Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
San Diego , California
Insurance question from a 'new' Airstream owner! :-)

Greetings from San Diego, California.

I am the proud new owner of a 1967 22' Safari. It's in very good condition, but definitely needs work to make it my very own! Wow, what a great community of individuals who are so willing to share valuable information and help one another.

Okay, knowing that I am communicating with "Airstream Pros", I'm hoping that someone can answer this question. I contacted State Farm insurance to get a policy in place and they asked me if I knew roughly what the trailer cost brand new back in '67. I can't seem to find this anywhere, aside from trying the actual factory. Does anyone have a "guestimate" of how much it might have been? Thanks a bunch!

John

PS - I will definitely post pictures right away.
jjagnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. I can't answer your original cost question, but I'm sure one of our resident experts will chime in soon.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Elk City , Idaho
Hi John welcome to the forum. I checked around but had no luck. I am sure like Moosetags says someone will be right along.
Good luck post pictures
silver&gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to you and your "new" baby...you're gonna have a blast getting it fixed up and on the road...you're in the right place for everything Aristream...good information, good resources, good people, good times....

Life is good,
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Make sure you have a clear idea of what agreed value is on the insurance.
It may be a lot less than you paid for the trailer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
San Diego , California
Thanks Michelle! I'm a little intimidated at the moment about this entire new "chapter in my life", if you will . . . in fact, on top of everything, I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate this web site. I think I might have "double-posted" my question in two different spots. It's all good though! Good night. John
Old 01-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
San Diego , California
Thanks a bunch all . . . it's great to be here!

John
Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forums.

BIGED52 has a 67 Safari and has been working on restoring it to it's former glory. He can offer alot of info from his experience.

Steve
Old 01-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
I don't know the actual price of the trailer, but in 1969 new Ford LTD cost $4300. I would believe the trailer was in the same range.
The question from the insurance seem strange, since now the price doesn't apply to anything. You know that the liability insurance on the trailer comes from your tow vehicle coverage, don't you?
Welcome to the forum and congratulation on the "new" trailer.
I've got mine a month ago and the idea for the future is to keep it at my second property in Escondido.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Welcome!

Hi John! Welcome to the Forums from another happy 1967 22' Safari owner in California! Sorry I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure you will find the help you need from the fine folks on this forum.

Please post pictures soon so we can ooh and awww over your new beauty.

Happy Silver Trails,
Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #11
_

. , .
hi john and welcome to the forums...

reads like your s.f. agent knows very little about your insurance needs on this unit...

focus on insurance companies that understand rv coverage and can meet your needs...

progressive for example.

the price new is irrelevant on a 40 year old trailer.

the coverage should protect YOUR purchase price, and IF you plan a major restoration...

the VALUE of that process/product when completed.

AGREED VALUE is the ideal policy/rider IF the unit is gonna be worth more than a few 1000$.

you may need a professional appraisal or examples of comparable units,

and the cost of insurance will be higher, as the agreed value climbs.

and don't believe the agent on agreed value...READ THE POLICY DETAILS.

there are several threads here on this topic as it applies to older trailers...

so look at the sub forum or search a few key words...

here are a short list of relevant threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...earchid=949640

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
New '67 owner!!!!

John, Welcome to the forums! As to the original MSRP of your '67 Safari it does depend on options ordered when your coach was purchased. What floor plan it had and trim package as well as awnings etc. and if it came with factory air conditioning. The best thing you can do is post you VIN# here and lots of pictures so we can see you exterior and interior. Then my best idea for an original price would still probably come from Andy R. at InlandRV. He has been in the Airstream business since right around the time our trailers were built. He will most likely know what the pricing was like back then. If you have any questions on working on your "baby" check out the search feature on the blue tool bar above. Also look to the forums tab on the tool bar and you can find posts for all different areas of interest concerning the repair and maintenance for your systems. The '66, '67, and '68 model years were the last ones that were manufactured by Airstream using Wally Byams' original design type/plans. The curved Corning Glass windows are also unique to these three years. These days we have two great sources for replacement glass for these windows. You have joined a great place to find the info you will need going forward as an Airstream owner. We all want to help you along so ask any questions here or feel free to PM me and I will help you all I can. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
John, 2air is right on the money about finding someone to do an appraisal on the condition of your 40 year old travel trailer. Keep in mind that when you go to get an appraisal that the person doing it may not take into consideration the fact that your trailer is not just any trailer it is a "Vintage Airstream" and will always be worth more that the average trailer of a comparable age range. You may only be able to insure it as an Antique Vehicle! Your State Farm agent may be unwilling to insure it as such and/or you may have to buy another coverage policy that comes from RV specialty insurance companies. Do a search here on trailer insurance and I will bet someone has had these issues before. Hope you will post what you learn in the process so it will benefit us all. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi, and welcome to the forums!

We have a 1963 Bambi, and also have it covered with State Farm... because we restored ours we were able to place an agreeable value on it by doing several things. I took numerous photos of the trailer in its finished (restored) condition and sent them to the local agent. I also gave them information on what we paid for it, etc. and how much we had "in it" during the restoration. From that information they did research on ebay and other places (I believe all online... research) to verify what the value would be. So, we agreed at a value and they calculated out our yearly cost. It was very smooth for us.

I also carry extra towing insurance via AAA. If your tow vehicle breaks down, your insurance may tow it to get it fixed, but your trailer is generally not covered. You will need extra tow insurance so they will make another trip and tow your trailer somewhere safe rather than leave it on the side of the road... You might include questions on this when speaking to your insurance folks.

Good luck! Post some pics and let us know how it all goes!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:09 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. i am also a new Airstream owner. i have been a proud owner of my 58' 18 footer for two weeks. i tried her out at a rally last weekend and had a blast. she needs some work but, that will happen over time. sorry i don't know the answer to your question. my insurance company only asked what i paid for it and what i thought she was worth if i sold her again. i got her for a great deal. i will look up the extra towing insurance mensioned here in this thread....good idea.

happy trailering,
Sandra
drsbeddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
67 Trade Wind

I have an original sales receipt for a 1967 Trade Wind somewhere amongst all my Airstream stuff. If I recall, it's original sticker tag was right around $4000. So, since your trailer is a Safari, I'd say around $3700 depending on what options you had, could be a litttle less or more. Options (things like tire saver (a round spring steel under the axle to save the tire in case of blow out (common on single axle trailers but an option)), dead bolt, etc..........).. Hope this helps. Somewhere I have the 67 User's manual and the sticker tag was in it.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I have made mention of this before but I think it is probably worth repeating here. A year ago I was involved with a pick-up while driving my Audi A4. Highway Patrol investingating the accident could not determine fault so none was assigned - we each let our insurance companies handle our own repairs. I had $2,500 worth of damage to my front end - the pick up was totaled. When I went to the repair shop I was asked who my insurance carrier was and I told it was State Farm - no problem, didn't even need estimates. When I told them the carrier for the pick up (one that has been mentioned on this thread) they told me it was a good thing I didn't have that insurance as they wouldn't touch my auto if I had that insurance! CHECK WITH A REPAIR SHOP OR TWO in your area to see if they have any problems with an insurance company BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. It will save you mucho headaches down the road - if you ever need them. Good luck and welcome.
Prodigy Brake Controls
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello John -- Welcome to the Forums!

tslanier has covered older Airstream insurance in http://www.airforums.com/forums/f342...ons-37846.html (see post 5 links to more of his discussions).

Other ideas? Progressive Direct. Look at USAA if you qualify. Some threads (there are many!):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...age-37068.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...nce-28912.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have insured our 1974 with Geico, along with the tow vehicle. I asked for it to be insured for $10,000. They agreed, but said the trailer as-is was not worth that amount, and it would be up to me to prove the additional value. So, save all your receipts for everything you do to your coach, it may make the difference between a $1,000 check, and one much higher, if the coach somehow gets totalled. That is a good idea no matter what insurance company you use. Our insurance, for the $10,000 value, loss of use, personal property loss, and an additional $100,000 liability runs just over $100/year.
Also, our Sovereign cost just over $10,000 new, or roughly the cost of a new Sedan DeVille of the same year.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I have insured our 1974 with Geico, along with the tow vehicle...
I have heard great things about both Geico and State Farm but unfortunately neither company operates in MA.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote