Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Richmond , British Columbia
Voyager Rear Camera Pairing

Hi,
We just picked up our 2017 27FB last week complete with the factory installed Voyager rear camera, model # WVOS541.
Hooking up the remote dash monitor is easy, basically a plug in and push a button to pair...however it can't find the camera during the pairing process.
Trailer is hooked up, I've tried with the truck running, and also with the park lights on as per the manual. Trailer battery is connected and operational.
I'm stumped. It searches for 60 seconds and fails, over and over.
Anyone connected one of these things before?
Thanks!

(yes I tried searching for a similar thread to no avail)
Old 09-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Yep. Same here.

We have a 25' 2017 with the same equipment. Our experience has been the same. The dealer could not help.

Called the Voyager manufacturer and they said the antenna needed a direct line of sight to the monitor in the truck. Said the signal will not go through the aluminum she'll of the airstream. They recommended on mounting the antenna the driver side of the trailer so signal can "bounce" off the driver mirror?

I got an extended antenna from the manufacturer. It is a taller antenna with a 10' cable. The cable screws into the camera. This allows to move the antenna to a more central location on the trailer.

I have temporarily placed the antenna on the "heat shield" between the frig exhaust and the AC unit. It immediately connected. I still need to do some road testing to see if this is a final solution.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Thanks for the reply. Good to know I'm not alone.

So they sell and charge for a system, on an Airstream, that can't read a signal through aluminum without significant modifications? That makes a lot of sense!!

My dealer handed me the box during the orientation and had no clue what it was. I had to tell them.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I ended up getting a fully wired three camera system. Another umbilical to plug in, but I can see behind and also on either side as needed. Going to be a PITA and engineering nightmare to install in a tidy manner, but I will document when done.

From Rear View Systems, through Camping World assuming I remember correctly.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Whaddya know, I got it to work.

I turned the truck running lights on, and it connected immediately. Didn't even have to press the pair button on the monitor.

It won't work if the truck lights are in "daytime" run mode, or off. Only when headlights or running lights are on.

I think my problem yesterday was I had the trailer plugged into the house power. Can't remember for sure, but I did unplug it this time and as soon as I turned my truck running lights on, bingo, it worked. I even heard the wife cursing me from the back of trailer so audio works too.

I take back everything I said and thought about Airstream (not the dealer though, that still stands).
Old 09-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Voyager Rear Camera Pairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I ended up getting a fully wired three camera system. Another umbilical to plug in, but I can see behind and also on either side as needed. Going to be a PITA and engineering nightmare to install in a tidy manner, but I will document when done.

From Rear View Systems, through Camping World assuming I remember correctly.
(Edit)

Search the Camping World site for item number 82550. Not exactly cheap, but it's seriously heavy duty stuff. Side cameras are teardrop aluminum enclosures that I plan to flush mount near the front of the AS. I need to bench test to see camera coverage first. Drilling the new 3/4" holes in pristine side panel aluminum will be the scary bit.

Might be possible to get it direct from Rear View Systems cheaper...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
abone, I worked on mine today too. I had a couple of things going on. The longer "extended" antenna screwed direct to the camera seems to work. Going to continue to monitor that placement before trying to relocate the antenna midship as described earlier. I found that sometimes it immediately connects without having to search for the signal. If everything is plugged in and I turn on the running lights, I have to search to connect.

FishByFly
because I catch fish on a fly...

2017 25' FB Flying Cloud Queen
2010 F250 Lariat
Past: 2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
Past: 1986 28' Excella Twin

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

2023 F150 XLT
Old 09-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
By the way, I had the very same experience with my dealer. A box was handed to me with no idea how it worked. When I asked them what I needed to do to connect the camera, they told me that didn't know. That was after my three hour walk through.

FishByFly
because I catch fish on a fly...

2017 25' FB Flying Cloud Queen
2010 F250 Lariat
Past: 2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
Past: 1986 28' Excella Twin

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

2023 F150 XLT
Old 09-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
I tried my camera again, with the trailer hooked to house power, and it worked. So now I'm not sure why it suddenly started to work, other than having the truck lights in the right position ... I thought I had tried all positions the previous day. As long as it works when I take it on our first trip in a few days I am happy.

Regarding orientation - When buying our trailer I almost bought off another dealer, but decided not to because they were a 4 hour drive away, plus didn't have a 27FB in stock or on order. They have full hook up on their lot, set you up for an overnight stay with a fridge full of refreshments, and make sure you know how to operate everything before you leave. In addition, they only sell Airstream and Class A motorhomes so really know the product. That
is a great way to introduce a newbie AS owner.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Morrow , Ohio
I have factory installed Voyager on 2016 . Walk thru salesman could not get camera to work . He went and got " tech " who walked to truck cab and reached in and turned on lights . Camera popped right up . It's lovely . On trip home I immediately came to a detour and was sent to a area that would have been a problem without that camera . Love it .
Tech said lights must be on for camera to work .
Ninanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Yep, I was just going to chime in with the "running lights" have to be on. Works everytime. Happy travels!
Longboard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Voyager

Since the camera gets power from the rear trailer light, you have to turn your TV running lights on. My procedure is to 1) start truck (diesel) and let it idle for a couple minutes to let batteries settle down. 2) plug in monitor and power on. 3) WAIT 30 seconds then turn running lights to ON position. I pair in 1-2 minutes.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Keswick , VA
I've had one for 3 years and love it!!! Works just fine with our 25' FC IF the truck lights are turned on. This is a fabulous product and well worth the nominal cost IMO. Happy traveling.
herkvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I first real trip was a night departure. The camper paired as all explain. Once we got off of city streets, the camera would drop signal. It continued to drop and gain the signal for the next three hours. Tech support thought the antenna was loose. I hope the newer and longer antenna solves the problem. Also found that the auto light mode on the truck is not a good option as they tend to turnoff when departing my storage facility.

2023 F150 XLT
Old 09-06-2016, 04:40 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Your truck's running lights have to be on, where you can see the running lights on the trailer on, or else the camera will not work.

While there are dealerships out there that are less than helpful, not all of them are.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Our dealer was great. Helpful! Engaging! Friendly! Courteous! Kind! They were just not familiar with the Voyager camera setup. The gentlemen that gave us the walk through seemed a bit surprised a camera was installed on the trailer. It was their first 2017 sell.

The ASA Electronics folks, manufacturers of the Voyager, were equally great. They tried trouble shooting my issues the best they could over the phone. The extender antenna is my last resort. If the signal keeps getting dropped, they suggested taking it into an Airstream dealer for a warranty claim. Still may be a bad power connection.

We go out again in a couple of weeks and will see if we are "fixed."

2023 F150 XLT
Old 09-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Our Voyager camera system is powered off of the rear lights which means we need to have the trailer connected to the TV and the parking lights on.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Helena , Montana
Not Pairing?

After having a Voyager rear camera installed on our 2015 25' FC, the camera would not stay paired with the monitor unless I adjusted the antenna on the monitor to a more horizontal position. The monitor is on the console of my Tundra TV. This is opposite what the manual suggested. No problem since.
cango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We wired the Voyager to the power line to the reading light above the twin bed curb side in the Classic. We installed a switch with a LED to show the power was on. As soon as I turn on the dash mounted truck display, it connects to the camera on the back of the trailer which is just above the "Airstream" word and has just the stock 5" or 6" antenna.

We wired the 23D camera to the USB power socket above the bed with a similar switch and power on LED. Have an immediate lock to the display on the dash of the Mercedes using the stock camera antenna.

In both installations, the Voyager signal is being generated next to the trailer skin with the rear window glass perhaps a foot lower. The truck has a camper shell and rear cab glass for the signal to get through while the Mercedes just has the rear glass.

Maybe the newer systems have much less "RF" power?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:55 PM   #20

2017 28' International
Homosassa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
Our dealer was great. Helpful! Engaging! Friendly! Courteous! Kind! They were just not familiar with the Voyager camera setup. The gentlemen that gave us the walk through seemed a bit surprised a camera was installed on the trailer. It was their first 2017 sell.

The ASA Electronics folks, manufacturers of the Voyager, were equally great. They tried trouble shooting my issues the best they could over the phone. The extender antenna is my last resort. If the signal keeps getting dropped, they suggested taking it into an Airstream dealer for a warranty claim. Still may be a bad power connection.

We go out again in a couple of weeks and will see if we are "fixed."
FishByFly,
I have the same camera issues you were having. How did you resolve the problem? Did the antenna relocation work?
James7 is offline   Reply With Quote