Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

beacon , NY
I need help!

Seriously considering two units which i am going to look at within the next few days. One is a 1984 Airstream International (31 foot) and the other is a 1965 airstream tradewind (24 foot.) The older one has been completely redone by a professional restorer. The other has been "reconditioned" and the only thing not working is the air conditioner (necessary for me!) Prices are far apart. I am looking for someone's expertise to assist me and making a decision. The smaller one I could park at home, the larger one I would have to make arrangement. Not a biggie but I am confused. Can anyone help me? Thanks so much.
lilacrosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
The Tin Man

2017 27' International
SoCal , California
There are definite advantages to having your trailer nearby... 24 feet will get you into virtually every national park and most of the State parks systems. 31 feet will be too long for some. 31 feet is nice if you plan on living in it over a period of time. It's a matter of personal preference and which matches your needs best. I chose one right in the middle at 28 feet. Good luck with your choice!
WBCC #4913
sandollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think there are a few aspects to this ......

(1) What are your needs? will either the 31 or 24 give you what you need in terms of space - only you can decide that!)

(2) Big difference in $$? how big and how meaningful to you?

You may well fid that the one that "Just need the AC" may in fact need a whole lot more! If you are not familiar, it would be good to have someone look at it for you if you are leaning to that one! If it needs a lot of work, and unless you could do it yourself, could be a real money pit!

(3)Some RV's advertised as totally restored are not that at all! Again, you need someone knowlegeable to check it out. There are people on this forum that maylive near you willing to help.

On the other hand, If it is well restored and is being sold at a good price because the vendor needs $$, it could be a bargain.

I have spent a lot of $$ in years gone by restoring British sports cars and never been able to cover my expenses on selling them and you could find a situation like that if you are lucky with a restored Airstream - or you could be spending way too much on something that has not been properly done at all. Again, best to get someone to look at it if you cannot judge.

Just so many variables, I don't think you can get a simple answer!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

Go to the "Portal" tab under the large Air Forums logo at the top of the page. Once on the Portal tab, scroll down and keep an eye out to the right side of the screen. There should be an interface that helps you to find Forums members who have volunteered as trailer inspectors. Maybe you can find one with the knowledge to help you.

If the one trailer has truly been completely restored by a professional (recently), then you have practically a brand new trailer. Question is, what does "completely restored" mean, and what are the credentials of the professional?

The other trailer is even more questionable. "Reconditioned" could mean they fixed the broken stuff and covered the rotten spots in the floor with Pergo, or any permutation. The fact that they didn't go so far as to fix the AC says a lot, to me. I would tread very carefully.

Maybe your best bet is to hire a legitimate RV tech who is knowledgeable about Airstreams, and have him do the inspection for you.

In the meantime, try and educate yourself about the common problems with vintage trailers, especially how they are constructed, and how floor rot gets repaired. There are many, many threads on these forums started by folks who thought they were buying a "campable" vintage trailer, only to find out that the floors were rotten, and that they had tens of thousands of dollars of repairs to do before the thing would really be safe to use.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote