Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikagurl
Thanks for a good idea Chikagurl. I'm going to look in to it.
BTW, the seller was New. The AS was his first and only auction.
It happened two years ago though...
Id always be a little hesitant with someone with no record at all.
Everyone has to start somewhere...but with a big item Id stick
to an established seller with a good record....
Communication is key....

Id still file the complaint...my personal policy is always putting things on record...always. That way down the road if there are issues you can point back and say..."See, this happened and here's my proof"

anytime
chikagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
After further research, it's clear the message WAS a scam. Thank goodness a couple of grammatical errors kept my skepticism on high. When I went back to the original listing of the rolltop, the seller stated unequivocally that she NEVER sends out Second Chance notices because of this.

I'm learning, I'm learning ...
Old 08-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
After further research, it's clear the message WAS a scam. Thank goodness a couple of grammatical errors kept my skepticism on high. When I went back to the original listing of the rolltop, the seller stated unequivocally that she NEVER sends out Second Chance notices because of this.

I'm learning, I'm learning ...

Textbook example of eBay/internet savvy.
stop, drop, and roll.
you're a pro now.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
Let's hope Chikagurl is the real deal, since I'll be on my way in a couple of weeks to pick up a GT he has.
ANOTHER one? Is this number 5, or 6?
You have Aluminitis in the worst way... Good luck with it/them, anyway!
Old 08-14-2005, 06:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
uh, 3rd i think. the others aren't airstreams.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
contact info

anyone know how I can reach RJ Dial @ vintageairstream.com?
Ive tried to email but get no response....
I was tickled to death to see my trailer here (second one down w/yellow curtains):

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/66GT/66GT.html
Old 08-15-2005, 04:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
anyone know how I can reach RJ Dial @ vintageairstream.com?
Ive tried to email but get no response....
I was tickled to death to see my trailer here (second one down w/yellow curtains):

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/66GT/66GT.html
Did you try this address: feedback@vintageairstream.com

He has always gotten back to me.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:18 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Hey Cheeky...

You probably needed a little bit more info that I didn't supply before you ASS U ME D that anyone avoided any fees. The sale WAS completed through Ebay. I bid -- he closed it -- done deal. No fees were avoided by anyone. I didn't think I needed to supply all of that information, but those are the facts. If you think otherwise I'll be happy to put you in contact with the seller...

Maybe you ought to reserve the term 'sucker' until you have a nice conversation with the seller, shouldn't you? Or maybe just mind your own business -- your call...
Im going based on what you wrote & posted in this VERY PUBLIC forum.
You are the party that opened the topic for public discourse so in essence you made it everyone's business.
I'll also add that I used the word "sucker" as a verb, not a noun.
Im not too big to apologise for misinterpreting your lack of complete disclosure either.
This isnt a path we need to take in this place...Ive met nothing but great people so far and want to keep it that way.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:57 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Hey there!
Nice speaking with you yesterday. By all means...you actually have my phone number, so you can call. lol.
On to your questions...."second chance offer" isnt against eBay policy, in fact they promote it on the site as a viable option for a seller to salvage a sale in the unfortunate event of a non-paying bidder or some similar problem. What is against their rules is off-site sales...for instance the seller contacted you and said he'd sell to you directly...you have no protection in this situation. "Second Chance" is actually through eBay. I have had 1 or 2 instances where I've done this. Usually 2nd chance is offered to you at the next highest bid which in your case may have been $1500? Or did you actually bid $1800? Its possible he's discounting it a bit just to finish the transaction and move on to other items.
There is a function on eBay where you can request contact information of your trading partner...this includes phone number. I would call them directly and have a conversation. Im a fan of the direct approach. Do it here:
http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...rmationRequest
fill out the form section "contact info" and they'll send it immediately or you can just email your seller.
"rejigger" ...you made that up...nice word though...and also a good seller...thats also a legit practice.
I hope it was your cat.....
Talk to you soon.....

I had one of those second chance e -mails on a failed bid on a airstream.......I contacted E-bay directly and they told me in NO uncertain terms that they DO NOT SEND OUT SECOND CHANCES.
They informed me that someone was trying to get my ID in order to run a scam .I lost out of 5 bids in the last minute of E Bay auctions trying to obtain a airstream fairly close to me .
This does have a happy ending however,Last Sunday I won a auction on a Steamline 31 foot unit for HALF of what I had been bidding on .
I hope it being a streamline instead of a airstream isn't held against me

sam
sunshine sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot

Bill
Hmmmm....Ive tried that. Haven't gotten a response yet.
Maybe he's on vacation?
There's no phone on the site that I can find.
Ive heard lots of really nice things about the guy so
I hesitate to take it personally
(shrugs shoulders)
Old 08-15-2005, 07:05 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
second chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine sam
I had one of those second chance e -mails on a failed bid on a airstream.......I contacted E-bay directly and they told me in NO uncertain terms that they DO NOT SEND OUT SECOND CHANCES.
They informed me that someone was trying to get my ID in order to run a scam .I lost out of 5 bids in the last minute of E Bay auctions trying to obtain a airstream fairly close to me .
This does have a happy ending however,Last Sunday I won a auction on a Steamline 31 foot unit for HALF of what I had been bidding on .
I hope it being a streamline instead of a airstream isn't held against me

sam
Um..I probably was unclear...eBay doesn't send out "second chance" offers, but the seller can if the winning bidder falls through. That is perfectly legit.
Read all about it here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/personal-offer.html
I promise Im not making stuff up as I go along.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Um..I probably was unclear...eBay doesn't send out "second chance" offers, but the seller can if the winning bidder falls through. That is perfectly legit.
Read all about it here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/personal-offer.html
I promise Im not making stuff up as I go along.

Sorry Chika........I misunderstood.....not a great start for me here
sunshine sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:28 PM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Hmmmm....Ive tried that. Haven't gotten a response yet.
Maybe he's on vacation?
There's no phone on the site that I can find.
Ive heard lots of really nice things about the guy so
I hesitate to take it personally
(shrugs shoulders)
It IS camping season, they COULD be out in their trailer.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:52 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Chickagurl,

(1)Now I'm the one that's curious. I honestly don't know who you are, but I think (based on a closed '56 Ebay AS auction) that you sell a lot of trailers?

(2)If that's you, I'm curious... I have always avoided private sales on Ebay -- I will not participate in a private auction. I believe it's too easy for the seller to manipulate the bidding (and that's just MY opinion). IF that's you, I'm curious as to why you make all of your auctions private. I don't think I'm alone -- I think there is probably a high percentage of bidders that won't touch a private auction with a ten foot pole.

(3)I don't see an open auction as a deterrent for a bidder. Even if there was something I really didn't want to be public (for the small percentage of those who would even know my Ebay handle (I have four by the way)), I'd just create another one for a one off purchase.

(4)Oh, an open ended statement -- I'll fix it. Four Ebay accounts; One for personal buying, one for personal selling, one for business buying, one for business selling. ALL four have 100% feedback ratings -- ZERO negatives. ...and I do NOT buy and resell items on Ebay. Closed that one I think...

(5)So if that is you, what's up with the private auctions? ...and if that's not you, I'll be happy to take anyone's opinion on PRIVATE AUCTIONS on Ebay. Thanks...
Thats "cheeky" to you...I just now caught on to that...
Ok fair enough...
(1) I sell ALOT of things...I just happen to really love old Airstreams.

(2) Entirely your perog...you can feel free to avoid everything I do if that suits you. I take a bit of offense that you so freely associate me with something underhanded. In your very first post, the one I initially responded to, you referred to bidders praising a trailer as "morons" (your EXACT words). I guess I take some offense also to someone who sits in judgement of others by calling them stupid. I get those praise comments frequently and I DONT post them on the auction...none of these people has ever been a moron...they're just new and excited and its supposed to be fun. They've ALL been really nice people...every one of them.
Apparently you ARE more alone than you think. I rarely have anyone even mention it and it certainly hasnt deterred anything.

(3) (good for you) (congratulations) (see below)

(4) I only have ONE account...I dont need to hide my identity and it really doesnt matter to me if someone knows who I am or not...all the better if they do. Neither do I buy for resale on eBay.

(5) First off, I dont owe you an explanation for anything, but I'll give the explanation for your education and for the benefit of anyone else here reading who doesnt understand and wants to....

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/private.html

(a) I have had Dealers steal bidder lists and spam my customers/bidders. I typically become friends with buyers and clients. I have several repeat customers. I regularly get emails from past customers updating me about how they're doing and referrals from clients Ive assisted in the past. I dont like people bothering my friends.

(b) I have had other sellers attempt to sabbotage my auctions for a similar item by spamming my bidders list with false claims

(c) I have had disgruntled losing bidders spam other bidders with fraudulent claims trying to scare a bidder into backing out so they can buy.

(d) I Sold a beautiful antique pinball machine once to a new user. She claimed it was as a Christmas present for her hubby. She paid. I crated, wrapped, and trucked it personally in my truck to her in FL. When she received it, she emailed me proclaiming how perfect it was and her family and husband loved it. 2 weeks later (new year's) she posted a chargeback through her credit card claiming the machine "was received not as described or damaged". Merry Christmas (probably overspent). I never got my $1200 or my machine back. But I reported her to every agency on the face of the earth. I guess she got in some hot water because she got booted from eBay but proceeded to write emails to every bidder on every auction I ran.

(e) Im at the very end of a situation currently with a person who bought an AS from MA. He paid for it but couldnt pick it up/didnt want to pay delivery fee. I stored it for A YEAR at my expense. Finally he asked me to relist it to recoup his money. Attempting to be a nice guy I agreed and even did it N/C on a verbal agreement (mistake). When the new owner/winning bidder won the auction immediately the first owner starts screaming "stolen property" and spamming the bidder list and winning bidder. Turns out his partner was diagnosed with a terminal illness and he lost it and just wanted to hurt everyone within reach.

Finally, at this point I called my account manager at eBay and we had a heart-to-heart talk. HER suggestion was for me to make all auctions private. Since that time the number of problems has been reduced dramatically.

There are a lot of kooks out there who have "control issues" and get a thrill out of preying on good people. My tolerance for it is zero.
I keep a positive point of view with people and I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt. Im not automatically, immediately suspicious or cynical and I like to try to help decent people when I have an opportunity to do so.

Thats my indepth novella of a response...from here on out Id like to keep it light and fun cause I now have a headache.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:54 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine sam
Sorry Chika........I misunderstood.....not a great start for me here

Its all good.....
Old 08-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot

Bill

Bill
Mission accomplished.
Thanks for the assist.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
the now infamous "scam" trailer

After all the grief I took yesterday and the public stoning......

This link will open the ad Ive now posted for the trailer.
All the contact info is in the ad now by permission so
anyone interested can make their own contact.

http://www.airforums.com/class...hp?product=943

Thanks
Old 05-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Fort Lauderdale , Florida
I'm about to pull a trigger on eBay and try to find more information on how to do transaction. Normally, buyers have to pay the entire amount through PayPal or something. How does it work for a big ticket item such as Airstream? Can buyers check the trailer in person after the auction and then pay the whole amount after the title is signed?
writemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
I have sucessfully bought and sold a couple of Airstreams on eBay. I would not transfer more than three figures at time of winning. Transaction should be completed in person with a cashiers check.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
I have sucessfully bought and sold a couple of Airstreams on eBay. I would not transfer more than three figures at time of winning. Transaction should be completed in person with a cashiers check.
Thank you for your advice. Title transfer process can be different from state to state. Does anyone know how it works in State of New York? Do I just sign on the title to reassign ownership and get a signed bill of sale, then get the title transferred to my state?
writemate is offline   Reply With Quote