Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Well I went to C&G trailer service in Bellflower and am very pleased with the work so far. They got my refrig temporarily fixed while a thermostat is on order. Replaced a loose rivet, and ordered a tank monitor part. All the same day as I was headed to the beach, and at no charge, under warranty. They are an independent airstream warranty and repair service and not dealers at all.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Nice to hear they do good work, not lot's of Airstream options in Southern California...

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
New dealer in LA. jim
Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Jeff,

It's pretty clear from everyones posts that your best course of action is to follow your States Motto...."show me" in writing! that your dealership is authorized to exempt themselves from the published Factory Warranty. Something's fishy in Wally's World.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Bob,
I had a long talk with the business manager over the phone. He made it clear that we could get genuine warranty work done there. If something stops working etc, we could get it replaced repaired.
However, he made it clear that the little "adjustment" type repairs would not be covered. I guess those are out of the dealer's pocket..

He also would say outright, but indicated, we shouldn't expect to be moved to the front of the line when we bring it in.. I expected that.

Hopefully in a few years they won't remember where we got it. Ha..

I saved over $6K by getting the 2011 from the other dealer. That's too much to pay, in my opinion, just to "hopefully" get better service at my local dealer. On what is basically the exact same trailer.

We will be hoping for the best.. Spending our first weekend in it, starting tonight!

Jeff
Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Bob,
I had a long talk with the business manager over the phone. He made it clear that we could get genuine warranty work done there. If something stops working etc, we could get it replaced repaired.
However, he made it clear that the little "adjustment" type repairs would not be covered. I guess those are out of the dealer's pocket..

He also would say outright, but indicated, we shouldn't expect to be moved to the front of the line when we bring it in.. I expected that.

Hopefully in a few years they won't remember where we got it. Ha..

I saved over $6K by getting the 2011 from the other dealer. That's too much to pay, in my opinion, just to "hopefully" get better service at my local dealer. On what is basically the exact same trailer.

We will be hoping for the best.. Spending our first weekend in it, starting tonight!

Jeff
Jeff
I think that too many dealers subscribe to the "short run economics" theory of operation and thus they do not realize the benefits of a relationship built over time. Sometimes you just have to prove that you are better than the other guy and you do that by giving a little.....
Sure, as a business owner/manager your nose gets a little out of joint when someone buys from a competitor but there is so much more to the relationship than the first purchase. Service departments are a very important part of the business plan of any dealership! I'd personally avoid any company who told me that they wouldn't help me with the little things because I purchased it somewhere else. Perhaps they are so busy they don't need the work?
Bruce
Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Paper trail....

Jeff,

Just after we got our Classic the dealer closed.
JC was very helpful in allowing us to do some warranty work on our own. They sent us a new water pump, new slides tracks for the pantry, 6 latches for the cupboards, and 2 accordion shades for the windows. I tried for labor but no luck.

A letter to JC customer service to advise them of your experience would be a good idea. Good to have a paper trail.

Have fun this weekend!!!

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Jeff,

You should post the name of this dealership.
At best it's unethical, at worst it's extortion.

I've always gone directly to J/C for work... btw-they've honored 'warranty' work well after two years

-Joe
Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
I agree with all that has been said on warranty work - all dealers should cover any warranty work needed. But on the $6,000 you are saving, you need to keep in mind that you have gotten a trailer that is two model years older. That isn't an issue if you keep the trailer a long time, but if you sell in a few years it makes the $6,000 a nonissue because your 2011 will be worth at least that much less than the 2013. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Jeff,

You should post the name of this dealership.
At best it's unethical, at worst it's extortion.

I've always gone directly to J/C for work... btw-they've honored 'warranty' work well after two years

-Joe
There is no need to post the dealers name. It is not exactly hard to figure out who the dealer is! There is something unsavory about actually naming a dealer you are in dispute with on a public forum. Rather we should all recount our really exceptional experiences! Let the bad dealers be conspicuous in their absence! I for one applaud Jeff’s restraint on this matter.
Now, get me in a private discussion? I am more than happy to share names of those who have not lived up to their billing…
Bruce
P.S. Colonial Airstream has been wonderful in their support of our trailer! They answer every question I have no matter how many times I call and I am made to feel as though it really matters that I am happy. The few parts I have identified that are defective have been sent immediately for me to put in, no questions asked, they are simply awesome!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I think that most folks in the market to buy/trade an RV subscribe to the "short run economics" theory of operation, and thus they do not realize the benefits of a relationship with a dealer, built over time.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
I think that most folks looking to buy or trade an RV subscribe to the "short run economics" theory of operation, and thus they do not realize the benefits of a relationship with a dealer, built over time.
I understand and agree! It is what I refer to as “the nature of the business”.
That the dealer has an uphill battle here is not in question, that he seems to be missing a chance to woo a customer with service is. Think of it as a second chance, miss that opportunity and you miss everything including referrals from happy customers or even a chance at a future sale or trade with that same customer who purchased a trailer somewhere because of price. Price is important but I’ll wager that if the dealer had something extraordinary (service) to offer he might have made the sale in the first place.
Bruce
Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyducks View Post
I agree with all that has been said on warranty work - all dealers should cover any warranty work needed. But on the $6,000 you are saving, you need to keep in mind that you have gotten a trailer that is two model years older. That isn't an issue if you keep the trailer a long time, but if you sell in a few years it makes the $6,000 a nonissue because your 2011 will be worth at least that much less than the 2013. Russ
We love the 23FB FC, It is perfect for the way we camp. I am planning on holding on to it for a very long time. I will take $6K+ today, vs "possible" trade/sale value down the road..

Jeff