Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #581
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Check out the 200+ other items the seller has listed. Some very good deals to be had!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #582
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Check out the 200+ other items the seller has listed. Some very good deals to be had!
Howdy. Strange auctions for a bookseller, don't you think?

I am winning bidder on one of the Airstreams! A hundred bucks for a new one!!!! Cool.

I sent an "Ask Seller" message to see if the actual seller knows he's been hijacked.

What do you mean it will be cancelled. I won't get my Airstream? Awww...shucks.

I also reported both the Ebay as fraudulent before I bid. I wanted to bid so I could track how long it took before Ebay shut it down.

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #583
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Caldwell , Texas
re

I was wondering who bid on it
ibedonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #584
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
How do these guys get all the positive feedback? Is there a post in this thread that describes how the scam works?
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #585
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Caldwell , Texas
hijacked accounts , the real account holder build the feedback
ibedonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #586
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Unhappy Tko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibedonc
I was wondering who bid on it
I got the message from Ebay: the auction was pulled, and all bids cancelled. I got my email notification at 16:29 (I don't remember what time zone they are in). No $100 Airstream for me...

I also got an email from Ebay that said they had noticed an email sent from me to the seller, and Ebay wanted to remind me that transactions completed outside Ebay are not safe. Gosh, that's no fun...and I was going to send cash in the mail too..

AIR 1753
Old 02-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #587
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
250081593173 reported at 7:00AM Arizona time

Mike

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #588
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Scammer listing gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
250081593173 reported at 7:00AM Arizona time

Mike
Howdy, Mike. Good catch. I saw the listing, and tried to report it, but the report link didn't work. I refreshed it several times, and saw a new Ask Seller question and answer appear ("You are being ripped off. I did not list this trailer"), but then it became inactive. I am going now to Yahoo and report the email address used for the fraud.

AIR 1753
Old 02-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #589
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You know, with the amount of Airstreams that appear in fraudulent e-bay listings alone, you would think they would have staff members that would check out every add individually. I know that there are thousands of listings everyday, but it could be random investigations on big ticket items or maybe write a search engine the would automatically alert them to auctions that meet certain criteria such as a big ticket item with instructions to contact private e-mail accounts or not to use pay-pal or something. I mean, if the CIA/FBI can monitor every phone call in the world electronically and kick out calls that meet certain predetermined profiles for a human to monitor, you'd think e-bay could do the same. If they routinely investigated 10% of the auctions to make sure they are legitimate, that would discourage, if not eliminate these scam artist. Or at least make them work harder and more creatively to steel from unsuspecting folks.

I have a couple of items that I'd like to list, but I almost don't want to because I've never sold on e-bay and don't want my e-bay account or pay-pal account hi-jacked.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #590
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Hijack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
If they routinely investigated 10% of the auctions to make sure they are legitimate, that would discourage, if not eliminate these scam artist. Or at least make them work harder and more creatively to steel from unsuspecting folks.

I have a couple of items that I'd like to list, but I almost don't want to because I've never sold on e-bay and don't want my e-bay account or pay-pal account hi-jacked.
Howdy. I wonder if they are understaffed like most corporations. Or have grown so fast that they can't keep pace with what should be done in all areas. Or both. Luckily, users have a reasonably easy way to flag an auction that doesn't pass the smell test: if it smells fishy, report it. Then, they can focus on what was reported.

Regarding selling on Ebay, and using PayPal, typical password selection criteria is important. For example, making sure that your password is a good one (not easily guessed or deduced) can make a tremendous difference in safety. Also, adding a combination of letters and numbers, with uPper and lOwer casE can increase the time needed to break it. I would guess that hijacked accounts did not follow these rules. PayPal is money, so it is critical.

Besides, there are more ways to be ripped off on Ebay than hijacked accounts!

AIR 1753
Old 02-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #591
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
You know, with the amount of Airstreams that appear in fraudulent e-bay listings alone, you would think they would have staff members that would check out every add individually. I know that there are thousands of listings everyday, but it could be random investigations on big ticket items or maybe write a search engine the would automatically alert them to auctions that meet certain criteria such as a big ticket item with instructions to contact private e-mail accounts or not to use pay-pal or something. I mean, if the CIA/FBI can monitor every phone call in the world electronically and kick out calls that meet certain predetermined profiles for a human to monitor, you'd think e-bay could do the same. If they routinely investigated 10% of the auctions to make sure they are legitimate, that would discourage, if not eliminate these scam artist. Or at least make them work harder and more creatively to steel from unsuspecting folks.

I've emailed them quite a few times. I don't see why they can't/won't set up a simple program to catch these crooks - the majority of them have the exact same m.o. So far eBay hasn't done anything

You'll be fine with just a little caution on what you do and how you do it. I sold (and bought) on eBay for 6 years without ever getting my account hijacked. Never "log" in to eBay thru an email link - no matter how legitimate it looks. Always open a new browser and use your "favorites" link to go to eBay and sign in.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #592
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Today, I received an email, purported to be from Ebay, in connection with the sale of an item in the Motor sales section of Ebay wanting to know if I was serious about my bid and wanting me to confirm additional financial details.
This email, for some reason locked up my email server for several hours, but eventally made it to my in-box. I immediately deleted it from my in=box and in turn deleted it from my deleted files. At that time, my computer mail server cleared up. My provider (bellsouth) informed me that the email could have caused all the problem with my mail server not working.
How this relates to this thread.
I am a member of A/S Forums and my email address dates from the very early days of this forum. Who ever these scammers are, they have access to the members list
as a reference for finding victims. The email had a complete and correct Ebay letterhead, etc. The reason I am posting here is to alert anyone receiving who experiences an unusual lock-up of a mail server with such an email to totally delete it from your PC system.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #593
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by winner
Today, I received an email, purported to be from Ebay, in connection with the sale of an item in the Motor sales section of Ebay wanting to know if I was serious about my bid and wanting me to confirm additional financial details.
This email, for some reason locked up my email server for several hours, but eventally made it to my in-box. I immediately deleted it from my in=box and in turn deleted it from my deleted files. At that time, my computer mail server cleared up. My provider (bellsouth) informed me that the email could have caused all the problem with my mail server not working.
I am a member of A/S Forums and my email address dates from the very early days of this forum. Who ever these scammers are, they have access to the members list
as a reference for finding victims. The email had a complete and correct Ebay letterhead, etc. The reason I am posting here is to alert anyone receiving who experiences an unusual lock-up of a mail server with such an email to totally delete it from your PC system.
Thanks for the heads up Dr. Joe. I have received such "official" looking e-mails before from both e-bay and from pay-pal wanting me to confirm key account information. I always delete any e-mails from e-bay or pay-pal if I don't have current bids into e-bay or transactions into pay-pal without opening them. If it's important, they will send me another. So far, I haven't received any second e-mails from them.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #594
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
list hijacking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner
I have some experience with mail servers and php applications such as the one that serves this forum. I would not be willing, given what I know, to assert with any certainty that this server had beem hacked and the member list of email addresses hijacked. Not all of the members have ebay accounts with the same username.
The most common means where my users have their email addresses hijacked is from spyware or virus compromised computers that have your email address in any one of the fields including, to, from, cc or blind cc.
Email that locks up servers usually includes specific streams of binary information that is used for control information within the server. These messages, when being rendered to an email client can cause the same effect.
Our experience with specific account information being used to spoof financial institutions is that the information has come from the users computers and has been rendered from a spyware bot that feeds the information to a zombie server.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Mike

WBCCI #2417
Old 02-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #595
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
the theory being...

if we get thies as soon as they're posted, maybe the scammers will get the message - ever vigilant
the latest one 120084585680

WBCCI #2417
Old 02-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #596
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Oh yeah, what a buy....

Only if I had the 2900 bucks for a like new 2005 CCD 25',

Check it out...

eBay: 2005 AIRSTREAM INTERNATIONAL CCD 25 SS TRAILER (item 120084585680 end time Feb-08-07 16:21:31 PST)
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #597
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Talking Hey, I wanted that!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
Only if I had the 2900 bucks for a like new 2005 CCD 25',

Check it out...

eBay: 2005 AIRSTREAM INTERNATIONAL CCD 25 SS TRAILER (item 120084585680 end time Feb-08-07 16:21:31 PST)
Hey, I bid on this ($100!!!!) and someone has already bid over me! Wasn't you was it?

I reported all 4 Airstream auctions (same seller ID) as fraudulent and emailed the actual seller (from his "Me" website on Ebay). I also asked him a question stating "this is a fraud". The scammer's gmail address would probably be as hard to report as AOL email abuse is (impossible: they don't want to hear about it).

AIR 1753
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #598
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Yeah,

I sent him a email asking for interior pics, and he wanted to make "financial arrangements" that included free shipping!!

Wow
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #599
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
I sent him a email asking for interior pics, and he wanted to make "financial arrangements" that included free shipping!!

Wow
I assume that you did not send that email to the Ebay "Ask seller a question", but rather the scammer's email? I haven't been so brave generally as to reveal my email to the scammer, but I have sent questions to seller (using Ebay Ask Seller a Question), and email to the actual ID holder when found.

If you want to email a scammer, I recommend that you open one of the free email accounts to use, or Yahoo has temporary ones that can be used if you have Yahoo. That alllows you to email without the possibility of them grabbing or attacking your regular email. Or even selling your email address as a confirmed email.

AIR 1753
Old 02-08-2007, 06:43 AM   #600
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Phil and/or Sue offers very good advice... opening a temporary account on one of the numerous free email sites is the best practice when corresponding with supposed scammers. If they know you have an ebay account, they can try to spoof an ebay security message which gives them your username and password.... the rest is obvious.

Thanks
Mike

WBCCI #2417