Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Can I expect this AS to pop up in oct-dec?

there is a 28' flying cloud 2013 5 hours drive from my house at a dealer...here is my question:

The wife seems to so far really like the 28' flying cloud...I do to...

Will want 2 ac units....and awnings all the way around

Wife demands the dark leather or leather like interior on cushions etc due to us having small children, and she just likes the look of that interior better.

Buying on lot vs. special order saves some money...

This AS I mention has all of these features...its the only one as such on a lot I could find at any dealer listed on AS website in many states, including all the way up to colonial AS.

Most of these on lots have a single AC unit, and front awning only.

My question is this:

I would ideally rather wait till october to buy...or even december...but how often would such pop up as such?

Otherwise, I can special order and may get it by xmas....but then it will cost a bit more (maybe quite a bit more, maybe 5% more) as I understand in reading about this.

I do not care to be hasty, but I also do not want to miss opportunities that present themselves that are beneficial.

Thoughts? Perhaps this same one will pop up again somewhere later this year? Perhaps I should just wait....perhaps I should not just wait

Also, for such purchases, since I cannot find the apples to apples comparision at other dealers, it could make the negotiating a bit challenging? How much price difference in this unit with these additions should I expect as compared to more standard 28' flying cloud with single AC, no additional awnings?

Ideally I would be able to bounce offers to a few dealers...I guess I could make like I am going to put offers on a few and see how it fairs...seems like for this 2 ac unit model, I may never be in a great buyers position to strongly play 3-4 dealers against each other for lowest deal?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Just a thought: It may be that you will not easily find a rig on a lot (or privately) with everything you want ... You may find the right size and layout with the right interior package, etc, or maybe even dual ACs.... You may need to be prepared to add an item or two...like street-side and rear awnings for instance...(Easy, and done all the time...we had them added to our rig after the buy)... A 2nd AC is more involved, of course, because it involves electrical changes, etc ...but it can be done. And maybe you can work these addition/changes into a sales deal. You may have to wait a long time to find a rig with all the amenities you want if you do not order it that way...there may be some trade-offs you might be willing to make.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
I have a 30' and only once in a while do I wish I had two airs. I would try with one and you can alway add another.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Don't wait. Go buy that new shiny silver trailer!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Check out the Flying Cloud 30' bunkhouse for the kids.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Orders from dealers have currently filled the factory's production schedule until December. While there are a few slots held open for special orders, what has been ordered for stock is already on the books. You can call dealers, maybe they will tell you if they have one on order.
If they don't, you'd better grab the one you found, especially if it is exactly what you want. My experience has been the one you found will get sold, leaving you "out".
Old 06-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
good points...will discuss with my wife today, but the likelihood is that we will cool the jets and wait...

Most of what info I can glean makes a strong argument for 2 ac units...but then again, there are a couple people ive heard say that one ac unit in even the worst of heat worked fine...but they are a significant minority...most of the folks I have talked to down here in the hot and humid south say ill def need 2 units...

but perhaps a step wise approach is more prudent indeed.

we will wait I think and keep looking

m.hony, you are a bad influence
We will be considering the bunkhouse model...I have a feeling that the compromise of giving up a couch, adding length, weight, and cost will sway us perhaps to stick with 28...we shall see....going to look much more seriously come July and finally decide on exact length/model

Old 06-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
and then comes overlander63, lol

Will be talking to the wife today....

Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
good points...will discuss with my wife today, but the likelihood is that we will cool the jets and wait...

Most of what info I can glean makes a strong argument for 2 ac units...but then again, there are a couple people ive heard say that one ac unit in even the worst of heat worked fine...but they are a significant minority...most of the folks I have talked to down here in the hot and humid south say ill def need 2 units...
Depends what your goals are and where you travel.

I used to live in Atlanta. It gets just as hot here in Minnesota but for fewer days each year.

In hot humid weather you will not be able to keep the trailer cool during the day with 1 A/C especially if you have kids (door opens more often)

If all you really want is to cool the trailer at night so people can sleep then maybe it will work out

1 A/C works out OK in western states where it is less humid and in smaller trailers used by couples/singles without kids
Old 06-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
and then comes overlander63, lol

Will be talking to the wife today....
And I remember seeing a 30BH on the lot for sale--with 2 a/c units...
With ultraleather interior...
Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Order it. Get exactly what you want and put any dealers you want into the bidding.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
You found your Dreamstream go buy it.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Get the extra AC. You're spending too much to get exactly what you want to forego the most important functional add-on.

If you don't, every summer trip will be dependent on getting a shady spot and you'll constantly be worried about it.

If you need a little extra push, run the conversation you will be having with your wife through your head when it's too hot in your beautiful new AS .
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Buy what you want you will have it a long time. If you don't you will wish you had.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Depends what your goals are and where you travel.

I used to live in Atlanta. It gets just as hot here in Minnesota but for fewer days each year.

In hot humid weather you will not be able to keep the trailer cool during the day with 1 A/C especially if you have kids (door opens more often)

If all you really want is to cool the trailer at night so people can sleep then maybe it will work out

1 A/C works out OK in western states where it is less humid and in smaller trailers used by couples/singles without kids
yes, one nearly 3 year old, one almost 6 month old...

In talking with my wife, getting cool mid day is a must...even in the worst of summer....we love going to the beach...kids need to nap...wife needs to nap too

Also we plan on possibly in 5 years buying a basic lake property and escaping the heat will be a possible need.

I am going to go ahead for now and assume ill need 2

Old 06-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post
Get the extra AC. You're spending too much to get exactly what you want to forego the most important functional add-on.

If you don't, every summer trip will be dependent on getting a shady spot and you'll constantly be worried about it.

If you need a little extra push, run the conversation you will be having with your wife through your head when it's too hot in your beautiful new AS .
X2 . Lcurrie hit the nail on the head. If the finance is going to be same in December as is today, I will ask the dealer to add 2nd AC at a discount and warrantee it. If dealer agrees, I will sign the contract assuming the AC is the only thing missing out of your wish list. 2nd AC as special order on 28 footer cost about 30-50% more on the total invoice. Just my 2cents.
Just a side note: 2 ACs requires mid size generator whenever most campground are full due to power overload and age of their electrical system. Most people think that their AC is not functioning well but never checked the electrical draw at their CG. My apology for the highjack .
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I negotiated the same deal when I bought my 2001 Safari new. I could have taken one off the lot for the same price but I wanted a spare tire carrier that wasn't present in the one on the lot. Negotiating at the end of the season or after the season is over is probably the best deal since most dealers in winter climates won't sell much. I bought my Classic the week before Thanksgiving.

Awnings are good. The more they cover the better you handle heat load. If you get a new trailer and you are only going to get one A/C unit, opt for the 15K. I've got one on my Classic and never regretted that choice. The 13.5 K units shouldn't be used on anything larger that 25' and dependent on the climate you camp in, that might be marginal. I'm glad I only have one A/C unit because I'd miss having that Fantastic Fan in the bedroom. It's a variable speed model and it's nice when it senses the cooler night air and slows its run speed down to almost nothing. In 9 years of owning the Classic I've not been in any situation where I felt the 15K unit wasn't up to the task. I also make sure to deploy all the awnings too!

The bad side of winter delivery is the fact that the trailer might be towed down from the factory in snow or icy conditions thus incurring a bath of salt or chemicals. If you can't get a delivery on an order by Thanksgiving, you might look harder for what you want at the various dealerships. Ask the dealer when the trailer was built, that might give you some idea of what time of the year it was towed to the dealership.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
"The bad side of winter delivery is the fact that the trailer might be towed down from the factory in snow or icy conditions thus incurring a bath of salt or chemicals. If you can't get a delivery on an order by Thanksgiving, you might look harder for what you want at the various dealerships. Ask the dealer when the trailer was built, that might give you some idea of what time of the year it was towed to the dealership.

Jack"

Absolutely, a corroded Airstream from the get-go is not what you want. Next spring delivery would be good for you overall, reading your posts. These things are hideously expensive and do not hold value, proceed with sure feet.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am seriously considering spring delivery...

Have been running the numbers an some logistics and other considerations...

I may indeed consider buying in november if there is a nice one on the lot at a good price that was delivered not in winter....good point.

Plus, I am not entirely sure that there is a high likelihood that we will have a trip mapped out for say december through march....so buying for delivery at that point arguably may not be necessary (although, if we did buy it, we would find a place to camp and have a blast I am sure).

have been somewhat tempted by the 30' bunkhouse model, but I am not yet convinced that the added length, weight, cost, and loss of a nicer couch area for seating will be in our best interest.....

I will consider this unit in july if it is still there...there is no way I could pick it up in june so that is moot.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
side bar question...if one ends up buying at x dealer, but ends up getting warranty service at y dealer...is that a problem.

Ideally, when the time comes, I will have 3 dealers bid for my purchase and take the lowest bidder or closes if a tie. In that case, it may not be that where I buy would be best for proximity and repairs.....sorry, this is a slight tangent...