Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Boulder , Colorado
How to use a NADA Guide

Real basic question here:

When trying to figure the "Average Retail" value of an AS trailer using the online NADA guides, the NADA page lists many features (some that are standard options on the trailer and some that are not). You are able to select features like appliances, A/C and heating choices, microwave, LCD TV, etc.

Are you suppose to select *just* the non-standard features or are you suppose to select *everything* that is installed on the trailer?

For example, a furnace comes standard on the trailer that I am trying to price, but the NADA guide lists several furnace options to choose from. Do I select the furnace option that is installed on the trailer or not? Ditto for the electric hitch, water heater, etc.

Thanks.

Tim
bocotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
From my experience the NADA book value is much too low on vintage units.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
You total up everything listed in NADA that's on your trailer, for that specific model. and Lumatic is right, it's always too low.
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
I looked further and found this on the help/faq page on the NADA site :

"Q. Do I check off everything that is on my RV in the Optional Equipment portion of your website?

A. No. Only add optional equipment if not considered standard (unless otherwise noted)."

This seems to indicate that you only select the optional equipment and not everything that is on your trailer.

Tim
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Is the NADA Guide Accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
You total up everything listed in NADA that's on your trailer, for that specific model. and Lumatic is right, it's always too low.
Not that I disagree, but one would assume that a publication like the NADA guide would be gathering their information from reliable sources, and that the information they publish is accurate. Afterall, this is a source of information used by dealers and consumers from all over the country. Also, NADAguides.com has been around since 2000 and the traditional blue and yellow appraisal guidebooks have been around for much longer than that.

You and Lumatic assert that the NADA guide is "always too low". What do you base that statement on?

Again, I don't necessarily disagree, but I am just trying to understand how to use the NADA Guide in the best way possible, and if it's not accurate, then that is, of course, important to consider when buying/selling a trailer.

Thanks.

Tim
Old 04-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocotim View Post
You and Lumatic assert that the NADA guide is "always too low". What do you base that statement on?
Tim
Please note that I did not say "always too low" I said low for vintage Airstreams. NADA might be fine for late model units, I don't know. As an example a couple of years ago I took my 71 Tradewind in to Holiday RV in Albuquerque because Progressive Insurance said I needed a written statement of value from an Airstream Dealer. Holiday took out the NADA. First they said NADA only went back to 75 and a 75 is only worth $2500, so they said my 71 would be worth at the most $1500. I have seen other vintage units similarly undervalued. I might add the NADA book value does not stop some dealers from asking top value.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
I think NADA is low for newer units also. I found in attempting to negotiate prices when trading in our 2005 Bambi that all the dealers used NADA to "low ball" me. After trade in, I found our old unit listed almost $9000 higher on a dealer web site. No hard feelings; that's how they stay in business, but it sure was eye opening.
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
NADA figures depreciation based on average useful life. Airstreams last and hold their value longer than most other brands, hence the skewed figures. IIRC, NADA uses a 20% per year depreciation in most cases.