Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Question Anyone bought from "vintage-airstream.com"?

Hi fellow AS fans!

I am looking to be an owner and take the romantic Pan-American roadtrip this summer (within the next four weeks!!). I have been looking at 1960s models, and trying to find on I can handle alone (under 24'), can haul pretty easy, and doesn't need too many upgrades. AC is a must (heading to the desert) as is heat (heading to northwest mountains).

[FYI, also want one with a separated sleeping area from sitting area-- bed becomes couch, and a separate table/banquet or area for a free standing table; don't like the twin bed/bunk models-- prefer the storage; kitchen stuff needs to be working; must have functioning bathroom/shower/water heater, and willing to deal with the portable gray water tank situation. Don't have tow vehicle yet, but planning on a big V8 to get it over the Rockies.]

I have gotten some invaluable advice on here so far, and after looking at all the "needs TLC" models, I am looking for one already fixed up and ready to roll (willing to do things like add the AC, fix curtains, or install flooring, but not much else).

I have seen several models I like on "vintage-airstream.com". They are a 10+ hour drive for me. I am willing to make it, but want to know if anyone has had experience buying there. I see their prices vary between the high end of the price guide, to $5K over (Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values) (meaning if the guide says a perfect one is 12.5K-17.9K, vintage-airstream.com will list it for sale between $18K and $23K). How are they at negotiating? How is the service as a buyer?

Any first-hand (or even second hand!) accounts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all the help you have given me so far!!

Kristen
kristen_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
You may want to check out vintagecampers.com. They are in Peru, Indiana and have a wide selection of all kinds of cool vintage aluminum travel trailers. The owner, Dan, is a really good guy. I purchased my first vinatge AS from him a few years back. The deal was done over the phone an internet, as I'm in PA. Dan was great to work with, and was very patient with myh newbie questions. The trailer was as was indicated--and I was happy with the deal. I would definately purchase from him again.

Kathleen
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Kristen,

Have you seen this one?

Fred's Airstream Archives - 1975 Airstream Trade Wind 25' Travel Trailer (A)

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault View Post
You may want to check out vintagecampers.com. They are in Peru, Indiana and have a wide selection of all kinds of cool vintage aluminum travel trailers. The owner, Dan, is a really good guy. I purchased my first vinatge AS from him a few years back. ...
Hi Kathleen!
I am planning on going over there next week. Right now, he only has one AS that fits my needs. It needs a furnace and water heater (and AC!)... I am trying to stay away from these repairs, as they indicate the whole system needs checking/tweaking/replacing. I wanted to buy from Dan, because I have heard great things. My timeline has restricted me though. I will still go see it and let you know!
Kristen
kristen_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, vintage-airstream.com