Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Paper trail....

Jeff,

Just after we got our Classic the dealer closed.
JC was very helpful in allowing us to do some warranty work on our own. They sent us a new water pump, new slides tracks for the pantry, 6 latches for the cupboards, and 2 accordion shades for the windows. I tried for labor but no luck.

A letter to JC customer service to advise them of your experience would be a good idea. Good to have a paper trail.

Have fun this weekend!!!

Bob
Old 03-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Jeff,

You should post the name of this dealership.
At best it's unethical, at worst it's extortion.

I've always gone directly to J/C for work... btw-they've honored 'warranty' work well after two years

-Joe
Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
I agree with all that has been said on warranty work - all dealers should cover any warranty work needed. But on the $6,000 you are saving, you need to keep in mind that you have gotten a trailer that is two model years older. That isn't an issue if you keep the trailer a long time, but if you sell in a few years it makes the $6,000 a nonissue because your 2011 will be worth at least that much less than the 2013. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Jeff,

You should post the name of this dealership.
At best it's unethical, at worst it's extortion.

I've always gone directly to J/C for work... btw-they've honored 'warranty' work well after two years

-Joe
There is no need to post the dealers name. It is not exactly hard to figure out who the dealer is! There is something unsavory about actually naming a dealer you are in dispute with on a public forum. Rather we should all recount our really exceptional experiences! Let the bad dealers be conspicuous in their absence! I for one applaud Jeff’s restraint on this matter.
Now, get me in a private discussion? I am more than happy to share names of those who have not lived up to their billing…
Bruce
P.S. Colonial Airstream has been wonderful in their support of our trailer! They answer every question I have no matter how many times I call and I am made to feel as though it really matters that I am happy. The few parts I have identified that are defective have been sent immediately for me to put in, no questions asked, they are simply awesome!
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I think that most folks in the market to buy/trade an RV subscribe to the "short run economics" theory of operation, and thus they do not realize the benefits of a relationship with a dealer, built over time.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
I think that most folks looking to buy or trade an RV subscribe to the "short run economics" theory of operation, and thus they do not realize the benefits of a relationship with a dealer, built over time.
I understand and agree! It is what I refer to as “the nature of the business”.
That the dealer has an uphill battle here is not in question, that he seems to be missing a chance to woo a customer with service is. Think of it as a second chance, miss that opportunity and you miss everything including referrals from happy customers or even a chance at a future sale or trade with that same customer who purchased a trailer somewhere because of price. Price is important but I’ll wager that if the dealer had something extraordinary (service) to offer he might have made the sale in the first place.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #27
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyducks View Post
I agree with all that has been said on warranty work - all dealers should cover any warranty work needed. But on the $6,000 you are saving, you need to keep in mind that you have gotten a trailer that is two model years older. That isn't an issue if you keep the trailer a long time, but if you sell in a few years it makes the $6,000 a nonissue because your 2011 will be worth at least that much less than the 2013. Russ
We love the 23FB FC, It is perfect for the way we camp. I am planning on holding on to it for a very long time. I will take $6K+ today, vs "possible" trade/sale value down the road..

Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote