Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I have heard great things about both Geico and State Farm but unfortunately neither company operates in MA.
If AIG operates there, they own a large portion of Geico...
Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #22
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjagnew
Greetings from San Diego, California.
Nice! another SD Airstream (I"m near to Balboa Park.)

Insurance: USAA is great by all accounts. They've opened up their membership to relatives of servicemembers. Got a parent who was in the military? a son or daughter? brother? sistter? ditto for you wife?

A long-time friend worked many years for Geico, who told us (a few years ago) USAA is the absolute best, hands down. Might be worth exploring thier rates/options.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
1966 suggested retail prices for 22' Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjagnew
Greetings from San Diego, California. ... Okay, knowing that I am communicating with "Airstream Pros", I'm hoping that someone can answer this question. I contacted State Farm insurance to get a policy in place and they asked me if I knew roughly what the trailer cost brand new back in '67. I can't seem to find this anywhere, aside from trying the actual factory. Does anyone have a "guestimate" of how much it might have been? Thanks a bunch! John
Hi John:

I don't have a price list for 1967 models, but Airstream's 1966 Price Schedule shows the 22' Safari in Land Yacht trim had a suggested retail price of $5,310.00 and in International Land Yacht trim had a suggested retail price of $5,925.00. Add $300.00 for the annual price increase to get a very good estimate for 1967 model year 22' Safari trailers. Your Safari's trim level should be listed on its serial number plate and should also be revealed by its exterior badging. Hope this helps.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #24
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I have heard great things about both Geico and State Farm but unfortunately neither company operates in MA.
After 20 some years with State Farm It is likely I will be jumping ship.
The problem. I leased one of my vehicles to a friend and my insurance went up. They also ill not insure my property (liability) since it has no structures on it. At the suggestion of Blu_hwy_ldy I am taking a look at Travelers.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
After 20 some years with State Farm It is likely I will be jumping ship.
The problem. I leased one of my vehicles to a friend and my insurance went up. They also ill not insure my property (liability) since it has no structures on it. At the suggestion of Blu_hwy_ldy I am taking a look at Travelers.
I'm wondering out loud if insurance company differences are related to the state or town the company is located in -- or even the office itself. Case in point -- when I was shopping around for homeowners insurance in various states, the rules and rates differed for the same company (i.e., State Farm) located inside and outside the same state. It was almost as if the individual office could dictate its own rules for what they would and would not insure.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
San Diego , California
Many, many thanks to all of you!

Wow, what a great group of people. Thank you to each of you for your responses. The information you shared with me is invaluable. Now I just need to post some pics of my new hobby. Thanks again folks! John
jjagnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
USAA won't consider a vintage

Yesterday I tried to get insurance for my 66 Caravel from USAA. I was told that they did not offer that coverage. Would not consider it and referred me to other Companies. What are you all insuring if you say you use USAA? Must be newer Airstreams. Still looking for an insurance company.....anyone have a good company with vintage Airstream experience?
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Melody Ranch,
I too have USAA insurance on my 81. I am fully covered as long as the trailer is hitched to the truck - The liability from the truck extends to the trailer and I was able to get the trailer fully covered for collison for a few $$ more....... Interesting they also asked me what the value of the trailer was when new.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
and it continues

Now, after many minutes on the phone....State Farm will not insure the Airstream unless I move my TV over to them as well. I hate to leave USAA after 45 years of claim free business. The search continues.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Good experience with Foremost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Yesterday I tried to get insurance for my 66 Caravel from USAA. I was told that they did not offer that coverage. Would not consider it and referred me to other Companies. What are you all insuring if you say you use USAA? Must be newer Airstreams. Still looking for an insurance company.....anyone have a good company with vintage Airstream experience?
Our 1969 27' Overlander was broadsided on our trip to Death Valley on December 30, 2007. The person who hit us is insured with Foremost (a RV arm of Farmers). We were able to convince the insurance company that our trailer was "restored and collectible." We had receipts for all of our improvements, photographs of the trailer both inside and out, and we had a professional appraiser prepare a report. We were very happy with the settlement of our claim. We are insured with Safeco and had claimed the value of what we had in the trailer when we added the trailer to our policy. Not sure if that had anything to do with the settlement or not. The other party was 100% at fault so our insurance company did not get involved because we settled with Foremost.

It seems to me that the trailer can be added to your current auto/truck policy- but we stressed to our agent that our Airstream was not just an old 1969 travel trailer and we wanted to insure it for what we had into it. We provided documentation from the beginning--and upped the value as we went along. Ultimately we had to show what other comparable trailers were selling for and it helped that there are so many restorations on line. And polishing the trailer sure helped our cause. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
My 65 Caravel is insured w/AAA.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.

-John Muir
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote