Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #1

Kirkland , Washington
Should I buy?

Hello!

I am new to the forum, and new to the world of airstream restoration. I have done plenty of home remodels and restorations, and have always dreamed of restoring one for extra living space, or for travel.

I have an opportunity to purchase this trailer for $500... I am told it's a 1977 31 ft. and I am having doubts about purchasing. I think that I am going to come across very few airstreams here in the pacific northwest for that price, but after viewing it, I'm a little overwhelmed at the potential of the project and if I have the time and money to get started on the restoration.

At this time, I do not have tons of money to put into it, and want to just clean up the exterior so that it is presentable in my driveway, and clean up the interior so that it can be a dry clean place for storage. Further down the road I would have hopes of restoring completely.

This is missing the rear bumper and I am unable to determine if the back is sagging.

Any thoughts or advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7300.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	185979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7270.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	185980  

Name:	IMG_7271.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	185981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7268.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	185982  

Name:	IMG_7274.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	185983  
blommy224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I bought my 77' 31 foot Sovereign for $800, but it had a newer Carrier AirV AC, a newer Iota DLS-55 Inverter, a newer water heater and water pump. It looked just like yours on the inside. Mostly gutted, but that is the way I wanted it as I am in the process (slowly) of turning it in to MY Airstream. All systems turned out to be in tact. I didn't necessarily know it at the time other than the 120V system, as the previous owner was using it to sleep in at his company and running the AC at night. It's a long and tediou$ proce$$ to get from that condition to roadworthy, but if that is what you want to do... $500 is a small investment. If you get overwhelmed, which happens easily, you can probably get your money back fairly quickly. Or, just use it as a storage shed! You can't buy a shed that cool, that size for $500!

As a person with an aluminum addiction, I say grab it.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Hello and welcome to the fun world of Airstream's.

The shell looks good for the most part which is in my opinion the most important thing. Everything I else is repairable or replaceable, just takes time,money,patience and lots of research.
I'd go for it as long as you realize it's going to be a ton of work and more than likely take 3-4 times longer than you think.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
The shell looks to be in excellent condition. I assume that if there had been dents on the curb side that you would have posted pics of it....
She's worth $500 as scrap although I hate to use that word in the same sentence as "Airstream."

When I get an opportunity I'm not sure about, I imagine that the time is past. Would I regret not grabbing such a thing later on? Would I think the renovation is not fun or would I really get into it? If the shell/windows are sound and not leaking then you have the time to get to it later when you have more money. Only you can answer those questions....

But I hope you vote in favor!
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote