Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #1

Murchison , Texas
Exclamation Need purchasing advice- 1982 Airstream Excella

1982 Airstream

I'm a newbie and don't know anything about Airstreams except I love them! And I love this one but I want/need to be smart about it. I would appreciate any and all advice! Also, is there anyone in the area that could inspect it for me? What questions do I need to ask? What specifically do I need to look for? Again, any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
whatisand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Unless all the work including the condition of the floors prior to remodel has been well documented I would not touch it. Granite does not belong in a trailer because of weight. Maybe other things that have been done that add to the weight. Floor rot is a major issue on trailers of this age and it can mean major work and a complete gutting of the interior to fix the problems and maybe hiding under all that pretty remodel.

Based on the amount of wood in that thing you are probably at or above the GVW for the trailer with it empty. It does look nice. I would not touch it if I planned on towing it much.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
It would make a great cabin if you plan to park it somewhere permanently. Otherwise, I'd have the same concerns as Perry.

It sure is pretty, but a camping trailer needs to have other qualities as well. A light weight trailer tows much more easily.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I've seen that trailer in the local Craigslist and had similar thoughts to those above... this trailer is going to be HEAVY, and I doubt anything was done to the frame or axles to compensate. The axles don't look to be too low, but nothing is mentioned about replacing them, so it's a question to be answered.

I'm guessing just the boards they've used to cover the walls add 300 lb to the trailer, to say nothing of all the furniture and cabinetry being heavier than original.

I agree that this would make a pretty park trailer, but would likely be problematic for lots of traveling.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #5

Murchison , Texas
Thanks everyone! The supplied information was greatly needed!!!
whatisand is offline   Reply With Quote