Old 08-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Hello Elizabeth (and Robert) - and welcome to the forums. Glad your ebay experience was positive. Now - let the fixing begin!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccamper
i think the higher the price of the ebay item the greater the chance of unhappy transaction. kind of like the probability of the toast landing jelly side down is directly proportional to the price of the carpet.

to me, it is critical to know the ebay rules before bidding.

elizabeth (and robert)
To be fair, I think that's probably an accurate statement. Key word here being "chance". And yes, knowing the rules definitely works in your favor and is recommended. Check the seller's feedback, contact some of their previous customers, and ask questions. Most sellers, even on high ticket items, are straight shooters. No legit seller wants a ding in their record by cheating someone or lying about anything. AND most serious sellers are willing to compromise some to create a positive situation for all parties involved.
Again, I'm available for advice or assistance if needed.
Thanks to everyone for all the good discourse here.

PS...might be able to help you with the schematics....

Old 08-14-2005, 11:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Let's hope Chikagurl is the real deal, since I'll be on my way in a couple of weeks to pick up a GT he has. (Actually, I have no fears & know I got a good price to boot.)

But here's an ebay question: I bid on a gorgeous rolltop desk recently. Unfortunately, the quality of desk that I'm searching for looks like it'll consistently run in the $2,000+ range, and I stopped bidding around $1,800.

This morning I got a "Second Chance" offer from the seller in My Messages, putting the desk at $1,500. It's obviously from the seller, who has a positive ranking of 2491, and not a spoof email, but the eBay message along the right side says this is against the rules. Would a seller of such longstanding really pull a stunt like that? It seems strange, too, because if I was willing to bid $1,800, why would he sell it to me for $1,500?

I did once truly miss an auction ending when a cat stepped on the keyboard & reversed my Watched Items listing order & it took me a crucial 30 seconds to rejigger. But when I cried to the seller, who got no bids, she immediately relisted the item with a Buy It Now price for me. So that seemed legit.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:51 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
Let's hope Chikagurl is the real deal, since I'll be on my way in a couple of weeks to pick up a GT he has. (Actually, I have no fears & know I got a good price to boot.)

But here's an ebay question: I bid on a gorgeous rolltop desk recently. Unfortunately, the quality of desk that I'm searching for looks like it'll consistently run in the $2,000+ range, and I stopped bidding around $1,800.

This morning I got a "Second Chance" offer from the seller in My Messages, putting the desk at $1,500. It's obviously from the seller, who has a positive ranking of 2491, and not a spoof email, but the eBay message along the right side says this is against the rules. Would a seller of such longstanding really pull a stunt like that? It seems strange, too, because if I was willing to bid $1,800, why would he sell it to me for $1,500?

I did once truly miss an auction ending when a cat stepped on the keyboard & reversed my Watched Items listing order & it took me a crucial 30 seconds to rejigger. But when I cried to the seller, who got no bids, she immediately relisted the item with a Buy It Now price for me. So that seemed legit.
Hey there!
Nice speaking with you yesterday. By all means...you actually have my phone number, so you can call. lol.
On to your questions...."second chance offer" isnt against eBay policy, in fact they promote it on the site as a viable option for a seller to salvage a sale in the unfortunate event of a non-paying bidder or some similar problem. What is against their rules is off-site sales...for instance the seller contacted you and said he'd sell to you directly...you have no protection in this situation. "Second Chance" is actually through eBay. I have had 1 or 2 instances where I've done this. Usually 2nd chance is offered to you at the next highest bid which in your case may have been $1500? Or did you actually bid $1800? Its possible he's discounting it a bit just to finish the transaction and move on to other items.
There is a function on eBay where you can request contact information of your trading partner...this includes phone number. I would call them directly and have a conversation. Im a fan of the direct approach. Do it here:
http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...rmationRequest
fill out the form section "contact info" and they'll send it immediately or you can just email your seller.
"rejigger" ...you made that up...nice word though...and also a good seller...thats also a legit practice.
I hope it was your cat.....
Talk to you soon.....
Old 08-14-2005, 12:34 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog
My Ebay experience wasn't quite like yours. But it was bad enough.
2 years ago I was high bidder ($3800)on about a 68 25 footer.
The following Saturday a buddy of mine and I drove the 200 miles one way to pick it up. It was in horrible condition. Seller had badly misrepresented it's condition. I had called him twice before I bid and we chatted about it for about 40 minutes total. At the time I wouldn't have taken it if you had GIVEN it to me. ( If you gave it to me now I would be astute enough to part it out. Heh heh)So I refused it and of course he had to give me a non paying bidder which I still have behind my name on Ebay.
How long ago did this happen? Did you leave the bum a neg? I know from experience eBay takes that stuff SERIOUSLY. If you file a complaint about misrepresented item:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/inr-snad-process.html
Then you can have the "non-paying bidder" strike removed since obviously no one is going to pay for a grossly misrepresented item. eBay knows this.
I wish more folks would do this type thing...report 'em...likely their account will be suspended and another bonehead bites the dust thanks to good follow up. Not to mention your name is cleared....
Be a lawyer...it isnt that tuff. Most crooks are dumb.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #20
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
[QUOTE=chikagurl]How long ago did this happen? Did you leave the bum a neg? I know from experience eBay takes that stuff SERIOUSLY. If you file a complaint about misrepresented item:

Then you can have the "non-paying bidder" strike removed since obviously no one is going to pay for a grossly misrepresented item. eBay knows this.
I wish more folks would do this type thing...report 'em...likely their account will be suspended and another bonehead bites the dust thanks to good follow up. Not to mention your name is cleared....

Thanks for a good idea Chikagurl. I'm going to look in to it.
BTW, the seller was New. The AS was his first and only auction.
It happened two years ago though...
Old 08-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikagurl
Thanks for a good idea Chikagurl. I'm going to look in to it.
BTW, the seller was New. The AS was his first and only auction.
It happened two years ago though...
Id always be a little hesitant with someone with no record at all.
Everyone has to start somewhere...but with a big item Id stick
to an established seller with a good record....
Communication is key....

Id still file the complaint...my personal policy is always putting things on record...always. That way down the road if there are issues you can point back and say..."See, this happened and here's my proof"

anytime
Old 08-14-2005, 06:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
After further research, it's clear the message WAS a scam. Thank goodness a couple of grammatical errors kept my skepticism on high. When I went back to the original listing of the rolltop, the seller stated unequivocally that she NEVER sends out Second Chance notices because of this.

I'm learning, I'm learning ...
Old 08-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
After further research, it's clear the message WAS a scam. Thank goodness a couple of grammatical errors kept my skepticism on high. When I went back to the original listing of the rolltop, the seller stated unequivocally that she NEVER sends out Second Chance notices because of this.

I'm learning, I'm learning ...

Textbook example of eBay/internet savvy.
stop, drop, and roll.
you're a pro now.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:39 PM   #24
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Let's hope Chikagurl is the real deal, since I'll be on my way in a couple of weeks to pick up a GT he has.
ANOTHER one? Is this number 5, or 6?
You have Aluminitis in the worst way... Good luck with it/them, anyway!
Old 08-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
uh, 3rd i think. the others aren't airstreams.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:52 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
contact info

anyone know how I can reach RJ Dial @ vintageairstream.com?
Ive tried to email but get no response....
I was tickled to death to see my trailer here (second one down w/yellow curtains):

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/66GT/66GT.html
Old 08-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikagurl
anyone know how I can reach RJ Dial @ vintageairstream.com?
Ive tried to email but get no response....
I was tickled to death to see my trailer here (second one down w/yellow curtains):

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/66GT/66GT.html
Did you try this address: feedback@vintageairstream.com

He has always gotten back to me.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:18 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Hey Cheeky...

You probably needed a little bit more info that I didn't supply before you ASS U ME D that anyone avoided any fees. The sale WAS completed through Ebay. I bid -- he closed it -- done deal. No fees were avoided by anyone. I didn't think I needed to supply all of that information, but those are the facts. If you think otherwise I'll be happy to put you in contact with the seller...

Maybe you ought to reserve the term 'sucker' until you have a nice conversation with the seller, shouldn't you? Or maybe just mind your own business -- your call...
Im going based on what you wrote & posted in this VERY PUBLIC forum.
You are the party that opened the topic for public discourse so in essence you made it everyone's business.
I'll also add that I used the word "sucker" as a verb, not a noun.
Im not too big to apologise for misinterpreting your lack of complete disclosure either.
This isnt a path we need to take in this place...Ive met nothing but great people so far and want to keep it that way.