Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG911
My only hesitation in buying a vintage 'handyman' special is that we want to do some camping - yesterday. My wife (nor I) would not be impressed with some fixer upper sitting in the driveway all summer as I try to remodel it.
i can relate to your concern. i've had two houses under construction since feb. and haven't had a chance to work on my flying cloud much. i'm dying to take my wife and 11 month old camping right now, BUT it'll be atleast a few months before that'll happen.

your wife wouldn't like this either then,

Click image for larger version

Name:	air1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	41048

i bought it last october, here's a couple of threads on it;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f411...oud-27533.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f411...ect-27719.html

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:06 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
I can't remember which one of you brought my attention to the Spokane Craiglist AS for sale - thanks. I talked with the owner at great length this a.m. and he informed me that there were several creases on the front and rear corners, also a fist sized hole at the front somewhere. Apparently, all this needed was some "caulk, body putty, duct tape, silver spray paint and a hammer". Ofcourse, caulk and duct tape fix everything! Oh ya, then there was a seam coming apart and missing rivets....anyway, perhaps I caught the gentleman a little early in the morning but some things didn't make sense. Unfortunately there were also no photos and at one point I was the bad guy for even suggesting that photos be emailed at the price of $13K.

The look continues however I did put a (low) offer in on a 1999 25' Safari in Toronto but waiting to hear back. It's at a "RepoDepo" which I've never dealt with but the photos show the trailer in near mint condition. $250 airfare one way to Toronto, rent a truck, tow it home...might be worth it.
Mike
MG911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi UF, I'll have to get my feet wet on a late model AS and see how I make out. The guy in Spokane told me all I need is caulk and duct tape to fix these things (yikes!) so maybe I will buy an old beater sometime soon...and guess where I'll be sleeping.

We take possession of our "new" house on Aug. 3 so our available camping window is getting smaller everyday. I'll be covered in caulk and duct tape after that.

Mike
Old 07-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
The look continues however I did put a (low) offer in on a 1999 25' Safari in Toronto but waiting to hear back. It's at a "RepoDepo" which I've never dealt with but the photos show the trailer in near mint condition. $250 airfare one way to Toronto, rent a truck, tow it home...might be worth it.
Mike
Make sure you check the repodepo out with BBB. Per our PM, as on the forum, probably start a new thread, asking if anyone is in this area that will do an inspection for you. Mind you, if the price is right and you think it's the right one if it is what they say it is, buy the ticket, get there, if it is what they say, rent the truck to haul it home. If not, a cheap return flight home has saved you a ton of angst. My past experience with the repo lots with cars at least is they have been very willing to send me as many photos as I want as long as I tell them what it is to take pictures of.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
You asked...

Quote:
'06 F150 V8 with 7200lb. towing package - from everything I've read, I should be well within the towing capacity in a 25' or 28' AS. Correct me if I'm wrong...Mike
Mike-

I think your truck might be OK for Safari 25 used model, but it would be a push.. Your truck is not adequate for a 28' Airstream... Feel free to search the many threads on "tow vehicles" and "towing capacity" and make your own judgments...

Reasoning in brief:

Manufacturer "Towing Capacity" is for empty truck, excluding passengers, luggage, fuel and hitch assembly.. "Empty Weight" for trailer excludes propane, fluid in tanks, clothing, dishes, utensils, food, air conditioner and awning, and maybe a TV... These can add up to a lot of extra pounds or kilo's, and put you over weight on the Ford.

Sadly, trailer and truck sales persons are compensated often for being optimistic about towing abilities, and rarely volunteer negative messages... That said, we pull a ~6,600# 25' trailer behind a Ford Excursion, rated at 7200# as well, which is not much margin. The Excursion is built on 3/4 ton chassis, and brakes and suspension are pretty tough.. Towing capacity in our case limited by Triton 5.4L V8 engine power, and we can live with that..

As for overall size, 25 is pretty good compromise for smaller family, as it is relatively easier to store, tow and manuever in tight spaces... The downside is that Airstreams treat owning couple well (whether in queen or twin beds) and others (children, guess, infants..) must make do with folding couches or converting dinettes. There are threads on Queen v. Twin bed discussions - feel free to search and review...

As for sources of late model used, there are 4:

1. Classifieds here
2. rvtraderonline.com
3. craigslist.com (choose geographies)
4. airstream.net (Vintage Airstream Site..)

I personally wouldn't look earlier than 1990, unless you really want to do some fixing-upping before use. Do be aware that Airstreams got 6 or 7" wider in 1995, and heavier as well... Good luck in your quest..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi Condo,

Thanks for your concern and I have to agree with you. I didn't want to be the new guy who asks all the questions that could've been answered with a simple search query but by the end of last night I was more confused than not. I did Google searches for GCWR, towing info, etc, had several spread sheets open at one point and 4 or 5 AS forum windows open on this topic and still had a hard time figuring it all out.

I've been tracking prices online through ebay, craigslist, RVtrader.com, etc and I think I have found an exceptional trailer in the Toronto area. The exact same trailer is on Ebay right now with a reputable New Jersey AS dealer and was told by a salesman they are asking $21K for this '99 Safari on their lot. It has a couple dings, stains on the interior, and other small issues. The Toronto version has none of those issues from what I can see.

If I can get it for the price I'm hoping, we can afford to try it out for a season or two and either keep it, upgrade or sell it for what we paid for it. I'm the new guy so what do I know??!! I'm just dying to get out there and the 6 sleeper is more what we've been looking for. Wish me luck, and before I move up to a 28' AS, I'll rethink my TV.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and concerns.

Mike
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi Szy, thanks for the feedback. Syrup all over keyboard as we speak.

I've been looking at the NJ dealership (I really shouldn't be lookng at new) and a few of the others online. Do you find you have any limitations with the 28' trailer? I assumed 25' would be compact enough for easy towing and backing yet roomy enough. I know none of the bed sizes in the 25' seem very large however.

Anybody else having thoughts on 25' vs. 28' please share your thoughts!
Hi, My two cents worth! With your tow vehicle a 28'er is too big and too heavy. You stated that your tow vehicle is rated at 7,200 lbs. My Safari 25-B [rear queen] is rated at 6,300 lbs. Many other 25'ers are rated at 7,300 lbs. [too heavy] My personal opinion is, that if you plan on having more than four people, get a six sleeper [25 SS] But you will have to put up with a corner bed next to the bathroom. [cramped] If you find a good twin, convert it to a queen; I was going to do that myself if I couldn't find a rear queen. Even at that, 6,300 lbs is a bit too much for your tow vehicle. My tow vehicle is rated at 8,900 lbs and I wouldn't want to tow a heavier trailer with it. Basically you need a bigger tow vehicle or a smaller trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

Even if you want to go camping yesterday... I suggest you really give deep thought into what configuration you and your family will be happy with. Just remember, kids are very portable and adaptable, concentrate on Mom and Dad's needs. The kids needs will change yearly.

I would also suggest strongly you think about what kind of camping you want to do. Many state and/or national parks limit the size to 25 feet so a bigger trailer may not work, or you will possibly severely limit the spaces that can accommodate you.

There is a old thread, but a good one on considerations for buying an airstream you might want to read through.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

You might be surprised on how little room you will actually need. We go camping to get outdoors and usually aren't in the trailer unless the weather is crummy... it will all depend on your lifestyle!

Have fun, and keep looking. The suggestions on going to a rally is an excellent one. Check out the rally schedule and even if you have to drive a bit, it may be well worth it! Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Los Alamitos , California
We just bought a 25 Safari

My wife and I bought 25' Safari and we got the twin beds. At first we turned our nose up at the twin as Ozzy and Harriett but the more we thought about it, it made sense with getting in and out of bed in the night and making up the beds etc. Besides we already have 3 kids .The beds are a bit skinny but very long about 6'8" I'm guessing. I have never owned an RV before and was intmitdated by the 25' size but after about 4 weeks of driving and practicing I am very impressed how easy it is to handle. The twin has one nice thing it makes it seem much longer since it's all open, the bed does not cut off the trailer. BTW my friend bought a Nomad about the same time and he has nothing but problems. His latest is the black tank doesn't drain and it took 2 months to get it serviced since they service dept is backed up. Stick with any Airstream anyday of the week.
best of luck
GaryBrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Just remember, kids are very portable and adaptable, concentrate on Mom and Dad's needs. The kids needs will change yearly.
lots of good advice in what caddy green said. also, remember the kids can sleep in a tent and maybe they would prefer that as they get a little older.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Mike

Did you find someone willing/able to take a look at that Toronto area trailer on your behalf? Let us know how you make out with it.

This one is a bit older but from the few pics and the description it certainly sounds decent
1993 Airstream 25 ft Excella

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
If you would like to see some of the older AS layouts check the classifieds on this site.

http://www.airforums.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=16

If you would like another source check out eBay.

eBay - airstream, Parts Accessories, Transportation items on eBay.com

Buying an older model year WILL save you BIG BUCKS. Most any used AS 10 years or newer should be in great shape and not need any repair work. Just like my Saab, AS is solid like a rock. This is what drew me to the brand
in the first place. That and they are both born from the Aircraft industry.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #33
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
'06 F150 V8 with 7200lb. towing package - from everything I've read, I should be well within the towing capacity in a 25' or 28' AS. Correct me if I'm wrong...Mike
I tow a 23' with a '05 F-150 and would be comfortable stepping up to a 25' trailer. I wouldnt want to go bigger than that though. The truck has plenty of power certainly but it it my opinion that a 1/2 ton truck is too small for the 28'+ sizes of trailers.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:35 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hello everyone...well the Toronto deal fell through - they sold it before I was able to have the deposit couriered. Unfortunately I can't seem to delete that thread?!

I had a look at the 25' Excella but I'm not really keen on the twin bed lay out and I thought the $$ was a bit aggressive, condidering I could've taken the 1999 Toronto Safari for around $20K. Long distance purchases are challenging to say the least.

I'm still actively searching and check only daily. I finally had a good look at the 22' Safari Sport - very nice!

The thought of driving 3-4 days to pick up a late model in the US/Eastern Canada is a bit daunting but so are the new trailer prices....hmmm..what to do.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:39 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi Tinboy, glad to hear you are enjoying your adventures in you Safari and I noticed you said you are enjoying the twin bed layout. From what I've seen for floor plans, does this also mean you do not have a dinette? What are your thoughts on that?
Mike
Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Well, if you didn't see it in my other thread, I will be driving 2 days to beautful Holland, Mi. on Sunday to pick up the newest member of my family. Her name is "Safari SE LS" and she's born in 2005 and is a whopping 28' long! She is absolutely beautiful and comes from a wonferful family.

I researched my F150 TV a bit further, and being a bone headed rookie, I thought the 7200 lb. "package" was my towing capacity somehow. Anyway, it turns out that is my truck's GVWR and with a curb weight of aprox. 4500lbs, I have lots of room for fluids, passengers, options etc, in just the truck alone (2700lbs!). The GCVR is 13,500 lbs (trailer, truck, passengers, fluids, options, gear, etc). So, according to Ford, I should be well within my weight limits for my Safari and F150 combo.

The people I am buying from are towing with a 2004 Expedition 5.4L V8 and have NO problems what so ever. Once I saw their photos and TV, I started to investigate my truck's capabilities a bit further.

Wish me luck getting home....Mike
Old 07-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Hre's your "Good Luck" wish...

Congratulations on finding a solid late model 28' Safari, and I hope trip to MI goes well, and there are no surprises, disapppointments or other outbursts of negativity...

The research on towing capacity is a good exercise, and hopefully all will be OK.. At least MI and SK are pretty flat...

Despite all the discourse and discussion about aedquate or inadequate tow vehicles here on the Forums, some members discover for themselves whether they are OK or not, and I suspect that will be your outcome over time.. Jackrabbit starts and uphill passing won't work for you, but you should be OK on most level terrain. If the truck is overmatched at some point by the trailer, you'll know it before we will...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi Condo...I'm not a 'hitch' expert but this unit comes with a Reese hitch and anti-sway bars. From my limited knowledge on hitches, this should help take some of the stress off the rear axle.

Fortunately my father as offered to come along for the ride and between the two of us and the bald, flat prairies we should be able to manage quite well.

Mike
Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #39
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Arrow 28 feet is more than enough for us...

We had the same quandry. There was a used 25FB with with twin beds. It was a great layout but we couldnt handle being Laura and Rob Petri. Check out the Dick Van Dyke Show if you dont know who they are

We ended up with the 28 footer for the bed, actually to be able to stand on each side of the bed and its great. For us, we actually need less room than we thought but we got real lucky on a used consignment Intl'. We love it.

I would suggest laying down on the bed, dont be shy, take a nap side by side... Or at least lay there for a few mintues a few times. It really helped us.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Post Falls , Idaho
Hello, I am brand new to this forum...and have also been searching through Craig's List, Ebay and am thankful to have found this group. I'll post more on my questions soon, but wanted to tell you, Mike, that my husband drove up to Rathdrum, ID to look at the 1/2 price Airstream on the Spokane Craig's List. He was so excited when he walked up...looked like new. The inside smelled new, but although he is very good at restoring things, he said "no way". It must have fallen on it's side, the side is crushed in over a foot on one end and it looking at it from the front or back it looks "tweaked". I was very sad when he called...we were ready to jump on it! Happy searching, Bambo
bambo is offline   Reply With Quote