Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2007, 04:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
market forces... Airstream prices...

How closely do you think the RV market is tied to the real estate/property market? (after all, they are considered ‘residences’ for tax purposes) Do you think the current housing slump we’re experiencing is also bringing airstream prices down?
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe
How closely do you think the RV market is tied to the real estate/property market? (after all, they are considered ‘residences’ for tax purposes) Do you think the current housing slump we’re experiencing is also bringing airstream prices down?
"Bringing prices down"? Where?

Actually, I don't think the housing market has anything to do with the RV market (except maybe to forgo a house and full-time). Mostly fuel prices and the associated costs of going on the road - decreased gas/diesel mileage means buying more fuel. And then, it wouldn't necessarily mean lower RV prices but better terms and "deals" from the dealerships. Manufacturers may also skip on amenities to lower weight - use different materials, etc. in marketing new models. But the housing slump? Naw... don't think so.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
New-Home Sales Tumble to 7-Year Low

by bringing prices down, I meant, the amount of markup/profit the dealer is going to hold to...
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Mark up is related to how much competition they are facing, not the housing slump. Airstream dealers are selling a legend. Airstream has a limited number of dealers so you have to travel along way to buy one cheaper, so therefore the dealers know you will not want to spend the money to travel to pick one up and therefore they do not need to be as competitive. Airstream marks their product up because it is a legend and the dealers do the same
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Airstream has a limited number of dealers so you have to travel along way to buy one cheaper, so therefore the dealers know you will not want to spend the money to travel to pick one up and therefore they do not need to be as competitive.
When I was shopping for my Airstream, I did this very thing. I was negotiating with a dealer in San Antonio, and told him I was also talking with the dealler in Lubbock. He lowered his price another 11%, and I bought from him. About a year later, we were visiting and he told me that he really thought I'd go to Lubbock to make my purchase. I told him he was right, and he was. Spending a $100 or so on fuel on an 800 mile trip, and saving a few thousand more would have been well worth the trip to me.

____Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 01:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Coral Springs , FL
Buying Any RV

I just bought my barely used 2021 AI 24GT from a dealer - more than 1,000 miles away from home. I had been shopping on RVTrader for a 24GT for several weeks, and when I was finally ready to buy the perfect one for me, I contacted several dealers and private sellers, and made my cash offer. The "bottom line" price from various sellers around the country for the exact same 2021 24GT (with mileage between 12,000 to 35,000 miles) varied in a range of $50,000!

My point is that no matter what type/make/model/color/option RV you are seeking, when you find the one you want, be willing to travel anywhere in the country to go buy it and drive it home. I'm always amazed at RV buyers who buy at their "local" dealer and pay a lot more because they think they'll get better or faster service when needed because they bought there. I've never found that to be the case. Get the best deal by being willing/able to travel anywhere to get your dream RV. I probably saved $30,000 by spending about $300 to travel 7 states away.

John
Op-Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
market forces... Airstream prices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post

Historically, homes appreciate, trailers depreciate. Attitudes affect Trailer sales and are affected when mortgages are high and people get skittish about taking on additional debt. Money costs is what is driving the housing slump. Labor is high and that translates into higher prices for both.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 03:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Colorado Springs , Colorado
You guys are responding to a post from 2007. Now that was a real housing slump.
zackro is offline   Reply With Quote