Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #81

East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Scam Bambi still out there on Craigslist

Here are the messages I got after responding to a Craigslist ad for a 2008 Bambi for $5800:

fromAlison Houston <alisonho@gmx.com>to______@gmail.com
dateMon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:34 AMsubjectRe: 2008 Bambimailed-bygmx.comImages from this sender are always displayed. Don't display from now on.
hide details 11:34 AM (6 hours ago)

Hello,

First of all i am sorry for the delay in my answer. I have been very busy these days.
Thank you for your interest in purchasing my trailer. The trailer is in perfect condition - like new! If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title. For this transaction I want to use ebay because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way. They will handle the transaction for me. You will make the payment to ebay and they will hold the money until you receive and inspect the trailer. ONLY AFTER you receive the trailer and you inspect it (you have 5 days for inspection) ebay will release the payment to me. The inspection time period will begin as soon as you receive the trailer at your address. Meanwhile eBay will hold the money into a trust account. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the trailer before you decide to buy it. This way we are both protected : i will know that i have a serious buyer who has the money to pay me and you will be able to see and inspect the trailer before buying it .
The trailer is priced to sell quickly and the final price that I'm asking for it is $4,900 including shipping and handling costs. My husband died in Iraq 3 months ago and I along with my daughter decided to sell the house and move to my sister. I can't afford to take days off my work for this sale so i'm trying to sell it online.
If you are really interested in purchasing the trailer please send me your full name, shipping address and your phone number. Ebay will give you all the details regarding the shipping and payment.

I will appreciate an answer as soon as possible.

Regards!

Alison Houston

P.S.: Below you will a full desription and the pictures i have taken for this sale. Please take a closer look before you decide.

Features
Type: Travel trailer
Slide outs: None
Water capacity: 21-30 gallons
Length: 19 feet
Sleeping capacity: 4
Air conditioners: 1
Awnings: 1
Leveling jacks included: Yes

FOR SALE IS A 2008 19 FOOT SAFARI SPECIAL EDITION TRAVEL TRAILER. RUGGED AND READY TO ROLL, AIRSTREAM'S SAFARI LINE OF TRAVEL TRAILERS SUPPLY MAXIIMUM CONVENIENCE, COMFORT AND PRACTICAL LIVING. INCLUDED ARE DEAD BOLT LOCK, MAIN DOOR KEY, BATTERY, FURNACE, ROOF AIR CONDITIONER, WATER PUMP, REFRIGERATOR, RANGE, SUPER JACK 12 VOLT POWER JACK, AND 2 FULL 30 LB. LP GAS TANKS.
========================================
fromAlison Houston <alisonho@gmx.com>to_______@gmail.com
dateMon, Jun 14, 2010 at 4:56 PMsubjectRe: 2008 Bambimailed-bygmx.com

hide details 4:56 PM (1 hour ago)

Thank you for your good thoughts.
The trailer is at eBay's shipping center in Las Vegas, NV and from there it will be shipped to my buyer's address. The trailer was listed for sale in an auction on eBay but I have removed the add because of some 'serious' buyers . They promissed they will buy the trailer from me but they proved not to have the money to pay for it .I have registered the trailer with eBay's Vehicle Protection Program and they work only with das auto shippers, so a local pick-up is not an option.This transaction is covered by ebay's purchase protection program up to $50,000 and if something goes wrong in this transaction you will be fully refunded. In the invoice you will have the details on how to make a refundable payment and shipping back the trailer will be my concern. I strongly assure you it will not be the case for a refund. I have used the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection in the past and all my transaction ended succesfully. You pay to eBay and they will transfer the funds to me only after you get the trailer.
The financial part of our transaction is going through eBay's Purchase Protection Program and here are the steps:
- I need your full name, shipping address and phone#;
- I will forward this information to eBay's purchase protection department and they will start our transaction;
- eBay sends you the invoice with payment details for our transaction;
- PayPal can't be used in this transaction because it only covers $ 2000. You will receive instructions to pay through another payment system;
- after they secure the payment, they will notify me and I will start shipping. Shipping will take no more than 5 days (2 days to prepare the shipping and 3 days for the shipping depending on your location).
- after you receive the trailer you will have another 5 days to inspect it.
- when the inspection period ends, eBay contacts you and if there are any issues with the trailer, they will fully refund you within 3 business days and the trailer will be shipped back at my expense. If all is good with the trailer, which I'm sure it will be, they will assist you with the title transfer and release the payment to me.
I apologize if it seems like I'm pushing on this deal but I really want to be sure that everything is clarified before any further steps. I'm a serious seller and I prefer to deal with a serious buyer.
If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, shipping address and phone number, in order to start the transaction!
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
tnrrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Just viral

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This just will never die..................
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
just google their email address and see how many hits you get on it,i`m sure you will find it posted all over the U S . Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #84

East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
just google their email address and see how many hits you get on it,i`m sure you will find it posted all over the U S .
No, that was the first thing I tried -- no hits at all.
tnrrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
F L A G

2004 Airstream 19 Foot Bambi Safari
Old 06-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
grand rapids , Michigan
tyring to find my stolen bambi state police found the theif he resold for 200.00
1964 17' titled and plated michigan.....I have owned for ten years...please alert me to anything I have been scanning craigslist and ebay daily..State police caught theif who
"SOLD" he said the guy wanted to rehab the trailer....it's somewhere right now.....like you would not know 200.00 and no title is a funny deal.....

patricenorman@netzero.net
patrice1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
here is the latest ad in this chain. The text is their letter to me after I asked how much the trailer really was..the craigslist ad said 2800. Yeah.. for a 31 foot 1996 Excella. ..sad she or he drags the Iraq vets into the mess ...I got a couple of nigerian scams in the email at the same time. Fun.

Quote..
My name is Trisha, I am emailing you regarding the travel trailer that I have for sale.
The Airstream trailer is absolutely perfect, never got any repairs,clear title and it has never been involved in any type of accident.I`m selling only for $2,800 as i want to sell it fast.
I'm selling my son's trailer, who died in Iraq four months ago and I want to get rid of it asap because the sight of it makes me think of him often and often and the pain is too great. Put yourself in my shoes and you'll do the same (selling the trailer of your dead son, no offence)..!
The payment will be made through eBay protection program and only after you will receive the trailer, I will receive the payment.Below you can find a link with some pictures.
I will wait your answer(if you are interested in buying it) very soon.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Thank you,
Frank and Trisha Anderson
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I already called "dibs" on this trailer and am picking it up as we speak.......
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1948 16' Wee Wind
Ada , Michigan
My pet hamster died in my 31 foot 1996 Excella. The pain is too great to even look at the trailer now.
It's with great sadness that I must part with this wonderful trailer that has been in my family since new. It's only been camped in while in a pole barn and has never left the building. It's showroom perfect and as the tears stream down my face I must offer it for the mere sum of $2800. Please don't be alarmed by my Nigerian email address. I spent a great deal of time there with my pet hamster doing volunteer relief work.
Thank you and god bless
Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
sorry the hamster death was a deal killer for me. I have options on one where they are throwing in a live pair of wabbits.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I've got $5800 burning a hole

in my pocket.

LIMITED EDITION AMAZING 19FEET TRAVEL TRAILER MUST HAVE
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 AM   #92
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
LOOK, you gots to post up the whole craigslist add itself, not just a link, 'cause they get taken down so quick, I can't get my research done in time to compare how each sale is set up..

Dakota's Dad... soon to have a very nice Bambi for sale, cheap..

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Even mixing some older models in there:

1996 Airstream Classic Excella 1000 - $2800 (columbus)

Date: 2010-07-17, 11:04AM EDT
Reply to: see below

This is a beautiful, Clean 1996 30' Airstream Excella Classic with LOTS of new/updated features and in great condition! It is a 6-Sleeper with queen size "walk around" bed and side-by-side bath area. This is just a sweetheart of a trailer, if you see it in person you'll want to take it home with you! The sofa and dinette have been newly upholstered, and are like new (pictures don't do it justice- the colors are much better in person). I have the original manuals, LOTS of paperwork, and maintenance records to go with the trailer. Please look at all the photos, they describe it better than I can, it is a VERY nice clean trailer!! For any additional questions I can be reached at : trisha.anderson42@gmail.com

This is the message I received back after asking where the unit could be seen.

Hello Gary,

My name is Trisha, I am emailing you regarding the travel trailer that I have for sale.
The Airstream trailer is absolutely perfect, never got any repairs,clear title and it has never been involved in any type of accident.I`m selling only for $2,800 as i want to sell it fast.
I'm selling my son's trailer, who died in Iraq four months ago and I want to get rid of it asap because the sight of it makes me think of him often and often and the pain is too great. Put yourself in my shoes and you'll do the same (selling the trailer of your dead son, no offence)..!
The payment will be made through eBay protection program and only after you will receive the trailer, I will receive the payment.Below you can find a link with some pictures.
I will wait your answer(if you are interested in buying it) very soon.

http://s857.photobucket.com/home/1996-Airstream-Classic-Excella-1000-photos/recentuploads?view=slideshow

Thank you,
Frank and Trisha Anderson
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I gots ta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Dad View Post
LOOK, you gots to post up the whole craigslist add itself, not just a link, 'cause they get taken down so quick, I can't get my research done in time to compare how each sale is set up..

Dakota's Dad... soon to have a very nice Bambi for sale, cheap..

I didn't realize anyone was doing *research* on this! The EXACT same ad is being placed in (4) loactions: Casselberry, South Tampa, Orlando and Orlando Airport. Boy, it sure can move around - well, it IS a travel trailer I emailed the seller asking where the trailer is located but no reply yet...

add #1:--------------------------------

LIMITED EDITION AMAZING 19FEET TRAVEL TRAILER MUST HAVE - $5800 (Casselberry)

Date: 2010-07-20, 7:00PM EDT

Contact me right now, don't miss this deal :
odell.phillips19@gmail.com

Year 2005 Make Airstream Model International Length 19' Style/Type CCD/ Bambi Body Style Travel Trailer Sleeps 4 Orig. Doc Yes Water Heater 6 Gallon W/DSI Water Capacity 23 gallon Black/Grey 18/21 Gallon No. Air Cond. 1 Awnings Yes Leveling Jacks Yes GVWR 4,500 lbs. VIN 518052 Exterior Color Silver Interior Color Blue Streak Interior Color 2 Tropical Oak

add #2:----------------------------------------------------
LIMITED EDITION AMAZING 19FEET TRAVEL TRAILER MUST HAVE - $5800 (south tampa)

Date: 2010-07-16, 1:28PM EDT

add #3:----------------------------------------------------
LIMITED EDITION AMAZING 19FEET TRAVEL TRAILER MUST HAVE - $5800 (Orlando)

Date: 2010-07-19, 7:21PM EDT

add #4:----------------------------------------------------
LIMITED EDITION AMAZING 19FEET TRAVEL TRAILER MUST HAVE - $5800 (Orlando(Airport area))

Date: 2010-07-19, 3:04PM EDT

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
As tempting as it is to send these "Guys" an Email reply....sarcastic and otherwise, your screwing yourself. All they are doing is collecting your addresses, and sometimes your Email contact lists, for their use or to sell to other Spammers. A good source for Malware too. Just ignore these guys.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I guess I should have, but I got a laugh on the last email- "the trailer is sealed and ready to ship from Kansas as soon as my funds clear through Ebay". Sealed , huh?
Old 08-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

Here's another one from Craigslist NY that got me going. It's still up on Craigslist so don't fall for it. Seller/scammer also insisted on Ebay because it was so secure. I said no, I'll come to see it and never heard back.

Tipoff was another ad for a 2006 Bambi that was $27,500 and had the same photo - it was an earlier ad in Criagslist.

Funny how they keep repeating the $5800 price over a 2 year period of scams.

Dream on
Dave

Reply to: b.peter@gmx.us

2006 Airstream Bambi 75 Aniversary
Mileage: 1,500 miles
VIN: 1STCPAA156J519166
Vehicle title: Clear
Condition: Used

Features
Type: Travel trailer Slide outs: None Water capacity (gallons): 21-30
Length (feet): 19 Sleeping capacity: 4 Air conditioners: 1
Awnings: 1 Leveling jacks included?: Yes
Dry weight (pounds): 3680

2006 Airstream Bambi used 3 times .Twice by us and once by the original owner.

All systems work as new .Trailer was warehouse stored for 3 years.

Two new deep cycle batteries

New Toshiba 20" Flat screen with DVD player

4500# GVWR

Stainless steel sinks galley/vanity

AM/FM CD

Two full 30# LPG Tanks

Solar Prewire/Satellite prewire

3-burner range w/oven (tested and unused)

11,000 BTU AC (tested and unused )

16,000 BTU furnace w/electric controls (tested and unused)

Rain sensored vent fan in galley

Reese hitch

Electric hitch jack

Heated tanks - forced air

Custom bike rack

This is a great unit ready for adventure.The outside shell has some blemishes and one of the seat covers has a stain the dry cleaner could not remove..A new one has been ordered.The floor under the table has a stain that I haven't been able to remove.

Reply to: b.peter@gmx.us

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1900716555
NYDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #98
Lotus72

1970 27' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
Bambi Scam hits Oregon- beware

Hi all,

Our Eugene, OR Craigslist had a 2004 Bambi listed for $5800. We contacted out of curiosity and suspicion about the ad. They did not want contact through Craigslist, but through their email: mclark40@msn.com

This email address has been linked to 2 other scams involving "tragic moves, deaths in the family", and having to sell vehicles (tractors) for half of the going rate. They offer to do the sale through EBay because it is 'legit'.

Right now they are saying the Bambi unit is in NY, NY and would ship for free to us in Oregon. They even sent pictures, which were different than those that were in the ad. SCAM SCAM Scam, I googled their email address and came up with reportings of their other scams.

Please pass the word around- it is listed in some places as a 16 foot Bambi, others as a 19 foot Bambi. They pull the add after 24 hours so it is hard to track. If you would like to see our email exchange, please email me through AIR.

Andrew
Lotus72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #99
Lotus72

1970 27' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
We just saw that same ad posted in Eugene, OR. We are working at pulling more info from the person, but I don't think we will get too far. When we googled their email address, it turned up in a variety of scam reports.

Yes, that desire to wound them exists. Wish there was some form of legal recourse, but for now, it seems they are getting away with people's money.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #100
Lotus72

1970 27' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
There must be some magic to that number. They also seem to at the $ sign to the number, use a png or jpg instead of typing (to save time) and still make lots of money.

They listed a 19 foot and sent us pics of a 16 foot. We cracked up at that one.