Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Question How did you customize your Airstream?

For example, as a newbie, I am just beginning to notice that there are different types of windows, especially on the front and rear. Have you seen anyone that added those w-i-d-e windows to their Yacht?

And in looking around at them in dealers' lots, I see that some of them are now beginning to sport a small window, almost in the roof, in other words, well above where the standard windows are. Can they be added? They give a lot more light, while maintaining privacy. What a great idea!

Thanks in advance for sharing the changes that you've made to the structure of your trailer.

Aage
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Aage!

I know Rich Luhr the editor of Airstream Life blogged about and included pictures of new windows being put in his Airstream at Roger Williams Airstream dealer in Texas. Here is his blog, I cannot find the specific entry right now unfortunately. Tour of America You'll have to look back in the archives. He had a wide window and an overhead vista view window installed.

I also read that Colonial Airstream of New Jersey put in a wide window in one of the new Safari Sport models.

Perhaps you can get more information from them on the installation.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
a very senior member of my unit told me " outside leave it alone and original, out of respect to the community, to Wally. Now inside, that is yours and you should do what you want...." So out of respect for Dick Perkins, I have done just that. If you do chop into a trailer, could you please do it to a 70's model.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
a very senior member of my unit told me " outside leave it alone and original, out of respect to the community, to Wally. Now inside, that is yours and you should do what you want...." So out of respect for Dick Perkins, I have done just that. If you do chop into a trailer, could you please do it to a 70's model.
Hmmm, what if you are altering a bad original-owner custom request? Back in the 50s, the factories would build just about anything to order. Somtimes this resulted in some cool originals, like double-door cruisers and liners. But sometimes it resulted in poor custom window choices, or at least odd ones. I think if you're still taking it back to something that was original at the time, it's okay in my book.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
I was looking at your pix on Picasa Web. Thanks for making my day, "What was someone thinking?" made me laugh out loud!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Windows

Anything can be done if you want too spend the money.
I am in the procees of changing out the door window on mine and added a door window on my 73.
It's your Airstream not a priceless antique.

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
In the factory brochure for my '77 Argosy 24T, 'Vista' windows are shown as an option - small windows (skylights, really) mounted above eye level. Sounds like a good idea to me, if they don't leak.
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S
In the factory brochure for my '77 Argosy 24T, 'Vista' windows are shown as an option - small windows (skylights, really) mounted above eye level. Sounds like a good idea to me, if they don't leak.
The Vista View windows started in the 1960's, and I have seen some pretty late-model units with them installed. Thesse can go either above or below main windows. The oversize wing windows are also pretty cool, but measure carefully, and check the radii of the trailer before attempting to install them. It would be a first-magnitude disaster for someone to cut holes in the body for the windows, then find out they don't fit.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The extent of customization to my Airstream is the inclusion of black and chocolate Labrador retriever hair scattered throughout.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Quote:
If you do chop into a trailer, could you please do it to a 70's model.
Why just 70's models ??? Just wondering....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
I wondered that myself. Hey I like and did like the 70s. Very, very good to me.

Anyway putting in a different size window or a vista view over it is not desecrating the iconic style of an Airstream in my humble opinion. And I tend to agree with Gunny, these units belong to the owner and should be customized at will and not preserved for the future vintage owners market. Purists who feel that strongly should buy up as many vintage Airstreams as possible to preserve them from extinction to preserve integrity and relinguish control and opinions on the ones that don't belong to them.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Yea fixem up the way you want them.. I like mine mostly orignal but I grew up in the 70's so I like that look...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
I was a young snap in the 70's and I have some "plasticy wood-looking brown stuff" you can have out of mine .

Do it your way thats the best.

Measure twice and cut once
Or is it Measure a lot cut a little off try it measure few more times cut a little try it? I like to sneak up on the final size.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgl6
just not a big fan... sorry. I am a purist.... please hate me if you like.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I wondered that myself. Hey I like and did like the 70s. Very, very good to me.

Purists who feel that strongly should buy up as many vintage Airstreams as possible to preserve them from extinction to preserve integrity and relinguish control and opinions on the ones that don't belong to them.
You are so right....
Old 05-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Aage:

Welcome. I’m a fellow Ontarian, nearer the end of an extensive reworking of a 1976 Argosy than I once was.

Virtually the entire trailer has been customized. You can see many ideas on my main thread, including the installation of a superior German roof light by Seitz and the addition of a window to the formerly blank door.

I bought the window from another forum member, Balgrn, in New Hampshire.

A long read but many photos and you may enjoy the trip:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I am of the belief that one can really do whatever they would like to do with THEIR trailer. We just purchased a 2007 International Ocean Breeze because we liked the layout. We are not fans of a blue and white interior and the Ocean Breeze look didn't really fit in Ohio. We tell folks we have a modified Ocean Breeze now as we have our own curtains and our own upholstery throughout our 25 footer. We even removed the "door" between the bed and the galley in favor of a curtain of our choice. We know folks will walk in and say, "What happened to the Ocean Breeze?" That's fine with us - we didn't want it so we changed it to something we liked! Now, we have saved all the original blue and white upholstery and curtains and door. When the day comes that we are tired of our AS and wish to sell/trade it, we will have the Ocean Breeze look to pass along to the new owner, if they wish. One day we will have photos of our new look to share - then I'll have to learn how to post them. But, we are very happy with OUR Airstream and I think that's what any of you should plan on - make it yours and BE HAPPY.
Prodigy brake controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Any customizing I have done was for functional reasons. New aluminum rims like on the new Safari rather than steel wheels with hub caps so that it is easier to check lug nut torque. LEDs replace 1141 bulbs to keep current draw to a minimum. Solar system (3 panels) to allow running of both Fantastic Vent Fans 24 hrs. per day if needed while only running one Trojan 115 amp hr. battery. Dual Trojan batteries will be added to the tongue next April if possible. One marine screw-on deck plate put in bed platform so that I do not have to squeeze my body through the hatch to turn the bypass valves on and off when winterizing.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Aage:

Welcome. I’m a fellow Ontarian, nearer the end of an extensive reworking of a 1976 Argosy than I once was.

Virtually the entire trailer has been customized. You can see many ideas on my main thread, including the installation of a superior German roof light by Seitz and the addition of a window to the formerly blank door.

I bought the window from another forum member, Balgrn, in New Hampshire.

A long read but many photos and you may enjoy the trip:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

Sergei
Definitely check our Sergei's "contemporization" for ideas and inspiration. It's absolutely beautiful.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
That's really, really too bad. Change is good.
FlaAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrades