Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2015, 11:27 PM   #1

Union , Washington
Newbie with coaching request

This weekend, we're checking out this CL Airstream:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/5132889896.html

My spouse is an experienced builder, including tearing down two new small Airstreams for a commercial client trade show, and rebuilding them back to specs after the show. So some knowledge of what a solid Airstream is. However, this is the very first one we're looking at as we contemplate a purchase.

What questions should we ask the seller? What specific inspections should we do to ferret out problems? What would you be sure to look for & ask?

Thanks so much! My grandparents took an Airstream over the unpaved Al-Can highway in 1947, and back down in 1972. I have very fond memories of their wonderful home.
RLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Newbie with coaching request

1969 AIRSTREAM 25`TRADE WIND - $12500 (SEATTLE)

There are buyers guides available on the forum, you may need to search from outside the forum to find them.

Personal opinion, at $12,500 in addition to the new tires, it should have newer axles; and hopefully the water heater (gas/110VAC preferred) and fridge (gas/12VDC/110VAC preferred) are newer. It should be hooked up so everything can be checked.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Look on the Portal tab and find the Buyer's Inspection Checklist. This will walk you through practically everything you would want to check. There is also a utility to help you hook up with volunteer inspectors in the area.

Questions to ask would be along the lines of what has been done to repair/rennovate the trailer? For example:

Has any floor or frame repair been done?
Has the trailer had grey tanks retrofit to it (they didn't build them with grey tanks in this year)?
Have any of the appliances/air conditioner been replaced (40 year old working appliances may not work much longer)?
Have the axles been replaced?

I don't see how the seller can call the trailer in "excellent" condition with that massive dent in the rear corner. Those dents won't just "pop out," either. If you wanted to have it fixed, it will cost you somewhere in the vicinity of $4000. I also don't like the seller's cavalier tone that the dents are just "cosmetic." Heck the whole trailer is just cosmetic, if we didn't care what they looked like, we would all be pulling white boxes.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

If you got the owner to repair the two panel 'cosmetic damage', (plus at least one partial rib), install two new axles, grey tank, and demonstrate that ALL systems work as designed, with no leaks...... it may still be a bit overpriced.

My advise......

Back away slowly and re-consider all your options.

It may be time to attend a Rally in your area.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #5

Union , Washington
Rally?? OOO! Yes please!

Ok, the Rally sounds awesome - please tell me more! And thanks for the great tips & pointing me towards the Buyer's Inspection Checklist.

My need is that my spouse & I live in Seattle - but I work in a rural community three counties away - and have been living out of a suitcase for three months, pad crashing here & there, commuting home on weekends, and that's getting old.

I am in need of a fixed abode, and one that I'll love as well as being affordable (I work in the non-profit sector). There is a place with hookups close to work, and in the long run, we are scoping out a small piece of land to have a summer/retirement place, and this would be the beginning.

This community is a wonderful place to have found! I so appreciate y'all.
RLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLane View Post
Ok, the Rally sounds awesome - please tell me more! And thanks for the great tips & pointing me towards the Buyer's Inspection Checklist.

My need is that my spouse & I live in Seattle - but I work in a rural community three counties away - and have been living out of a suitcase for three months, pad crashing here & there, commuting home on weekends, and that's getting old.

I am in need of a fixed abode, and one that I'll love as well as being affordable (I work in the non-profit sector). There is a place with hookups close to work, and in the long run, we are scoping out a small piece of land to have a summer/retirement place, and this would be the beginning.

This community is a wonderful place to have found! I so appreciate y'all.

RLane,

Go to the top left side of your desktop click on Rallies.....(Under the line of Airstreams)

Here'e an example in your part of the Country........

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Silt , Colorado
I'm looking for someone willing to teach me about my airstream. I will pay for you to let me help you restore one so that I know my own unit. I really want to live off grid most of the time but I have to know how to fix my unit myself and don't know how to learn. Would you be willing to take on an apprentice? I am a 57 yr old, very strong, very determined woman.
Thanks!
Presteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Herz,

You sound very capable, energetic and willing, sounds like a great combo.

You live in an area with some very skilled Airstream owners. You might start another thread in the new member introduction area that days something like....

"Vintage Colorado Airstream owner needs advice"

" Colorado Lady wants to reno her 74 Twind'

That gives folks an idea of of where you are and what you are asking for. Many folks glance at new posts quickly and need to be interested in your subject.

There are also lots of gatherings in Colorado where you can partake and learn who recommends what trades in your area.

A good call might be to Luke Bernander at Luke's Maintenance and Repair company in Ft Collins.

Happy Travels

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote