Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #57
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We all know that NO ONE in thier rite mind would sell that trailer for $5,800 bucks so its a SCAM. LOOKS LIKE a DUCK TO ME. Walks like at duck too.

Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #58
1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
LOL, when we first started looking seriously a couple months ago, I traded e-mails with them several times, figured it was a scam, but decided to yank their chain.. did my best to waste as much of their time as possible. After about the 3rd exchange, they explained that the trailer was not in fact in Louisville, but at a "shipper" in Vegas, where "her" brother worked.. When I told them no problem, my brother lives near there, he could check it out, give them the $$, tow to his house, and we would pick it up when we were back there this fall..... no replies after that. Wish I had kept the exchange now, I would post it up.

See our blog here on how two RV/AS rookies tackle a 1979 Sovereign resto!!

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
How do we know?

Is it the too-good-to-be-true test? But that just means the scammers up the amounts asking. I've been scouring the craigslist, e-bay, and classifieds here for a couple of months. I was scammed once by a "travel agent". Sued, won, and, of course could not do anything to get the award. All of her assets were in her husband's name. Makes you start looking up "Godfather" in the yellow pages. Oh well. But I sure don't want to get scammed again.

Those that use a period where the comma should be may be illegit, since that's a European/African way of writing thousands. Egregious grammar / spelling is another for me.

But is there really any way to tell? I would have done the same thing some of you did--trusted that I was looking at the real e-bay site. With airstream dealers and individual sellers all over the map, I doubt that anyone can fly to a half-dozen places to see the thing in person. What to do?
poems&songs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:22 AM   #60
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
and once again...

Airstream Bambi CCD International Length 19
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 AM   #61
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Here's my email to the turd:

Hello, are my name Blaine.
I very am interested in its tow trailer for the sales.
I represent a very rich purchaser who $10,000 a cashier control has given only me to make purchase.
I can deposit in your bank account for immediate to you use.
Please I request you send to me the number of your banking account and the number of routing of banks for the direct transport.

PS. I am also in possession of unclaimed large amount of money that appears to be left to you in your name by deceased relative of yours. Please forward to me your social security number, license number and state, home address- including copy of utility bill, and mothers maiden name for verification purposes.

Thank you and God bless

Blaine Farhquwat
Senior President of Operations
Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #62
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I think you just should have written asking for an address, and indicating that a couple of dozen of us interested parties want to drop by all at the same time to have a look ... and/or to get an almost certain sale, they just need to tow her down to Milan next weekend for the Metro Detroit rally, where there'll be a bunch of Airstream enthusiasts, all lusting for "just one more" trailer.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #63
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Mr. Farhquwat....That's just plain brilliant! Cracked me up!!! How could he refuse your most modest request! I think I'll save your 'reply' and send it to every one of those nut-jobs I find (with your permission, of course)!

Mr. Doolie Noted
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #64
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
he he... thanks...
and thanks to all who 'flagged' it...

ps. no reply as yet
Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member
1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
Sometimes if I'm totally bored, I look on CL for AS scams in hundreds of cities around the U.S. and flag, flag flag.
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #66
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
There is one on Craigslist in Phoenix. It could use another flag.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #67
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Airstream Bambi CCD International Length 19
Old 07-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Thanx all of you. I am in contact with this person. Always posts e-mail early in the morning which clues me that this scammer is on the eastern time zone. His bambi is in Vegas. I was thinking the ebay link would be a phony. I would have called ebay or paypal to verify legitimacy. So I think I'll play the game just to see how it goes. I did the googliing also and saw the same trailer everywhere. I don't think the idiot is too bright with a mishmash of all kinds of pictures of different trailers. Yep, I was suspicious that it was too good to be truel
I am going to approach someone in our area. They have an airstream sitting in the back of thier yard that hasn't moved for the 3 years that I noticed it. I will see if they may be in the market to sell. You never know.........
Hopefully a future airstream owner.........
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #69
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Even the same script

This one was listed in Columbus - sent them and email and asked to see it. Here is the reply - almost the same wording as a previous post except this one has a new feature - an odometer. What a great option....

Hi my name is Elizabeth,
The 2005 Airstream Bambi CCD is still for sale. The condition is from very good to excellent, the trailer has 19 feet, 4 sleep, the odometer records 38.422 miles, the body is travel trailer. Here are some pics: The title is clear and on my name.
My final price is $5.000. I already has tons of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out. I will take in consideration only those who are really interested in buying the trailer, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions that will lead to nothing. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions.
Thank you.
P.S. I will make a private auction just for you on eBay at the buy it now price of $5,000 so you can purchase it there.That way you will receive assistance for the purchase, paperwork, title transfer and an extended warranty, knowing that eBay insures this purchase up to $ 10.000 . After I will make the auction I will give you the directions, let me know if you are interested in my offer.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #70

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
"...the trailer has 19 feet, 4 sleep, the odometer records 38,422 miles. The body is travel trailer..."

You can tell that the seller is a travel trailer expert with an excellent command of the English language.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote