Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Title versus bill of sale

We are purchasing a 1964 airstream and the current owner told us that we don't need a title on vintage Airstreams but just a bill of sale. Has anyone heard if this is true? He does not have a title from the previous owner.
ArtWithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Alexandria , Louisiana
It depends upon your state, call your DMV and they can tell you. In my case, Louisiana does not require a title but does require a copy of current registration from state it was titled in, a notorized bill of sale and copy of seller's drivers license.
Good luck.
Maurice
mhebert1256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I would think that each state would be different. My advice would be to call your local GADOT office and ask for their advice. That way there is no misunderstanding about what is required.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
My '65 came from family in South Dakota, and had a title there.

Here in New York it's just a transferrable registration, no title.
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Is it registered now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtWithin View Post
We are purchasing a 1964 airstream and the current owner told us that we don't need a title on vintage Airstreams but just a bill of sale. Has anyone heard if this is true? He does not have a title from the previous owner.
I would be very careful about a title.....you don't want to end up with yard art...paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to chromis
I had a similar issue with my 1965 Safari in Texas.

I received a bill of sale only and had to get a bonded title.

You can call the GA DMV and ask about obtaining a bonded title..

IF you tow it be sure to carry the Bill of sale as evidence of ownership until you get a proper title/tags.. I got pulled while towing mine with "temporary" tags and it was unpleasant...
chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I had the PO acquire a title before I bought it. It's a pain in the butt, at least here in VA.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arkadelphia , Arkansas
I titled 2 1966 Apache trailers in Arkansas using only bills of sale. One came from Kansas, and one from New Jersey. Because of the age of the trailers, and the fact that many states didn't title trailers back then, it didn't cause an issue.
clbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
In WV, you must have a title to register anything.

Check this one, I bought a canoe off a guy ten years ago. Paid him $300 for it. He gave me the registration and signed on the back that he sold it to me for $300. Said he bought it at a canoe shop and they gave him a certificate of origin from the manufacturer, and that was it. He registered it (we have to register them to put an electric trolling motor on them....you don't have to register to just paddle it). I decided last year I wanted to put a trolling motor on it so went to the DMV. They said "Where's the title?" I said "The fellow never had one." They said "He must have had one to get this registration; see it has a title number on it." I said "Well, then call it up in your computer." They said "Can't do that, you have to have it." So I called him up ten years later (found him via the internet). He said "Oh yeah, I remember you and that boat. Nope, never did have a title." So I go back to the DMV. Same runaround. I give up and paddle it for another year. Go down there a couple months ago to a different DMV. Girl says "You must have a title?" So I try calling the guy. He's no longer answering the number. Heck, he may be deceased. So I go back to the DMV and tell them "The guy is unreachable. He may have died. What do I do?" She says "Well you must find the executor of his estate and get them to go to the DMV, get a duplicate title made, then sign it over to you, then you get it transferred." I'm like "I only paid $300 for the boat, I have no idea how to find out who is executor is if there even is one."

Finally, I said "What's the fine if I just take it out on the lake? I'll tell the cop to come see you. That I was here four times with money in hand and you guys wouldn't take it." She says "Oh, I wouldn't do that." So I said "Thank you." Now I paddle the boat.

Anyway, I'd make sure the seller has a title!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Finally, I said "What's the fine if I just take it out on the lake? I'll tell the cop to come see you. That I was here four times with money in hand and you guys wouldn't take it." She says "Oh, I wouldn't do that." So I said "Thank you." Now I paddle the boat.

Place a "mechanic's lien" on it, then go get a title. The canoe was Stored on your property and abandoned - the guy has not paid rent in years - you get a lien for the unpaid rent, then after 60-90 days you can get a title.

Paula
Old 06-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arkadelphia , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post

Check this one, I bought a canoe off a guy ten years ago. Paid him $300 for it. He gave me the registration and signed on the back that he sold it to me for $300. Said he bought it at a canoe shop and they gave him a certificate of origin from the manufacturer, and that was it. He registered it (we have to register them to put an electric trolling motor on them....you don't have to register to just paddle it). I decided last year I wanted to put a trolling motor on it so went to the DMV. They said "Where's the title?" I said "The fellow never had one." They said "He must have had one to get this registration; see it has a title number on it." I said "Well, then call it up in your computer." They said "Can't do that, you have to have it." So I called him up ten years later (found him via the internet). He said "Oh yeah, I remember you and that boat. Nope, never did have a title." So I go back to the DMV. Same runaround. I give up and paddle it for another year. Go down there a couple months ago to a different DMV. Girl says "You must have a title?" So I try calling the guy. He's no longer answering the number. Heck, he may be deceased. So I go back to the DMV and tell them "The guy is unreachable. He may have died. What do I do?" She says "Well you must find the executor of his estate and get them to go to the DMV, get a duplicate title made, then sign it over to you, then you get it transferred." I'm like "I only paid $300 for the boat, I have no idea how to find out who is executor is if there even is one."

Here's an interesting twist on how things are done in Arkansas. Arkansas doesn't title boats, they just register them. However, the trailer must be titled. Since there's no title on the boat, you don't have to pay sales tax on a used one, no matter how much you pay for the boat. However, if the used trailer that the boat sits on costs you over a certain amount, you have to pay sales tax on it.
clbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Talking Sorry, but I find this amusing

So far there are 10 replies to this newcomer's question. However, in my mind, only two of them are of any help at all. They are the first and second replies.

Since their info says that they are in Georgia, I am guessing that is where they want to register their trailer. So it would be useful info if it pertained to Georgia.

However the best advice is to contact the DMV in the state you are wishing to register the trailer. They are the ones you have to satisfy.

What goes on in any other state, may make an interesting anecdote, but is basically of no help at all getting the trailer registered in Georgia.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Per the GA DMV website, any trailer newer than 1986 needs a title. If it is older the 1986, you need the previous owner to sign over the registration, and a bill of sale in order to register the trailer in your trailer and get a tag for it (tag in GA = license plate in other parts of the US)

For reference, see: Georgia RVs and Motor Home DMV Registration at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
So far there are 10 replies to this newcomer's question. However, in my mind, only two of them are of any help at all. They are the first and second replies.

Since their info says that they are in Georgia, I am guessing that is where they want to register their trailer. So it would be useful info if it pertained to Georgia.

However the best advice is to contact the DMV in the state you are wishing to register the trailer. They are the ones you have to satisfy.

What goes on in any other state, may make an interesting anecdote, but is basically of no help at all getting the trailer registered in Georgia.

Ken
What most people seem to be implying is that it can be important to get a title. NOT just a bill of sale.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
If a title is available, definitely get it. If not, check the laws for your state, and there may be an alternative legal way if the title is not available.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
What most people seem to be implying is that it can be important to get a title. NOT just a bill of sale.
Yes that is what most are saying but since it is not possible to get a title for a 1964 trailer in Georgia it does not matter how important is.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Yes that is what most are saying but since it is not possible to get a title for a 1964 trailer in Georgia it does not matter how important is.
Then people are giving the OP information they feel is pertinent to the original question. The OP did not ask if it was only in GA.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Staab Agency
L911 is offline   Reply With Quote