Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
BEND , Oregon
34 foot Airstream, old, new, ? Why?

I'm a looker and a little anal, (a lot according to my wife), but if a person could find a 34 footer in good - great shape what are the downsides of buying it? You can't hurt my feelings so fire away!! I have no commitment, I'm so new it's scary, our intentions are longer trips to warm weather or relatives. Maybe cruise the coasts or who knows.
Does insurance relate to length of the AS or $$? Being the longfellow are there additional maintenance concerns? How about parks, nat'l and state, any problems? Unload please!! Thanks in advance.
call-me-al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We've owned two 34's, and I think they are superb; tow like a dream, lots of room, not to be shallow but looks really cool as well. We now own a 27' and I have to say that have as much room as we need with it. Also, it is definitely better for national/state parks, where in some places even 27 feet is a bit long.

Depends on your priorities but I loved our 34's!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by call-me-al View Post
I'm a looker and a little anal, (a lot according to my wife)...find a 34 footer in good - great shape what are the downsides of buying it?
Al...that somewhat describes me also I am quite taken by the 34'...and I think my wife would like the room...as well as the hickory cabinets in the newer units.

Couple of things you probably know...

1) MSRP $100K+

2) Not currently available for 2012...AS manufactured 25 in 2011...and my dealer said they have no plans to produce any in 2012. They had not produced for a couple (?) of years prior to 2011 "special" run of 25.

Other than that I join you in your admiration!

Tom R in Two Harbors, Mn
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
TnVolGuy

1983 31' Excella
Cordova , Tennessee
Send a message via Skype™ to trmiller
We have a 31ft Excella & love it. It's a1983 and is actually great condition. Best trailer I have
trmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Downsides:
*Storage--covered is best.
*Lot of trailer to wash and wax.
*Not everyone is comfortable pulling something that is 34' 10 1/2" long. Much less backing and manuevering around gas stations and tight campgrounds.
*You need a hoss of a tow vehicle, especially with the newer 34s.
*Less sites available at campgrounds and some parks cannot accomodate them at all.
*One 15K BTU AC is borderline in some situations. Many people have 2 air conditioners on their 34s. We do fine with one in most circumstances.
*Extra maintenance compared with a 31' or shorter is an additional axle, 2 extra brakes, 2 more sets of bearings, 2 extra tires to maintain, and about 3 more feet of aluminum.

We are a family of 4 and thoroughly enjoy our 34. We could do just fine in a smaller trailer but it is nice to have a little extra room and storage. It is my opinion that it handles better, tracks better, and is easier to back up than shorter trailers.
Hope this is helpful and a decent start.
Good luck in your investigation and searching.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
TnVolGuy

1983 31' Excella
Cordova , Tennessee
Send a message via Skype™ to trmiller
Well hit wrong button. Was saying best trailer we have ever pulled. Airstreams pull very good. We love it
trmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Salem , Virginia
Good Evening Al,

I'm also relatively new to Airstreams. My wife and I purchased a 1991 Excella 1000 34' back in May. If you can find a 34' in good usable condition I see no downsides purchasing one.

1) Insurance - If I remember correctly I purchased full coverage insurance for around $340 a year which I didn't think was to bad.

2) I don't think there would be any additional maintenance cost besides the additional two tires need and cleaning supplies!

3) From what I have read we may have problems with a 34 footer in national forest campground. We have ours at an RV park and have not issues.

My one recommendation would be a second a/c in the bedroom. I'm hoping to do that update this fall or spring.

Good Luck on your search!

Jody

jbbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
never pulled a 34. been on lots of caravans with them. Have seen absolutly no problems with them as far as pulling and camping. I think used 34's might be a good buy, because some people do think they are too big or whatever. The older ones do have some issues with separation at the front or back. know a couple that just went from a 28 to a 34. they say it actually seems to pull better than the 28 because it seems more stable on the 3 axles. go for it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Salem , Virginia
I had actually never pulled anything when we purchased ours. I took my uncle with me how pulled it a mile from the PO's home then turned it over to me. I pulled it 100 miles home with not issues and backed it into a space first try. The next day I pulled it on to the campground over various road types (Interstate, winding country roads) with no issue. It was an actual joy to pull.

As has been stated the price of the 2011 34' model at over $100K a used one was our only option.
jbbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
List of con's above is pretty good, but there are several key factors to run through mental spreadsheet...

1. It really does take a beefier and more expensive truck to tow.. You can get away with a half-ton Suburban or Truck under 30', but will definitely need a 3/4 ton and probably a diesel to pull the 34... That will add to the cost
2. Used ones actually depreciate more than smaller Airstreams, because the market is limited and fewer people are seeking them out.
3. Most (but no all...) State Park organizations spec max trailer lengths at 25', though they don't usually measure with a tape.. Airstream 27's can fake it, but 34 looks long enough to be disqualified.
4. Maintenance for tires, bearings, brakes, etc will be more, and risks of body damage swinging in tight spaces is higher.
5. Two air conditioners probably required in deep south our southwest, for temps over 90 degrees....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by call-me-al View Post
Does insurance relate to length of the AS or $$?
It is usually proportional to the original MSRP so for a 34' it will be somewhat higher.

Quote:
Being the longfellow are there additional maintenance concerns?
Not really other than the third axle, which increases the tire, brake, bearing, and axle costs.

Quote:
How about parks, nat'l and state, any problems? Unload please!! Thanks in advance.
I don't have a 34' but I have a 30' and have talked extensively to owners of 34's and toured their rigs.

You will need a tow vehicle that is truly large enough, which in practice means a 3/4 ton pickup, a 3/4 ton Suburban, or one of a handful of larger and now-discontinued SUVs like the Ford Excursion. You will also pretty much need a Hensley or ProPride hitch, in my opinion, although some people get by without them.

The overall length of the truck and trailer combined will pose parking problems. The extent to which this matters varies regionally and depends on the kinds of places you like. National parks pose the largest problems because they have a preponderance of small sites and tight turns. Most private campgrounds will have suitable sites. In Minnesota and the surrounding area, the state parks all have sites that are large enough although any park may have a few sites where the rig won't fit. In some cases you may find that you have to detach the tow vehicle and park it separately, which isn't a big deal.

I like my 30' and while any RV tends to seem like it is just a couple of feet too small I don't have any regrets. The 34' floorplan doesn't make as efficient use of space due to the bathroom layout and so the net benefit is just a couple more feet in the lounge area, and while that's welcome if you travel with a larger group, I don't think it's necessary.

Hope this helps.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I would agree that 3/4 ton TV is a must. The tongue weight on a 34' is substantial and you need to account for this. Even when towing with an Excursion, we beefed up the rear end to make it travel more evenly.

A second AC unit is really nice. We had one when traveling with two teenagers - or one close to teen years, and I'd have to say that was pretty cool (no pun intended). We also had a slide-out, so of course that added to square footage needing to be cooled. Did I mention we had a teenage daughter?

As for towing, absolutely a breeze. Backing up - no problem - maybe even easier that a shorter trailer (mentioned earlier).

Yes, there are increased costs - tire wear, packing wheels etc. Not to sound blaze, we didn't find that to be a particularly big issue.

For me, the only question would be about length of trailer relative to boon docking sites, national or state park sites - which are traditionally shorter in length. This is not a negative to the 34', it is just being realistic. Now this is not to say you won't be able to fit into some state/natl parks, it just means you might need to be more selective about sites.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
How does the 27'FB compare with your 34' w/o slide...on a day-to-day liviability scale? I wonder how "livable" the "lounge" seating is? Also seems a bit light on storage? Thanks...Tom R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
I would agree that 3/4 ton TV is a must. The tongue weight on a 34' is substantial and you need to account for this. Even when towing with an Excursion, we beefed up the rear end to make it travel more evenly.

A second AC unit is really nice. We had one when traveling with two teenagers - or one close to teen years, and I'd have to say that was pretty cool (no pun intended). We also had a slide-out, so of course that added to square footage needing to be cooled. Did I mention we had a teenage daughter?

As for towing, absolutely a breeze. Backing up - no problem - maybe even easier that a shorter trailer (mentioned earlier).

Yes, there are increased costs - tire wear, packing wheels etc. Not to sound blaze, we didn't find that to be a particularly big issue.

For me, the only question would be about length of trailer relative to boon docking sites, national or state park sites - which are traditionally shorter in length. This is not a negative to the 34', it is just being realistic. Now this is not to say you won't be able to fit into some state/natl parks, it just means you might need to be more selective about sites.
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Can't add much to this discussion, except to vote YES to the alumiliner. We sure do love ours, and the positives far out weight any negatives. Go for it. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Can't add much to this discussion, except to vote YES to the alumiliner. We sure do love ours, and the positives far out weight any negatives. Go for it. John
WE TOO...our biggest concern was where we camp, almost exclusively 'dock'n.

Just do it....

Wow JJW...."Driftn' Way of Life"
Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We wanted a dinette and a queen bed in the rear, which limited us to the 34', the 30' made starting in the 90s, and the 25' made starting in the late 90s/early 2000s. The latter group were too expensive for us. I was hoping for a mid-90s 30', but we would've taken a 34' had the right one come along. Fortunately, the 30' came along and was exactly what we wanted, and we're happy with the smaller camper, but the extra storage in the 34' is like..."hmmm...that'd be nice!" (However, I'm not sure how parking it at our house would work...we have enough trouble with the 30'.)

My parents have a 34' and love it. It's a really nice camper, and they've done some full-timing in it (not the original purpose when they bought it, but it was nice to have that option when circumstances required it).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Shorter vs. longer rigs: "Horses for courses," you know? When I'm trying to wedge into a small National or State Forest site or get in and BUT: when I have guests over for dinner, a 34'er would be too small. It all depends upon what you're gonna' be doing the most; if you plan to "see the USA" and be on the road a lot of the time, smaller is definitely better. On the other hand, if you see yourself sitting in one place more, larger will give you more room for those "necessary" amenities.

New vs used: once again, tradeoffs. New will still require the same preventive maintenance as used, and with a used rig, the "wear-out" things like appliances, water heater, bearings, will have more age on them. But a few-year-old unit will save you many thousands over new, and IF it's been well cared for, will probably prove to be a bargain. I bought a nice used rig and spent SOME of the savings on a high-powered solar system, upgraded wheels and tires, new Fantastic Vent, bigger battery bank for boondocking, etc. I'm still probably $40k ahead of where I'd be with a spanking new unit, and I'm very happy.

I certainly admire the big, new units going down the road - but I'm glad I don't own them, given the sort of camping that I do. So you gotta' figure out what YOU will do and buy accordingly.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #18
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
How does the 27'FB compare with your 34' w/o slide...on a day-to-day liviability scale? I wonder how "livable" the "lounge" seating is? Also seems a bit light on storage? Thanks...Tom R
Main thing to think about is how many people you will routinely have inside. The benefit of the 34' is all about extra seating space. In a 30' we can serve food for 7, (four at the dinette and three on the gaucho), or we can have a circle of 6-7 conversing in the lounge if the tables are folded away (four on the gaucho plus folding chairs). It's cozy but it works.

If you're a family of four and rarely entertain then a 27 FB is probably sufficient.

I think storage requirements are overrated for most travel situations. We have plenty of space. It's the full-timers who seem to run out of room, because they're carrying a bunch of stuff around with them that other people don't.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
BEND , Oregon
WOW! Thank you all!!!! I wonder if they sell Airstreams in Diagon alley (Harry Potter reference). Ok, 3/4 ton dodge diesel I have, its noisy but paid off. 2001 but with new diesel pumps so it will be good for a long time if my wife didn't hate it as it rides like a go kart and sounds like a manufacturing facility. So a new truck and a used AS. What 3/4 or 1 ton rides the best? (hornet's nest, I fear), I'm sort of a Dodge guy cause dad was! Trailer package of course what else? I love you guys/girls, objective advice no quota morality, you're the best. Thanks in advance
call-me-al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The 34's are the coolest looking TT ever made. Bar none. IMHO. Luv to have one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34 Airstream ebay.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	136455