Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
2008 23' CCD International - Should I sell?

It pains me to even make this post, but here goes. I purchased the above airestream new back when I was still dating a girl. We got married a few months later, now have two kids and thinking seriously about #3. We both work full time and I don't get to use this beauty but about 4 times a year. It's paid off.

I live in CO and all of our trips have mainly been exploratory, figuring out where to go back to once the kids are a little older. We've been up to the tetons and did a circle around coloardo last year - down to sand dunes, out to pagosa springs, through durango/ouray, etc. Our trip to Moab last week got cancelled because the whole family got sick the day before we left, and that got me thinking.

It's in good condition. Minor filliform corrosion on the trim that has had minimal issue since I treated it early. A little buckling on the floor this year (first year not in my driveway heating periodically)--assuming that'll flaten out. Pebble dents on the rock guards. But other than that, it's in pretty great shape.

I like the fact that this trailer is easy to tow. I'm a big tent camper (my wife is not at all) so i figure the kids will be up to tent sleeping as they get older. I can't decide whether to stick with this and hope I can use it more in the future or sell it and reconsider another purchase in a few years. Any advice would be appreciated. There's no burning need to sell it for the money, but I don't like having a $45k asset that I hardly ever use...
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Wow, you're in an enviable position. Living in Colorado, your trips are probably limited by cold weather part of the year. When we were young, we camped with toddlers; and, with small children, a travel trailer makes camping much easier and more enjoyable than staying in a tent, especially in bad weather. Also, a trailer extends the camping season with heating and air conditioning; and with women and children, it's great always having your own toilet facilities wherever you go.

Personally, if your Airstream is paid for, I'd keep it. You may be able to use it more often by selecting destinations further south when the cold weather comes. It's only a few hours drive on I-25 to great camping in New Mexico and Arizona where the winter daytime temperatures will be 50-65, instead of freezing. Also, all you have to do is get south of the snow-packed roads, and your Airstream can be a warm retreat for winter fun. We have camped (in Denver) in temperatures down to the low-teens.

Looking ahead, you won't always have children at home (hopefully); and your Airstream could be part of your retirement plans. With routine maintenance, your trailer will still be in good condition; and you won't be shopping for a new one (yikes, what will that cost in 20-30 years?), or looking at fixing and refurbishing a trailer that some previous owner has "customized".

So, if you're in a financial position to keep it, and your family likes camping, this could be a no-brainer. Otherwise, you'd be wise to sell it ASAP; as with time, it will only decrease in value and slowly rot into the ground (the destiny of all RVs and boats).

One thing to consider is resale value. After five years, your Airstream could be worth considerably less than you think, which may make the decision to keep it easier. (It may be worth more to you to keep it, than to sell it at what seems like a huge loss.) However, years ago, we stored a five-year-old van when I got laid off, thinking we would return it to service as soon as I found a new job. Unfortunately, it sat rotting into the ground for 20 years; and I ended up selling it for $300. That would be a shameful outcome for your travel trailer, even though a 25-year-old Airstream is worth a lot more than 25-year-old customized passenger van.

Just some things to consider...

By the way, we just retired, our kids are over 40, and our granddaughters now prefer strolling the mall with their friends to road trips with their grandparents. So, we're headed out to "see the USA..."; be back -- whenever...

Happy trails!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Keep it if you can, you never know how your wants and needs will change. Good luck on whatever decision you make. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote