Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Depends what your goals are and where you travel.

I used to live in Atlanta. It gets just as hot here in Minnesota but for fewer days each year.

In hot humid weather you will not be able to keep the trailer cool during the day with 1 A/C especially if you have kids (door opens more often)

If all you really want is to cool the trailer at night so people can sleep then maybe it will work out

1 A/C works out OK in western states where it is less humid and in smaller trailers used by couples/singles without kids
yes, one nearly 3 year old, one almost 6 month old...

In talking with my wife, getting cool mid day is a must...even in the worst of summer....we love going to the beach...kids need to nap...wife needs to nap too

Also we plan on possibly in 5 years buying a basic lake property and escaping the heat will be a possible need.

I am going to go ahead for now and assume ill need 2

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post
Get the extra AC. You're spending too much to get exactly what you want to forego the most important functional add-on.

If you don't, every summer trip will be dependent on getting a shady spot and you'll constantly be worried about it.

If you need a little extra push, run the conversation you will be having with your wife through your head when it's too hot in your beautiful new AS .
X2 . Lcurrie hit the nail on the head. If the finance is going to be same in December as is today, I will ask the dealer to add 2nd AC at a discount and warrantee it. If dealer agrees, I will sign the contract assuming the AC is the only thing missing out of your wish list. 2nd AC as special order on 28 footer cost about 30-50% more on the total invoice. Just my 2cents.
Just a side note: 2 ACs requires mid size generator whenever most campground are full due to power overload and age of their electrical system. Most people think that their AC is not functioning well but never checked the electrical draw at their CG. My apology for the highjack .

Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I negotiated the same deal when I bought my 2001 Safari new. I could have taken one off the lot for the same price but I wanted a spare tire carrier that wasn't present in the one on the lot. Negotiating at the end of the season or after the season is over is probably the best deal since most dealers in winter climates won't sell much. I bought my Classic the week before Thanksgiving.

Awnings are good. The more they cover the better you handle heat load. If you get a new trailer and you are only going to get one A/C unit, opt for the 15K. I've got one on my Classic and never regretted that choice. The 13.5 K units shouldn't be used on anything larger that 25' and dependent on the climate you camp in, that might be marginal. I'm glad I only have one A/C unit because I'd miss having that Fantastic Fan in the bedroom. It's a variable speed model and it's nice when it senses the cooler night air and slows its run speed down to almost nothing. In 9 years of owning the Classic I've not been in any situation where I felt the 15K unit wasn't up to the task. I also make sure to deploy all the awnings too!

The bad side of winter delivery is the fact that the trailer might be towed down from the factory in snow or icy conditions thus incurring a bath of salt or chemicals. If you can't get a delivery on an order by Thanksgiving, you might look harder for what you want at the various dealerships. Ask the dealer when the trailer was built, that might give you some idea of what time of the year it was towed to the dealership.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
"The bad side of winter delivery is the fact that the trailer might be towed down from the factory in snow or icy conditions thus incurring a bath of salt or chemicals. If you can't get a delivery on an order by Thanksgiving, you might look harder for what you want at the various dealerships. Ask the dealer when the trailer was built, that might give you some idea of what time of the year it was towed to the dealership.

Jack"

Absolutely, a corroded Airstream from the get-go is not what you want. Next spring delivery would be good for you overall, reading your posts. These things are hideously expensive and do not hold value, proceed with sure feet.

doug k
Old 06-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am seriously considering spring delivery...

Have been running the numbers an some logistics and other considerations...

I may indeed consider buying in november if there is a nice one on the lot at a good price that was delivered not in winter....good point.

Plus, I am not entirely sure that there is a high likelihood that we will have a trip mapped out for say december through march....so buying for delivery at that point arguably may not be necessary (although, if we did buy it, we would find a place to camp and have a blast I am sure).

have been somewhat tempted by the 30' bunkhouse model, but I am not yet convinced that the added length, weight, cost, and loss of a nicer couch area for seating will be in our best interest.....

I will consider this unit in july if it is still there...there is no way I could pick it up in june so that is moot.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
side bar question...if one ends up buying at x dealer, but ends up getting warranty service at y dealer...is that a problem.

Ideally, when the time comes, I will have 3 dealers bid for my purchase and take the lowest bidder or closes if a tie. In that case, it may not be that where I buy would be best for proximity and repairs.....sorry, this is a slight tangent...

Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Where you go for service should not be a problem. If the trailer you want is sold before you pull the trigger just remember they made more than one. If you can't find one on a lot at that time you can order one. My buddy bought his trailer first, and then bought his tow vehicle. He Had the dealership deliver the trailer to a campground.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We had warranty work done by a dealer other than the one we bought from. It was no problem at all.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
side bar question...if one ends up buying at x dealer, but ends up getting warranty service at y dealer...is that a problem.

Ideally, when the time comes, I will have 3 dealers bid for my purchase and take the lowest bidder or closes if a tie. In that case, it may not be that where I buy would be best for proximity and repairs.....sorry, this is a slight tangent...
I could have saved $300 by purchasing from a dealer in Ohio. I bought locally though. In my case my dealer will give me special consideration for service if I have a last minute problem. If I had bought somewhere else that last minute request to bring the trailer in would have had to wait for an opening in his schedule.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yeah, well, for 300 bucks, I would not much care....but for 1K or 1.5k or 2K? different story I suppose!

Man, I like that trailer they have....if after going to colonial and and browsing and finally deciding 28 vs. 30 (and perhaps some consideration of something smaller)..then will see if that one is still on the lot and think about it a bit more.

I suspect that if the price is right, I will give serious consideration....if the price is not what I want, then I wait cause its not the best financial timing in July rather than say november...but if the deal is good, that would be worth striking iron while hot.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
perhaps they can get creative with financing as well and delay payments for a couple months....

i hear from folks on here now too that special orders are now limited to stock factory only stuff...so this one on the lot looks better and better every day ....but I will still need a good deal...otherwise I wait.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Who knows? That trailer may still be there. Mine sat on the lot for 3-4 months. I don't know that anyone else was trying to buy it. The one like it at Foley with the brown ultra leather and solar panel was still there after I bought mine. I was still getting sales calls from Foley after I bought my trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have a 31 foot trailer and I just put in a 15k AC unit and it does fine with just one AC. I am sure there are places I could go in the summer that would over tax it but I really try to avoid hot places in the summer. We tend to go to the mountains in the summer and the beach in the fall. You are going to have to have 50A to run both of them. Do the new trailers come with 50A electrical systems? Having shades and curtins with help alot with the heat and awnings all around. It is amazing how much heat can come in through a single sun facing window. Most state parks in the east have shade to hide under. We went camping here in Huntsville this weekend at Monte Sano State park and the weather was great. Almost did not need the AC. Getting the humidity down is alot of the issue around here in the summer.

Perry
Old 06-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Perry...now that I have researched this topic much more....I feel comfortable in testing the waters of having one 15K unit (standard on 28' now per as website)....if it does not work out I can have a second added if our needs dictate this as such.

My wife enjoys the beach in the heat of summer...as do I...so it is a concern...but time will tell...Ill learn by experience.

At first I was concerned that waiting for the 2nd AC unit would cost me...but now I find that it will not.

Furthermore...I read on this forum that JC is not taking special requests for new builds, so that option is no longer an option (assuming that information was accurate)...

I recall when I went camping down in the gulf back as a teen, the RV parking were mostly around alot of trees and stuff...so shade was mostly plentiful...the awnings all the way around will be something I will want though.

Thanks Perry....as you have camped in huntsville, then I feel more confident that perhaps I can get away with one AC unit...and perhaps I can get a bit creative and make one work for say june or july beach trip....but I will not be really surprised if one will not do the job for some of the worst summer heat....

I will see how it evolves and react to my actual needs....thanks everyone.