosen
Just got word our 16CCD will be coming out of factory around the 30th, then shipped to dealer in B.C. I am a novice, here - this is my first trailer. What should I expect of the dealer in terms of preparation and a briefing on use? With all the QC issues lately, I plan on telling them to go to extremes. Should I expect them to install the hitch (I'm prob. buying an Equal-i-zer), or the brake controller? Should they purge and fill propane tanks? Mints on the pillows? What?
Frozen Chosen

Attached is a copy of the $495.00 Dealer Preparartion/Travel Trailer list from a dealer we did not purchase our trailer. This was a line item on the proposed contract. We purchased a hitch along with its installation from our dealer and we negoitiated the price for that service. Our propane tanks were full. Instead of mints on the pillows our dealer paid for our first year's international dues ($70.00) in the Wally Byam Caravan Club. Good luck with your Airstream, there is nothing on the road that can compare to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dealer Prep.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	47594  
Old 10-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach
Frozen Chosen

Attached is a copy of the $495.00 Dealer Preparation/Travel Trailer list from a dealer we did not purchase our trailer. This was a line item on the proposed contract. We purchased a hitch along with its installation from our dealer and we negotiated the price for that service. Our propane tanks were full. Instead of mints on the pillows our dealer paid for our first year's international dues ($70.00) in the Wally Byam Caravan Club. Good luck with your Airstream, there is nothing on the road that can compare to it.
Frozen Chosen,
Hi..I looked over your list and, to be quite honest with you..Those are all normal items that are checked when the unit arrives from the factory and completed just before the unit is picked up for delivery. Anything that deviates from normal functions is fixed by the A/S dealer and the cost is borne by the factory. Just thought you should know..
I don't know about the membership "gift" today but, it used to be the factory paid for your first year' membership as a way of introduction for all new owners to the club.
Propane tanks being filled is normal as it should be..The propane is used to burn in the furnace (helps get rid of that newness of burning smell), check the water heater and, the stove/frig operation..
I would say, your dealer is doing an excellent job of following thru with checking the unit out..It's just the way he's passing the cost on that concerns me..
All RV dealers have a PAC cost..which, depending on how he has the "business units setup" depends on who gets a charge against them during a sales..The only one who really comes out ahead is the owner..The PAC setup is what guarantees and protects his profit.
To give you an example..
Let's just say for this purpose of disclosure.
these figures are not actual nor up to-date.
Dealer orders a A/S unit.
1.unit cost 25K$ from factory+cost to ship
2.selling price MSRP: 44K
3.salesman commission is:
20% (normal) of sales.(whatever monies left over after this
3a.unit actually sold for minus the cost from factory minus PAC.
3b.minus whatever the shop charges for dealer prep work.
3c.minus any monies he's been collecting during a non sales period.
( this can be anywhere from 150$ to 400$ a week.)
3d.All salesperson selling units get a bonus check from A/S.(100$)
4.The owner always comes out ahead..
The 495$ you paid, went straight into the pocket of either the Sales Manager/Financial Manager or, the owner's pocket.
Just depends on the agreement between the principals involved.
It's just business..
What's really the shame is..We, as consumers, can't just go directly to the factory and, buy our unit/take delivery there. aha...
btw, the deluxe gift? cost 15$ or so, by the bulk and, is a nice touch..YOU PAID FOR IT..
See ya on the road..
ciao
53FC
Old 10-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Dealers are entitled to a profit, bottom line. If everyone were paying MSRP then you wouldn't get fee'd up. As soon as a negotiation starts then it's all fair game. If you don't like what the price of the unit is including fees etc then you can always walk away. If the dealer doesn't like a deal proposed by you then he can walk away. It's pretty simple but let's not slam dealers for making money. That's what they're there for, to provide a product and service and get paid for it. Heck isn't that what you go to work for and get paid for?? Alot of people get on the dealer about making money, grind them to the limit then complain down the road when he's not bending over backwards for them. Negotiate in good faith, consider the unit, the fees, the service you'll be getting etc and if it's a value to you then go for it. If not, walk away. If you think a PDI should be part of the deal then negotiate it in that's all. If the dealer knows he has buyer in front of him ready to sign now the deal should go together pretty easily. Just get it done so you can start enjoying
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Well said.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Thanx flying cloud. Maybe we'll see you in NH some time...
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Reasonable deals equal satisfaction

The 2 previous posts nail it!
Both the consumer and the business are entitled to a "reasonable" deal/profit.
Generally a few greedy consumers/businesses ruin it for the many, hence the world we live and work in.
Larry
Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Reasonable deals and reasonable profits

The 2 previous posts nail it!
Both the consumer and the business are entitled to a "reasonable" deal/profit.
Generally a few greedy consumers/businesses ruin it for the many, hence the world we live and work in.
Larry
Old 10-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen chosen
Just got word our 16CCD will be coming out of factory around the 30th, then shipped to dealer in B.C. I am a novice, here - this is my first trailer. What should I expect of the dealer in terms of preparation and a briefing on use? With all the QC issues lately, I plan on telling them to go to extremes. Should I expect them to install the hitch (I'm prob. buying an Equal-i-zer), or the brake controller? Should they purge and fill propane tanks? Mints on the pillows? What?
dealer prep is code for bend over...

kevin